Thread: Trip Report: Antelope Island in August

Trip Report: Antelope Island in August

This ride stinks. Well, not exactly; the lake doesn't stink either, it's the bio-gunk along the shore that stinks. You'd think a lake three times as salty as the ocean would preserve anything it touched and keep it from rotting and smelling, but it doesn't. Paying the entrance fee at the beginning of the causeway there was some smell today even in the morning. It gets worse in the afternoon, but once out on the island the stink was pretty much non existent. Don't worry about the stink, ride in the morning when it's cooler, and keep moving so the bugs can't land. Even in August the morning temperatures and the breeze off the lake let it be very tolerable.

Take plenty of water, there is essentially zero shade. The vast majority of this ride is suitable for intermediate riders, with the only exception being the very first (and last) mile. That mile is strewn with big rocks embedded in the trail and narrow pedal catching gaps between boulders. An expert rider with trials tendencies could probably clean all of it, but I had to push the bike through maybe about 10 technical sections in this mile. After that the trail is excellent for all. An alternate parking/starting point would be at the White Rock Bay Campground and you could skip the difficult trail around Buffalo Point.

Critter sightings were abundant: mule deer, antelope (it is Antelope Island after all), coyote, and bison. Honest we didn't chase the bison but they got running and huffing with hoofs pounding and bison snot spewing everywhere. Quite a sight.
    Attached Images Attached Images                   
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks for sharing.

I always wanted to ride out there, but every time I go there is either a horse race, or some charity walk. You have rekindled a spark again.
    Biking, Hiking, and Fishing are life. Everything else is just fluff.

Cantaloupe Island is one of my favorite bike trails. I always started at the White Rock Bay TR and rode south. I always rode this trail in early spring late fall. August seems too hot, but with an early start it is doable.

For sure ride the southern (Split Rock Bay) loop clockwise. I did it once the other way and it sucked. I would also highly recommend doing the out-and-back spur on Elephant Head. It is just a short fun mostly level section that leads to some cool rock outcrops and an excellent view of the lake west of the island.

There is a trail that splits halfway up the climb in White Rock Bay (near the lonely tree) that heads east then north toward Beacon Knob. It then descends down to the White Rock Bay TR, this section has a lot of huge waterbars and is mostly tore up from horses. The part from White Rock to Beacon is ok. In fact

Nice pics. We rode there a couple of years back, and didn't get into that singletrack. That looks like a better way to go.