Thread: My hike up Lone Peak via Jacobs Ladder, 7/22/07

My hike up Lone Peak via Jacobs Ladder, 7/22/07

I guess I

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks for the TR.

Isn't peak bagging great?
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

It was like fun.... only different.

I love Lone Peak. Happy you guys made it to the top.

Sounds like quite the trip. Glad you made it to the top - nothing feels better than standing on top of a peak when you had to fight to get there. You gotta post some of those pics.

I guess 100 degree water from a nasty Nalgene bottle is an acquired taste.

Thanks kris247. I guess I'll have to get used to that taste. I have a lot of pics, most are in the video. I also have a longer video the shows more pics with the addition of mountain biking at Deer Valley, its just that YouTube limits video to 10min so I had to shave 6min. You can view some of my pics on summitpost.org under the trip report section of Lone Peak.

nice vid, brings back so many good memories, I need to make a run up there this summer. Sucks about the lightning storm. I got caught in a lightning storm of death up there one year doing it as an overnighter too. My friends decided tents were too heavy, so I was the only one with a tent. We lucked out and found some tarps someone had left, ran down to a gully (the lowest point we could find) and huddled under the tarp while the storm passed. The lightning was close, and the wind whipped while rain and hail fell for about a half hour (seemed like an eternity!) then it cleared up and the rest of the night was perfect. I'll attach some pics of the storm approaching.

Eric.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Your video is great. The narration is nice and the pictures move smoothly. Usually Youtube video like this is tedious, but yours rocks!

I am glad you caught the Utah hiking/climbing bug, nothing beats it!
    Conquistare al mundo!!!

I've done lone peak twice. Once back packing and the other time as a day hike. What a feeling to make the summit. BTW I think you would have been better off doing the Bear canyon trail both ways. Glad you made it though.
    Life's to short to short to spend indoors

Shaggy- I would have shit my pants if I was in your situation! I'm deathly afraid of lightning.

Madsjim- Thanks for your praises on the video, it's my first try at video production. I have a better one that has a lot more mountain pics and adds in mountain biking too but I had to edit down to 10min for YouTube.

Quote Originally Posted by edgetl
    I have a better one that has a lot more mountain pics and adds in mountain biking too but I had to edit down to 10min for YouTube.
    Upload it to google video, they don't care how long or big it is. I've uploaded a 2 GB video once, just use the uploader program if it's more than 100 MB.

Eric.

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy125
    Quote Originally Posted by edgetl
    I have a better one that has a lot more mountain pics and adds in mountain biking too but I had to edit down to 10min for YouTube.
    Upload it to google video, they don't care how long or big it is. I've uploaded a 2 GB video once, just use the uploader program if it's more than 100 MB.

Eric.
    Cool, I'll check it out thanks

Hey at least you made it! Tenacity, perseverance, endurance.....Way to go! That mountain has beat me up pretty bad too, but nothing like your trip!

I love Lone Peak, too, although I have bad dreams about falling for a week after I top it.

The last time, from Jacob's Ladder route, we didn't make the summit and were pretty glad not to. First time I went the 2nd Hamengog route, crossing the "bridge" from Middle Peak to Lone Peak. That was hairy in the snow and mud. Gack.

http://roadtrips.darktech.org/lonepeak/lonepeak.htm

Another great hike in that area is Lake Hardy. The coolest mailbox is at the lake, where hikers for years have left various notes about their experiences. I've got some photos and notes about the Lake Hardy trip here: http://roadtrips.darktech.org/lakehardy/lakehardy.htm