Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Six miners trapped after Utah quake

Six miners trapped after Utah quake

[quote]HUNTINGTON, Utah - A coal mine collapsed Monday in central Utah, trapping six miners, less than 20 miles from the epicenter of a 4.0 magnitude earthquake, authorities said.

The Genwal mine reported a

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Wow, my prayers are with them!!!

Sounds like they still aren't sure if the earthquake caused the cave-in, or if the cave-in caused the earthquake. If the cave-in caused the earthquake, can you imagine the size it must be?
    I wish my lawn was EMO so it would cut itself.

This old bastard giving the reports from the mine is a complete nut job. They need to put him in a straight jacket and get him the hell outta there.

Our mine (Solvay) - when we had the 'collapse' or the massive instantaneous release of methane, triggered high on the ricter scale as well...over 5....that was an experience I dont ever want to relive! I watched it blow stopping material out of the top of the headframe over the shaft like a geyser...scary! Luckily, I was on surface at the exact time it happened...it threw me too the ground and sounded like a bomb had gone off...got that sick feeling at the pit of my stomach that my friends had just died....
    I really hope they make it out alive.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    This old bastard giving the reports from the mine is a complete nut job. They need to put him in a straight jacket and get him the hell outta there.
    Ah, you mean this guy?:

Salt Lake Tribune Article Link

Murray's meltdown? Angry briefing draws rebuke from House labor committee chairman, others

Robert Murray scoured the skies for the helicopters above Crandall Canyon, refusing to continue his disjointed, rambling Tuesday morning media briefing until the county sheriff chased them off.
    It was a public relations meltdown that prompted the chairman of the U.S. House labor committee to demand that federal officials take the helm of all future briefings on the cave-in that trapped six men in the Crandall Canyon coal mine.
    But in many ways it appears to have been Murray being Murray - an eccentric, passionate, politically connected coal executive who has never shied from speaking his mind.
    In his briefing, an update of the Crandall Canyon mine collapse that was carried live on national television, Murray defended the coal industry, attacked the media and railed against what he called a foolhardy crusade against global warming that jeopardized his industry and America's economy.
    Murray insisted there was no way the collapse was not caused by an earthquake - "It was a natural disaster and I'll prove it to you" - even though a federal geologist said Tuesday evening the collapse was absolutely not caused by an earthquake

Sounds like it will be another week until they can reach the miners.

This Murray guy sure sounds like a piece of work. It will be interesting to see if they really were doing retreat mining when the collapse occurred.

KSL (and just about everywhere else) is reporting that 3 rescue miners were killed last night after a "mountain bump" caused support pillars to blow out. All underground rescue operations have ceased, but they're continuing to drill (yet another) shaft from the top into the chamber where a mic may have heard noises earlier this week.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=1652323

This is just a bad deal all the way around. Sad sad sad.

I have been following this pretty closely. This is just one disaster heaped on another now. Those poor families who have the six trapped. Their hopes have got to be shattered by this recent collapse. And some sort of monument ought to be erected to the three who lost their lives in very dangerous conditions trying to get to their fellow miners. Dangerous business. Miners are a different, tough breed of men. My hats off to those guys.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card
    I have been following this pretty closely. This is just one disaster heaped on another now. Those poor families who have the six trapped. Their hopes have got to be shattered by this recent collapse. And some sort of monument ought to be erected to the three who lost their lives in very dangerous conditions trying to get to their fellow miners. Dangerous business. Miners are a different, tough breed of men. My hats off to those guys.

That means you greyhair!

Ya, this is an awful tragedy. I think our Hollywood Gov could get a little more edumacated before speaking out about these turn of events though. He's embarrassing himself and the mining industry.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by James_B_Wads2000
    Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    Ah, you mean this guy?:
    yeah that guy ... i read these the other day when they came up on a news search.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ariann...t_b_60412.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2007/0...n_n_60477.html

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card

That means you greyhair!

Ya, this is an awful tragedy. I think our Hollywood Gov could get a little more edumacated before speaking out about these turn of events though. He's embarrassing himself and the mining industry.
    My heart goes out to those guys...and it looks like the rescuers as well now that more haev died trying to save the others. I know how they feel though....we are a tight knit group underground, we may not like some of each others but you learn to rely on your coworkers to save your life everyday in sticky spots and you feel the same way. Family - Watch the industry tighten up a bit now...even though you can only eliminate just so much of the danger.
    Oh, and - this is my take - mining consists of 'development' and 'retreat' mining...you cant do one without the other...yes, the media doesnt have a friggin clue, as this bozo running that mine isnt blessed with a generous amount of 'people skills'...

All of the schools got the word today to go half mast on the flag. I guess 4 rescuers died in the latest collapse. Very sad. Very frustrating, and very sad.

Yea, more died going in on a rescue, my thoughts and prayers are with them and their loved ones.

Quote Originally Posted by greyhair biker
    My heart goes out to those guys...and it looks like the rescuers as well now that more haev died trying to save the others.
    it's tough ... honorable.

