Thread: Man Who Caused Deadly Crash Was Text Messaging

Man Who Caused Deadly Crash Was Text Messaging

Link

LOGAN - Text messaging on a cell phone may have played a role in a crash that killed two rocket scientists in Cache County, authorities said.

Reggie Shaw, 20, was messaging as he drove to Logan from Tremonton, and his last communication was sent just before his sport utility vehicle crossed the center line last Sept. 22, according to court documents.

The SUV clipped a Saturn LS2, which then crashed into a Ford F-250 truck. James Furfaro, 38, and Keith O'Dell, 50, were killed in the Saturn while on their way to work at ATK Launch Systems Group.

Shaw was charged Friday with negligent homicide, a misdemeanor that carries a maximum penalty of a year in jail.

``It's just a bitter waste. These two men were just so incredible,'' widow Leila O'Dell said.

Even during interviews with investigators, Shaw ``was continuously receiving and sending text messages,'' according to documents filed in Logan's 1st District Court.

Shaw could not be reached for comment Saturday. There was no phone number listed in his name.

Prosecutor Tony Baird said a new Utah law makes it a misdemeanor to commit a traffic violation while being distracted by using a wireless phone.

Technology ``is something you're going to see a lot more regulation on, in respect to driving,'' Baird said. ``It's one of those things the public needs to educate itself about.''

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I constantly see kids doing this on the freeway going to and from SLC. I'd rather be driving with potheads on the road than texters.

That's the reason for our law here in Connecticut, no hand held electronic devices in hands while driving.

Quote Originally Posted by shlingdawg
    I constantly see kids doing this on the freeway going to and from SLC. I'd rather be driving with potheads on the road than texters.
    Kids? Hell, I see people of ALL AGES each day long driving while texting. Some young kids might do it more often, however I see drivers from 16-50 years old texting each day. Dangerous....heck, 90% of the people on the road seem to have trouble driving and talking on the phone. Driving becomes secondary to the conversation.
    ~Jason

Man who run behind car become exhausted...

Quote Originally Posted by derstuka
    Kids? Hell, I see people of ALL AGES each day long driving while texting. Some young kids might do it more often, however I see drivers from 16-50 years old texting each day. Dangerous....heck, 90% of the people on the road seem to have trouble driving and talking on the phone. Driving becomes secondary to the conversation.
    I can't imagine a 50 year old texting, let alone texting and driving. That just flat scares the holy living shit out of me.

I seen anyone anwhere "Texting" (not a real verb), and my fist thought is, "****ing idiot." The phone companies were brilliant to develop text messaging, since it preys on people who need to part with their money anyhow.

I offer the following, which would be funny as hell were it not true (2005, I think)...

Deaf beauty queen was text-messaging when hit by train

By Elizabeth Yuan
    CNN

(CNN) -- Deaf beauty contest winner Tara McAvoy was walking along the railroad tracks from her Austin, Texas, home to her mother's workplace, text-messaging family and friends, when a train struck her and killed her, according to the Austin Police Department.

A Massachusetts-born Texan, who liked to quote "Don't mess with Texas," the 18-year-old was going to represent the Lone Star State at the Miss Deaf America Pageant in Palm Desert, California, this July.

It was one of many pageants McAvoy had entered, "both in the hearing community and in the deaf community," said Claire Bugen, superintendent of the Texas School for the Deaf, on Wednesday. McAvoy was a 2005 graduate of the school, where she played sports and acted in theater.

"She was a beautiful, bright, young deaf woman," said Bugen.

The Austin Police Department received a 911 call from Union-Pacific, which owns the train, at 2:18 p.m. Monday, said Laura Albrecht, spokesperson for the Austin Police Department. (Watch as witnesses describe accident -- 1:33)

"Our understanding is that she text-messaged the family, and yes, the family members were going to pick her up," Albrecht added.

McAvoy was walking northbound along the railroad ties, with her back to the train as it approached, said Austin Police Department detective David Fugitt. "We have information that she was text-messaging family and friends" at the time, he added.

A horn sounded, but "they weren't able to get a response" from her, Fugitt said.

"At that point, they activated their emergency braking system, but they weren't able to stop in time."

A snowplow -- commonly referred to as "cattle-guards" for pushing items away from the tracks to avoid train damage -- was what struck McAvoy, who was estimated to be "no more than a foot" from the tracks, Fugitt said.

"The snowplow extends approximately 16 inches on each side from the train," he said, and was mounted to the front engine of the train.

McAvoy died at the scene from "multiple traumatic injuries," Fugitt said.

Fugitt said there were witnesses who had heard the horn sound and that the police department was actively seeking anyone who had seen the accident occur.

An investigation is under way with Union Pacific and the Travis County Medical Examiner's Office, Fugitt said. He said the Austin Police Department was awaiting information from Union Pacific on how fast the train, with its 24 cars and two engines, was going.

McAvoy's funeral is set for Saturday morning in Austin.

In addition to her schooling at the Texas School for the Deaf, McAvoy briefly attended the Model Secondary School for the Deaf, which is affiliated with Gallaudet University, in Washington. A profile on its Web site said McAvoy was class president, a cheerleader, on the prom committee and played basketball.

"She will be sorely missed," said Laura Loeb-Hill, director of the Miss Deaf Texas Pageant, in an e-mail Wednesday. "Tara represented Texas with dignity and pride."
    "The eagle never lost so much time as when he consented to learn of the crow."

-- Wm Blake

I can't imagine a 50 year old texting
    Maybe not texting.... but I've seen women of all ages driving and putting on make up.

Resident Southern Belle savanna3313's Avatar
    Southern transplant......again.....this time to Southern Utah!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    I can't imagine a 50 year old texting
    Maybe not texting.... but I've seen women of all ages driving and putting on make up.
    My friend's husband is a long distance truck driver. Texting or applying make-up pale in comparison to some things he's witnessed while passing cars on the highway. If you think people can't concentrate while texting or talking on cell phones, how about while getting it on (in various modes) in the front seat going 70 mph?

Never regret anything that made you smile!

In any event, when your not concentrating on the road, these things will happen. Throw in a person in a deep conversation whether it be talking or texting, here comes that saying about chewing gum and tying shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by savanna3313
    how about while getting it on (in various modes) in the front seat going 70 mph?
    GUILTILY AS CHARGED!!!!

I guess this bad boy needs a good spanking.

Yeah, texting while doing s....

uh huh.

Oh, sorry about that. I was texting my bff. So, what were we talking about?
    I wish my lawn was EMO so it would cut itself.

Resident Southern Belle savanna3313's Avatar
    Southern transplant......again.....this time to Southern Utah!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Quote Originally Posted by savanna3313
    how about while getting it on (in various modes) in the front seat going 70 mph?
    GUILTILY AS CHARGED!!!!

I guess this bad boy needs a good spanking.
    Never regret anything that made you smile!

This morning I followed a chick in the fast lane to work, doing her makeup the whole time. Front visor down. 1/2 a hand on the wheel the whole time.