Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trees

Trees

same ol' ... 1 photoperpost ... all trees welcome

i place trees, in particular conifers, at the top of my list of favorite organisms of this here planet. conifers (gymnosperms) have been around since long before flowering trees and find their niches in the most moderate and extreme climates. a simply beautiful and remarkable existence. the last remaining towering cathedrals of ancient forests of the pacific northwest are powerful enough to overwhelm one in unfathomable awe and disbelief ... or the bristlecone that thrives perched high on arid, rugged, windswept peaks of the great basin for thousands of years can leave one utterly speechless in wonder and wonderment.

i'll start it out with a slender conifer of the subalpine found all over the rockies, cascades and mountains of canada, and sits near sea level in southeast alaska. although more recently separated into two species (Abies lasiocarpa and Abies bifolia) which overlap and hybridize, it goes under the common name of Subalpine Fir and is akin to the balsam fir (Abies balsamea) of central canada and northeastern NA

i took this photo during a sunset through a smokey evening sky in glacier

Subalpine Firs, Glacier Nat'l Park, august 2001

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Sundance Trailhead, Dark Canyon, very early in the morning. May 30, 2006.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Nicely done, Cirrus. I dig it.

This isn't my favorite tree pic, but it's definitely my most interesting. It took me months to figure out what the heck was happening here:

Turns out that it's a palm inflorescence (cluster of flowers) that the palm tree was producing to attract pollinators. Of course, since this was taken in Long Beach, CA I'm guessing there weren't too many of the tree's native pollinators around.

Dude, that tree is awesome! I love the curves

Quote Originally Posted by Summit42
    One more with the fam for sense of proportion.
    Good idea - I thought it was much smaller than that in the first shot. Very cool tree!

tree in willis creek, GSENM

The man thong is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by kris247

This isn't my favorite tree pic, but it's definitely my most interesting. It took me months to figure out what the heck was happening here:

Turns out that it's a palm inflorescence (cluster of flowers) that the palm tree was producing to attract pollinators. Of course, since this was taken in Long Beach, CA I'm guessing there weren't too many of the tree's native pollinators around.
    That thing just makes me uncomfortable. Not sure why, but I just don't like it, yet somehow, I cannot look away. (kinda like the Kramer)

wichita mountains

signature

ozarks

signature

Big Leaf Maple, Northern California, May 2000[velvia]

I love trees as well - here is a pic I took of one in Hawaii last year

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs
    Quote Originally Posted by kris247

That thing just makes me uncomfortable. Not sure why, but I just don't like it, yet somehow, I cannot look away. (kinda like the Kramer)
    Yup, truly disturbing. Vaguely Alien-esque...

Nice shots all around.

yeah ... well ... so what if i'm a treehugger?

The President Tree
    Sequoia National Park, California, march 1997

I have way too many tree pics to stop at one but here goes. Trees are sweet.

Does anyone remember this old tree? It's in the Windows section at Arches...

Summit42: I love that Crack Canyon tree too. I have some really good ones from a few years ago from ground level looking up into the sky. I will have to find and scan them.

Another Swell tree: