Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Opinion

My Opinion

Sure offensive comments are made on uutah.com. I can see, read, or hear offensive comments everyday, anywhere. Pick a medium, TV, radio, magazines, or even on the street, at work, at church, even on the Internet. I learned a long time ago that we actually make the choice to become offended. Unfortunately, users on uutah.com make this choice on occasion. They get run off, leave the site, get thrown under the bus, etc. This sucks! I hate to see it happen and it

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

uutah.com is 99% outdoors.
    I disagree
    I see about 40 new posts today. 17 of them have NOTHING to do with Outdoors.
    Not to mention 5 PAGES of discussion on Gay stuff TODAY
    Count them for your self
    See you on the Trail

Quote Originally Posted by Scout Master
    I disagree
    Count them for your self
    I think he was referring to the General Discussion section. But for sure his comments apply to 99% of any other section on this site.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Well said Acca

Re: My Opinion

Accadacca

Great editorial - it's good to hear a little truth in the morning.

A few comments below.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    I learned a long time ago that we actually make the choice to become offended.
    In order for choice to occur in the offended, there has to be a period of reflection in order to consciously make that choice (or a good habit of using a mental/emotional "click-safety"). That period can immeasurably short or last for days. More often, the 'reply' button is clicked w/o reflection or consideration and junk appears. Of course, I include my own junk in that statement!

UUtah is far better than many communities that I am a part of and a great resource for Utah outdoor enthusiasts.
    Agree completely - thank you for the great service to the Utah outdoor community.

.................................................. ...........

Quote Originally Posted by Scout Master
    I disagree
    Count them for your self
    UUtah.com has been breathing for nearly 1000 days. Taking one days numbers doesn't break the equation. And while your counting "conent" be sure to include outdoor related pictures and video.

UUtah.com has been breathing for nearly 1000 days.

Mabey this is a good spot to tell you thanks for all the work you do for us. Everyone from Admin to Mods. I bet you don't make much money, if any at all. So a big thanks to everyone who puts their time in on this site. Screw Maddox, THIS IS THE BEST SITE IN THE UNIVERSE!
    The man thong is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx
    Mabey this is a good spot to tell you thanks for all the work you do for us.
    x2

The thing we have to appreciate is the diversity of this site. Being able to cybermingle with all types of recreators with different opinions. I may think differently than some of you, but when we meet you can consider me a friend. And the way this country is heading we could use more sites like Uutah to curb the hate. I've enjoyed this site. Thanks
    "You Sombitch's couldn't close an umbrella"
    Sheriff Beuford T Justice

Well, I debated on replying to this for quite a while, and of course, decided I needed to because I'm quite sure it is primarily directed to me and perhaps one or two others that expressed our offense at recent thread content.

First of all, the click it choice is well utilized with me, I can assure you. I rarely open anything in the General Discussion. The only reason I opened that particular thread is because Stefan started it and I always find what he says intelligent and thoughtful. Yes, I am offended by it, and, believe it or not, I do not offend easily. I take offense when humor is generated at the expense of various groups of people. Would you all be carrying on a thread with black jokes? I doubt it.

The thing is, I feel that people here are representatives of Uutah every time they post. (forgive me that I care) Sombeech, Acca and others put a lot of time and energy into this sight, it's not a national site, it's a local site run by a handful of, I believe, good people. I have always felt that they try to run a classy operation, giving good beta on Utah outdoors, provided some fun entertainment, and even some interesting political debate. Is it OK to promote prejudicial diatribe here? Was that part of the intent of this site? Do the orginators care? Do they not? Is that acceptable? If the creators of this site do not care, and obviously, those that post that stuff do not, then why should I? I would think, though, that is not how I would want people to view my website - prejudicial. Perhaps I'm wrong. (and people can justify it any way they want, declare their nonprejudice with all their examples of their gay friends who find it funny, etc. but that still doesnt make it right)

I imagine I will lurk around still, find a ride to join or take advantage of the great trail reports. I will not, however, recommend this site to others anymore, as I said, because I dont want to be associated with prejudice. I'm sorry if you think that makes me... whatever, so be it.

