Thread: silly question about rain gear

silly question about rain gear

With rain forecasted for my trip later this week I think I better get a different rain jacket.

I always have one of the thin "emergency ponchos" in my pack, and I also have used the big thick ones, but they are so big and bulky that I never use them for backpacking.

I am just wondering what people here use that is durable but not overly heavy and bulky? I was thinking about just running down to walmart and grabbing something

also a quick question about warmth. If all I pack is a polypro shirt and a couple of synthetic t-shirts will I be warm enough? Or should I toss in a heavier wool/polypro blend sweater as well? I would think with a good shell/rain coat and the polypro as the wicking layer a couple of polyester shirts would be sufficient?

These might sound like silly questions, but I am desert boy, raised in southern Utah. the Uintas and the high county afternoon thunderstorms are a new experience for me. So I want to be able to go fast and light, but still be somewhat comfortable.
    I'm not lost... I'm just GeoCaching

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

one more silly question.

I have a blackdiamond lightsabre bivy. with the regular floor but no extra footprint. will placing a tarp under it help in a rainstorm? I understand that it would help prevent some of the condensation from being sucked through the floor, but would the water just puddle under under the tent on the tarp and make things worse?

Make things worse, It will be just like sleeping on a water bed!
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

I like my Marmot Precip Jacket and Pants. As for shirts, get capillene, polypro is old technology, and it actually stinks, as in odor.

i'm also backing the Marmot precip stuff.
    i have a coat and pants i keep in my truck at ALL times.
    they've seen many storms and continue to perform super.

capillene is great too, i like smartwool personally, but use both!

I use a plain old walmart rain poncho. It's kept me dry. Do not put a tarp under the tent. Been there and done that. Lookin forward to the trip.
    Life's to short to short to spend indoors

You might look at the products from Red Ledge, too. They make very good rain gear. My wife is using hers since we boated in the N.E.

Not sure on the fleece, I've got a Patagonia Marsupial but it may be a bit heavy.

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

Quote Originally Posted by caverspencer
    one more silly question.

I have a blackdiamond lightsabre bivy. with the regular floor but no extra footprint. will placing a tarp under it help in a rainstorm? I understand that it would help prevent some of the condensation from being sucked through the floor, but would the water just puddle under under the tent on the tarp and make things worse?
    One trick from the good old camping boys is to not put the tarp under the tent but but it inside and place it under you and wrap it over the top of you then it doesnt matter how much it rains, or how wet the tent gets you still can stay dry. One thing that I like to have is a light weight drop cloth. In a wet situation that will keep you dry. And REI has all of there rain gear on sale right now, some pretty good deals.

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

For rain gear try the Sierra Designs Hurricane parka. Its pretty cheap (30 bucks) packs down tiny and works great. I've had one for about 3 years now and it goes everywhere with me. You can find one at REI.
    Some days all you can do is smile and wait for some kind soul to come pull your ass out of the bind you've gotten yourself into

Quote Originally Posted by Wasatch
    I like my Marmot Precip Jacket and Pants.

agreed, great stuff. mine going strong since 2000. each year i treat it with nikwax TX direct (spray on) to keep it repelling that water. very lightweight. packs fairly small. it's somewhat delicate though. i've known people to rip through it when bushwacking or clipping a tree when skiing.

As for shirts, get capillene, polypro is old technology, and it actually stinks, as in odor.
    it's been my understanding is that most of this stuff would produce odor, as bacteria grows, unless the material is treated (same odor you're referring to?). for sometime patagonia did not treat their products and it lead to odor, capillene too. however, i read more recently they've started to treat them.

Thanks for all the great info everyone. Keep it coming!

I have some Red Ledge and Montbell raingear, works well except if you are really exerting yourself you'll sweat in there, I don't care how well they "breathe". I now have a sil tarp/poncho for on trail stuff that covers your pack too, is very light, packs down the size of half a Nalgene and doubles as a tarp.
    I have a BlackDiamond LIghtsabre bivy too, I like a tarp over it to provide a cooking area in rainy conditions, and to allow you an in and out without rain dumping over you.
    Ground cloth is handy so you don't poke a hole in the floor, it's not very durable. I've used large trash bags before, just stuff under bivy so no edges to catch and funnel rain between you and floor.

I wouldn't use a tarp to wrap around in bivy. You'll then have condensation between tarp and your bag. I've had some condensation problems with that bivy and the Epic fabric in rainy conditions but not terrible. A sleeping bag liner can sometimes help that.
    You can rest when you're dead

just got back from logging over 40 miles, and three 13ers. It rained on us everyday!

Despite everyone's best advice I actually got cheap and spent $30 at Walmart on a Stearns brand ripstop Nylon/Nylon taffeta lined rain jacket. I looked at REI at rain jackets and I wasn't prepared to spend $100+ for one. When I saw this jacket at Walmart it seemed like an ok choice. It seemed to be very comparable to the Marmot Precip, and the 15 oz. weight of the jacket was almost identical.

I must say I was VERY happy with its performance! I stayed dry and warm while others with ponchos were soaked and miserable. Even when exerting myself the jacket seemd to breath well. I do NOT wear cotton so havng a technical fabric shirt under it certainly helped the jacket breath.

I also was happy to be able to leave home a wool/polypro sweater that I felt wasn't needed if I had this jacket along. Anytime I can use double up use on a piece of gear and leave two pieces of gear it replaced at home I am always happy. For only $30 I wasn't concerned about abusing it and I wore around camp as a jacket instead of the sweater I would typically wear, that I left home. It was very windy most of the time and the jacket worked great as a shell, far better than a sweater and the poncho that it replaced.

I am not dismissing any of the advice given by others. I have no doubt that jacket listed are great products. But for those with thin walletts like myself, I would certainly recommend this as alternative to $100-$200 on a brand name jacket. Make sure though, you first take a good look at the Brand name jackets liek the Precip, I say this because there were a few different varieties of Stearns jackets that I am sure I would have not been happy with. Such as the unlined Nylon and PVC jackets.

I also want to thank those that recommended the Precip jacket, had I not taken a good look at them at REI I would not have purchased the Stearns.