Thread: Your computer guy knows everything

Your computer guy knows everything

OK, if you aren't your office's computer guy, then you probably have one; some dude out there that knows about everything, just because he helped you remember your password that one time.

I've got a new job, but this relates to every place of employment. I've been the computer guy for about 8 years now, at various companies. The same concepts apply, I just happen to work at elementary schools currently.

Here's what I'm talking about:

I visit 4 schools daily. I've been here a little over a week, and I've been asked if I can do anything about the air conditioning. I'm still trying to find the men's room.

Some will even ask me where they can find the Class Lunch Schedule. Lunch? Schedule? Why- was it in an email somewhere?

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my job. I just find it humorous that the computer guy should know where you downloaded your 100X100 pixel wallpaper from, on a 1024 X 768 resolution monitor - and if I can find it again for you on the web using your vague description as a guide.

Now, I'm not bagging on my current job, because EVERY place of employment is like this. C'mon people, why are you asking your Tech where your stapler is?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

You are talking like you are new to the field dude. Computer guy knows everything, especially in the environment where we work at. Trust me, it happens at EVERY level of tech support. It doesn't matter if you are dealing with tech newbie end users, or sys engineers... the same principal applies really and patience is the only way to over come it. A little humor goes a long way in our industry....

Didn't you like my hundred e-mails today? All of that was due to lack of responsibility and knowledge of systems engineers.....

Quit yer bitchin' and fix the A/C! Be VERSATILE!!! Improvisation is the name of the game!
    ~Jason

Man who run behind car become exhausted...

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    You are talking like you are new to the field dude.
    Yeah, it looks like it. I've been thinking about posting it for a while, but I keep forgetting. Same ol' stuff, new people.

When I was the computer guy at my last job, I was also the Inventory Manager. I walk in, 2nd day on the job. A coworker asks me where we stock something in the warehouse, because I was the inventory manager. He'd been there for 3 years.

Hey Justin, congrats on the new job... Hope it trims down that commute you used to make.

But I feel worse that you have to spend all your time with Alex... You sure you can handle that? That's got to be worse than fixing the A/C.

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs
    Hey Justin, congrats on the new job... Hope it trims down that commute you used to make.

But I feel worse that you have to spend all your time with Alex... You sure you can handle that? That's got to be worse than fixing the A/C.
    Alex asked me if I had the Westwater video done yet:
    http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8345

I was like "I'm a computer guy. Why would I know about videos?"

And yes, I drive 10 blocks to work. I timed my drive home, I pulled into my driveway 5 minutes 34 seconds later....

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs

Actually if he had to spend the whole day with me he'd love it He has to spend his entire day with 100 pmsing females (teachers)

Hey Sombeech --

Do you know where we keep the manila folders around here? Let me know ASAP, thanks!
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Ya, listen

Re: Your computer guy knows everything

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    C'mon people, why are you asking your Tech where your stapler is?
    [youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=VCwC1NJgzl8[/youtube]