Yours,
    Karen
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

I am sorry to hear that Karen, you will be missed if you choose not to participate. Again, your basing your opinion of the site on a few select posts of the thousands and thousands (74921 total posts). Please don't take this wrong, but you really cant expect every member of the forum to be a representative of the site. Its just not reality.

Also, if you had experience managing one of these sites you would understand that, "you cant please everyone." I was told this phrase in high school. The minute you shut down one party, you upset another. It is not an easy job walking that tightrope. I would hate to be a politician. You take these risks running ANY type of online community. It is not all within your control, you simply become a passenger and you cant steer the Volkswagen if your not in the drivers seat. The comment about us not caring is a low blow. My advice is to take a week hiatus from uutah. I have given this advice to others when things have flared up, worked for them.

Your friend,

acca

Karen, I personally enjoy reading your TRs and your posts, don't let it upset you and make you leave a forum. If you only concentrate on the negative issues, you will never find anything good. Any online forum you are going to visit, you will find something that offends you or your beliefs. Just don't participate in the offensive discussions and stay away from none-outdoors threads.

Even though a lot of us don't have the same religion, views on life, or work, I found a lot of cool people to share my outdoor time with and learned from a lot of you about different sports and hobbies. That's why I think this site is so cool. I come here for the advice and help in the outdoors, I get plenty of politics to deal with at work and I chose not to participate in any discussion that goes on these forums.

Acca, I want to join the others in thanking you for the job you do, and for the mature viewpoint you have expressed in this thread. I couldn't agree more. None of us comes here expressly to cause trouble, but to share our common interests. It's only human that a little humor goes too far and others take it too seriously. Hopefully, all these issues will settle down and we can get back to our normal good stuff.
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

Karen

Don't punish the gander for the comments made by a few geese. We all appreciate and gain from your input. None of the comments made were hateful. We're all childish at times. Please forgive us and forget what was said...and don't be a stranger!

Yours,

Rock
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Acca, thatnks for your comments and efforts, they are truly apprciated.

Uutah.com is a great site, mainly becuase of its variety. It's strong becuase it doesn't adhere to any sort of strict mission statement and has the involvement of wonderful people. I've met some folks in here like JP and Disc that became internet friends after some pretty raucous debates.

We all share a love for Utah, and many of us share an appreciation not only of good debate but of playing the dozens. And yeah, it gets out of hand sometimes and people get tweaked (but not me, never). Should we squash this, edit it out? I don't think so.

Back to variety: There are many times I visit this site just to read about new hiking spots and look at all the pretty pictures -- whether they're from canyoneering trips, high pointing, or jeep excursions. And there's content on the website I find obscene, but would never suggest it be removed. The Internet is a working experiment in anarchy.

Uutah has created a spot for all of us -- a diverse group. Just like Utah itself is a wild and wonderful place settled originally by outcasts and still a landing spot for "live and let live" pariahs. A few years ago I performed a same-sex wedding (that's where the Rev. part comes in) up in the La Sals, and at the end of the day realized it was the perect place for those of us who probably don't fit in elsewhere.

The Island of Misfit Toys.
    "The eagle never lost so much time as when he consented to learn of the crow."

-- Wm Blake

Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Coyote
    I love this. :-)

and thanks, all, for the sincere comments written here, I appreciate them.

Always,
    Tree.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

Quote Originally Posted by TreeHugger
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Coyote
    I love this. :-)

and thanks, all, for the sincere comments written here, I appreciate them.

Always,
    Tree.
    I have no idea what is going on here but I'm just going to blindly assume you are right because I'm pretty sure we were soul mates somewhere in Europe around the 12th Century. I'm just trying to figure out where your perfect husband fits into all this.