Thread: cataract gorge

cataract gorge

this place is really neat. would make a cool overnight car camp w/ the kid. swimming in those holes though ? no way ! that water was COLD ! little deer creek has a very nice fall at the duchesne river th as well, and is a nice littel gorge of its own from there and up a ways.

anyone know why the cable zip line w/ the metal seat spans the river in here ?

signature

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Where is that? It's beautiful.
    The gostak distims the doshes.

Re: cataract gorge

Quote Originally Posted by goofball
    this place is really neat. would make a cool overnight car camp w/ the kid. swimming in those holes though ? no way ! that water was COLD ! little deer creek has a very nice fall at the duchesne river th as well, and is a nice littel gorge of its own from there and up a ways.

anyone know why the cable zip line w/ the metal seat spans the river in here ?
    Hey goofball when were you down there? Looks like the river was flowing down there. You need to go back when the river is being diverted thru the Duchense Tunnel.

No water in Gorge:

That zipline was there ten years ago last time I was down there. I have no idea why its there. Maybe something to do with the dam and tunnel above?

Too cold? Nah, just right!

James

hey brewhaha, that is in the uintas off the mirror lake hiway. there is a dirt road just north of cobblerest cg and south of slate gorge overlook - http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=...ad27&layer=DRG. it is signed for murdock basin. but if you follow the signs to the duchesne river you will be right at the head of cataract gorge. http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=...ad27&layer=DRG. it is a rough road. w/ my hyundai and some very slow going in places to pick a good line and avoid some high rocks, i made it all the way. but high clearance would DEFINITELY make for a much less streessful ride. if you have the ng/ti map it is labeled duchesne river th. a nice little lake right there too.
    signature

Re: cataract gorge

Quote Originally Posted by James_B_Wads2000
    Hey goofball when were you down there? Looks like the river was flowing down there. You need to go back when the river is being diverted thru the Duchense Tunnel.

No water in Gorge:
    wow. looks totally different dry.

and i was there monday - cloudy and rainy. the sun shone thru for a littel bit and i much preferred the flat, overcast look. much more moody and lush looking that way for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by James_B_Wads2000
    That zipline was there ten years ago last time I was down there. I have no idea why its there. Maybe something to do with the dam and tunnel above?

Too cold? Nah, just right!

James
    yeah, it made no sense where that line is placed. there is no way to easily access the river from right above it on either side so as a alternative crossing it is pretty useless. its a mystery...

and i must disagree, it was definitley too cold ! or maybe i am just a wussy ? hahahahahaha ! what am i saying ?!? definitely too cold.

when i got there i thought it looked familiar. i wasn't sure why, but thought i remembered it mentioned here before.

and is that you practicing your super-model-gets-wet pose ? you almost got it down pat.
    signature

Quote Originally Posted by goofball
    and is that you practicing your super-model-gets-wet pose ? you almost got it down pat.
    Yeah that

[quote=James_B_Wads2000]Yeah that

bump...

I was here for the second time this weekend... anyone have any ideas on that zip line?

These pictures make the place look pretty cool.... so if I visit this weekend (over the 24th) will there be water? I've never been to this particular spot in the Uinta's... any other suggestions for the area?

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    These pictures make the place look pretty cool.... so if I visit this weekend (over the 24th) will there be water? I've never been to this particular spot in the Uinta's... any other suggestions for the area?
    Such an awesome place
    I was there on the 5th, the water was low but flowing.
    http://summit42.com/wp/uintas-7-5-2010

With temps near 100 in the SLC valley we decided to head for the Uintas. Because of the posts on Bogley we picked Cataract Gorge and had a great time, thanks to everyone who provided info on the area.

If was a hot day (78 degrees at the trailhead, 98 in SLC) so we just spent about 3 hours in the Gorge swimming and having a picnic. The water was a lot warmer than I thought it would be and swimming was a thrill. The water was a little brisk when you first jumped in but it was easy to swim for 20 or 30 minutes without getting cold.

The 24th weekend is a great weekend for swimming.

Name:  CG04..jpg
Views: 3509
Size:  78.2 KB

Name:  CG01..jpg
Views: 3665
Size:  60.7 KB

Name:  CG03..jpg
Views: 3365
Size:  50.2 KB

Name:  CG02..jpg
Views: 3494
Size:  60.4 KB

i am guessing this is what it looks like while the tunnel diversion is disabled because I never seen that water even close to that high.

Was the water running near the TH?

I have no clue what normal is as this was my first visit. I was also unaware that the diversion tunnel was closed, but there were two guys down working at the diversion but no heavy equipment. It looked more like normal maintenance to me. Here is a picture of the water at the trailhead and at Little Deer Waterfall.

Name:  CG05..jpg
Views: 3377
Size:  82.4 KB

Name:  CG06..jpg
Views: 5177
Size:  71.5 KB

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    I have no clue what normal is as this was my first visit. I was also unaware that the diversion tunnel was closed, but there were two guys down working at the diversion but no heavy equipment. It looked more like normal maintenance to me. Here is a picture of the water at the trailhead and at Little Deer Waterfall.

Name:  CG05..jpg
Views: 3377
Size:  82.4 KB

Name:  CG06..jpg
Views: 5177
Size:  71.5 KB
    Good looking waterfall
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"