Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cops shoot protester in the head w/rubber bullet, then laugh

Quote Originally Posted by JP
    free speech, isn't it great.
    Yes.

Unless some f****** cop shoots you in the head when you're trying to exersize it.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by donny h
    Would these men support shooting a lady in a dress because they didn't like her?
    She was hit by non-lethal force. This had nothing to do with like or dislike. It's a compliant issue I'm sure. Yes, people can protest, but YOU CANNOT INCITE A RIOT. You cannot cause public alarm. Civil disobedience is not tolerated even when dealing with two people, let alone a crowd. When your peaceful protest starts to get out of line, law is there to keep order. If these protests are always so peaceful, there wouldn't be such a strong police showing.

Have you ever been or seen Mardi Gras in LA? Have you seen police take a lax attitude their? Hell, no. Why? Because all bad would happen. I even look at some of the arrests they make and I'm a little taken back by it. But, when I think of the bigger picture it all makes sense.

free speech, isn't it great.
    Yes.

Unless some f****** cop shoots you in the head when you're trying to exersize it.
    Well, not all speech is free. Just like I said before. Speech has it limits.

Hmmm, what's that oil company you have issues with in the La Sal area? I cannot remember. The one that wants to set up on all that open land? Little scenario.
    You and a bunch of like minded neighbors got together and pulled off a successful stand on that company. You're all standing around at a picnic/victory get together and you start discussing the tactics that seemed to keep them at bay, some of you wouldn't be joking about it?
    We wouldn't have shot anyone in the face like a bunch of pussies then had a circle jerk over it...

HOWEVER, that's not really what you asked. Yes, if we are successful in chasing the gas company out of La Sal, I will surely raise a toast in honor of the occasion. I'd use Knob Creek Bourbon, neat.

(By the way, the issues with that project have to do with ground water threats; odors; and noise from compression stations.)

Never trust a cop.
    "The eagle never lost so much time as when he consented to learn of the crow."

-- Wm Blake

Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Coyote
    We wouldn't have shot anyone in the face like a bunch of pussies then had a circle jerk over it...

HOWEVER, that's not really what you asked. Yes, if we are successful in chasing the gas company out of La Sal, I will surely raise a toast in honor of the occasion. I'd use Knob Creek Bourbon, neat.
    Hey now I know some of your tactics One of which is always waving a gun around and if you had non-lethal means, well I just don't know
    Then their could be even other tactics you shared in the ATV arena. Something to do with roofs Now, by tactics with that gas company, maybe some of you like minded neighbors might rig up something to cause their machinery to malfunction, one maybe injured and one might not. Would we still be toasting with Knob Creek Bourbon (which I'm not sure I've seen that up here before) when someone got hurt? Oh hell ya, mission was still accomplished

You cannot cause public alarm.
    YES YOU CAN. You can make a crowd as loud and angry as you like.

You cannot incite a riot, which is advocating illegal actions that are likely to imminently occur, anything else is protected speech.

Now, by tactics with that gas company, maybe some of you like minded neighbors might rig up something to cause their machinery to malfunction, one maybe injured and one might not. Would we still be toasting with Knob Creek Bourbon (which I'm not sure I've seen that up here before) when someone got hurt? Oh hell ya, mission was still accomplished :lol8: :lol8: :lol8:
    Monkeywrenching, while a romantic idea, never works as well as using legal means (appeals, lawsuits, appeals, appeals, appeals, public comment periods, lawsuits...). Plus, the ones who get hurt from that stuff are usually contractors -- people working doo-doo jobs for pee-pee money. It never gets to the people who foisted these idiot projects in the first place.

PS -- You and I should not be allowed on the same message boards. Far too fun, and I'm sure we're pissing everone else off.
    "The eagle never lost so much time as when he consented to learn of the crow."

-- Wm Blake

PS -- You and I should not be allowed on the same message boards. Far too fun, and I'm sure we're pissing everone else off.
    I'm just glad someone else gets to keep him occupied, now that you're back...

YES YOU CAN. You can make a crowd as loud and angry as you like.

You cannot incite a riot, which is advocating illegal actions that are likely to imminently occur, anything else is protected speech.
    Really, Hmmm.

Just found this from Utah Code -- Title 76 -- Chapter 09 -- Offenses Against Public Order and Decency

76-9-102. Disorderly conduct.
    (1) A person is guilty of disorderly conduct if:
    (a) he refuses to comply with the lawful order of the police to move from a public place, or knowingly creates a hazardous or physically offensive condition, by any act which serves no legitimate purpose; or
    (b) intending to cause public inconvenience, annoyance, or alarm, or recklessly creating a risk thereof, he:
    (i) engages in fighting or in violent, tumultuous, or threatening behavior;
    (ii) makes unreasonable noises in a public place;
    (iii) makes unreasonable noises in a private place which can be heard in a public place; or
    (iv) obstructs vehicular or pedestrian traffic.
    (2) "Public place," for the purpose of this section, means any place to which the public or a substantial group of the public has access and includes but is not limited to streets, highways, and the common areas of schools, hospitals, apartment houses, office buildings, transport facilities, and shops.
    (3) Disorderly conduct is a class C misdemeanor if the offense continues after a request by a person to desist. Otherwise it is an infraction.

It's all about the fun

lawful order of the police to move from a public place
    It is not lawful of the police to ask you to move along because you are protesting, it is legal to protest on public property, refusing an unlawful order to disperse is not civil disobedience, merely exersizing your rights.

makes unreasonable noises in a public place
    Protesting is not unreasonable noise, if law enforcement gets the power to decide that protests are unreasonable noise, then no protests could take place, ever. See 1st amendment.

intending to cause public inconvenience, annoyance, or alarm
    Intending to cause public alarm is not the same as saying things that the public finds alarming. See 'yelling fire in a movie theatre'.

You skipped a few.

You skipped a few.
    I only responded to the lines in bold, and I missed one:

makes unreasonable noises in a private place which can be heard in a public place
    Protesting is making noise in a public place, not a private place, there is no right to protest on private property, yet another supreme court ruling.

Utah isn't the best example for you to use, this state isn't exactly a bastion of free speech, just because Utah has laws on the books doesn't mean they would stand up to a legal challenge, it's happened here before.

It's not complicated: The people have the right to peaceably protest for change, in a public place. I'm not gonna' copy and paste the first amendment here, because every single one of you should all ready know what the damn thing says.

Donny H, haven't you spent much time in the Political Arena? Talking sense to JP just doesn't work.... I applaud your valiant efforts though.

With this post, I meant no offense to JP, or any other person who believes shooting women in dresses with rubber bullets is respectable. That crowd would be a nasty crew to tick off. I'd hate to get capped myself.

With this post, I meant no offense to JP, or any other person who believes shooting women in dresses with rubber bullets is respectable. That crowd would be a nasty crew to tick off. I'd hate to get capped myself

Tear down Dams, Build up Dreams!

I can't speak for the decision to shoot the woman in the head with a less lethal round; Plain and simple, I wasn't there (and neither were any of you, as far as I can tell). However, the joking about it later is pretty out of line, IMHO. It's just not funny.
    Damn you, vile woman, you've impeded my work since the day I escaped your wretched womb.

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs
    Donny H, haven't you spent much time in the Political Arena? Talking sense to JP just doesn't work.... I applaud your valiant efforts though.
    There's still more

And you and I are not on the same side of the fence when it comes to politics.

And you and I are not on the same side of the fence when it comes to politics.
    Wuddya mean? I consider myself a conservative. Don't we play for the same team?