I know how they feel though....we are a tight knit group underground, we may not like some of each others but you learn to rely on your coworkers to save your life everyday in sticky spots and you feel the same way. Family -
    i imagined this would be the case.

Watch the industry tighten up a bit now...even though you can only eliminate just so much of the danger.
    okay, but isn't tightening up for the better of the miners and their families? i would believe there is some point of diminishing returns, but it would appear that the mining industry as a whole isn't to that point. i am obviously no expert, but aren't mining accidents and safety violations happening a little too high of a rate for this day in age?

Oh, and - this is my take - mining consists of 'development' and 'retreat' mining...you cant do one without the other...yes, the media doesnt have a friggin clue, as this bozo running that mine isnt blessed with a generous amount of 'people skills'...
    okay, but of course it would be nice to have them address this issue so that the public can gain a better understanding.

let me ask you this, Wade. from the second article i posted (and from the original tribune article):

Robert Gehrke at the Salt Lake Tribune reported over the weekend that Murray's Galatia mine in southern Illinois has racked up 2,787 violations over the past two years. MSHA has proposed more than $2.4 million in fines at Galatia, according to Gehrke's reporting.

Wade, in your opinion does this constitute a minor or significant neglect of safety?

the sl tribune reports:

Nowhere is Murray's companies' safety record more dismal than Galatia, the southern Illinois mine Murray bought in 1998, which has piled up 2,787 violations since June 2005. Of those, 660 violations were considered significant and substantial, meaning the hazard could "result in an injury or illness of a reasonably serious nature." MSHA issued 94 orders requiring safety issues to be fixed immediately.

is this off-base? this is the mining safety and health administration we're talking about here, (which one might imagine would be more easy-going under the current administration)?

Quote Originally Posted by stefan
    in your opinion does this constitute a minor or significant neglect of safety?

the sl tribune reports:

Nowhere is Murray's companies' safety record more dismal than Galatia, the southern Illinois mine Murray bought in 1998, which has piled up 2,787 violations since June 2005. Of those, 660 violations were considered significant and substantial, meaning the hazard could "result in an injury or illness of a reasonably serious nature." MSHA issued 94 orders requiring safety issues to be fixed immediately.
    I don't know, how minor could have the majority of them been? This would mean that 2127 of those violations were not at all significant. What's minor? The 660 might be what made the cost so high or was it the 94 that made the fines what they were. The more serious the violation, the more the fine. Where is this the governments responsibility? They did their job, they fined the mines when they found violations. The mine has no responsibility to protect its own investment? So, do we allow the government in, to make these types of decisions? You don't want the government getting into your life anymore than they are, so it's OK for them to be involved with others?

Let's bring this down to a level that we can understand. Those racked up amounts in fines is not easily digested by all. Say that all bad police officer pulls you over, because he has nothing better to do than to piss you off by letting you know you have a tail light out. Well, the prick gives you a fine for that violation. Should he have the right (he is a representative of the government) to seize your car for that violation? OK, you get pulled over a dozen times for that tail light out, fines all the way around. Would they then have the right to seize your car? Now, because of your tail light out (who knows, you may have replaced the light tens times by now) you are involved in a fatal car crash and it's determined that your tail light was partially to blame for this fatal car crash. Is that the po-po's fault that they allowed you to drive your car with that tail light out? I mean, should they have seized your car, if they did this fatal car crash would never have happened? Where do you draw the line?

It's easy to sit back and play Monday Morning Quarterback and point fingers at everyone who we see at fault. Mines are not up there on the safest places to work in. Accidents will happen, it's the nature of the job. We can only hope that the employer will do what they can to keep the workplace as safe a place as possible. We also hope that the people in charge of keeping the employer on the ball by doing their job by inspecting said mines and keeping the employer on their toes. Hopefully policed together these places become a safer place to work, even though the environment their in is not safe at all. Accidents do and will happen, that's the nature of the game.

I dont know about the violations, although I am sure if you wanted to get an education you could go to http://www.msha.gov/
    where you would get MUCH more info than you could digest.
    For the record, I think MSHA is on the ball as a federal organization. The violations in that particular mine are probably justified...2000+ is a HUGE amount, which will probably put someone in prison, but if you want to get a fair comparison go to the msha website and compare coal to metal/nonmetal to surface operations, etc. We are classified in the trona industry as a category 111 metal/nonmetal mine...not the same as a coal mine - not near as dangerous but we are considered a gassy mine so we monitor everything every day. There are regulations in place required to even operate the mine...everything is documented with msha...ventilation, roof bolting plans, cutting cycles...everything.
    Do yourself a favor and check out the website

From what I have seen in the industry, safety is paramount. Safety is talked about every day of the week, and is NOT taken lightly. Weekly safety meetings are held in every single department here at the mine where I work. I don't know how things are run at the Crandall Canyon Mine, but I would assume things aren't too different. That said, I will remark that 2000+ safety violations is wildly excessive. I question how many of those were repeat violations, and how many would be generally considered "severe." In my opinion, there are no "minor" safety violations. When it comes to safety, it's all top priority.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.