Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: lightweight packing

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card
    Agree. Of Course, I am not one to talk. I packed in a griddle into Kolob Canyon just so I could have my pancakes and bacon for the long hike out Kolob Canyon and the Narrows.
    Wow, Scott! When do I get to do a trip with you man? I'll carry the ropes if you carry the griddle.
    Hey, I left the dutch oven in the car. If you go to Freeze fest, you'll see the dutch oven crowd (of which I am a part) at its finest.
    Life is Good

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I was at 32 lbs with water for a 66 miles in the Gila Wilderness. I was out 7 days had enough food for 9 days.
    Bivy
    Sil tarp
    one titanium cook pot
    all freeze dry type food
    WM Ultralight down bag
    one set thin capilene thermals
    Rain gear
    Aqua Mira for water treatment

A few sundries-- my pack is an Osprey Expedition series. Large vol, weighed in about 3lbs empty.
    You can rest when you're dead

seems to get a lot harder to pack light when you've got the wife along. I can't imagine packin with the kids...thank god I've only got dogs....
    Tear down Dams, Build up Dreams!

24 pounds seem good to me. when i go light my base pack is around 10 pounds plus food and water. i don't carry a stove so all my food is non-cook. i did a 8 day trip in escalante and my pack never weighed over 35 lbs. most was water. i had several dry camps so i carried a 6 liter dromeday and a 100 oz. camelback.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

the tent vs tarp

I just got back from Kings peak, and several of our hikers were tarping, vs tenting. weight must be the only issue here, but if i'm going alone my tent with rainfly is only 4 lbs, with another person we split that at 2 lbs each. is a tarp really that much lighter? what about bad weather with a tarp? so many questions, trying to figure it out seems to be a conundrum wrapped in an enigma?
    r

the tent vs tarp

I just got back from Kings peak, and several of our hikers were tarping, vs tenting. weight must be the only issue here, but if i'm going alone my tent with rainfly is only 4 lbs, with another person we split that at 2 lbs each. is a tarp really that much lighter? what about bad weather with a tarp? so many questions, trying to figure it out seems to be a conundrum wrapped in an enigma?
    r

i have a silicone impregnated t arp that's 10' x 12' and weighs 1 1/2 lbs. with the proper pitch i have set out some major downpours. its light and very versatile. plenty of room for 3 campers.

Quote Originally Posted by denaliguide
    i have a silicone impregnated t arp that's 10' x 12' and weighs 1 1/2 lbs. with the proper pitch i have set out some major downpours. its light and very versatile. plenty of room for 3 campers.
    Unfortunately, I happened to be right at the edge of the covered area during a surprise thunder/hail storm one night near Hans Flat - got a little wet, and frozen/cramped hands holding the edge of the tarp down!

I should have just woken you up and made you shove over. Or moved around to the lee side of the tarp...

Anyway, it was a great tarp, and I was so impressed that I went out and bought one myself; not the same one - a little smaller at about 7' x 10' and a little under a pound. Haven't used it yet in the field, but looking forward to it...

Up until now, I've used an Integral Designs Unishelter Bivy, at 2.5 pounds. I use it a lot in rain, snow and other assorted BC weather, so the extra weight is worthwhile to me - I really like its bombproofiness (real word?).

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000
    Quote Originally Posted by denaliguide
    Unfortunately, I happened to be right at the edge of the covered area during a surprise thunder/hail storm one night near Hans Flat - got a little wet, and frozen/cramped hands holding the edge of the tarp down!

I should have just woken you up and made you shove over. Or moved around to the lee side of the tarp...
    that was a blustery night, for sure. lol. i recall snow on the ground that morning.

Re: the tent vs tarp

Quote Originally Posted by rlm
    r
    I use a balck diamond light sabre bivy. its about 1.5 lbs and very very small in the pack. It kept me bone dry and it rained on us off and on the entire time we were up there.
    I'm not lost... I'm just GeoCaching

tarp and bivy

in a tarp what keeps the ground water from getting your bag wet? in a downpour?
    and do you go claustraphobic in a bivy sack?