Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Peak?

Favorite Peak?

Just was wondering what is everyone's favorite peak to climb. I think Ibapah just hit the top of my list, even though it kicked my azs
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Timp!
    I know its the the "walmart" of peaks in the wasatch but hitting it up on a weekday is the way to go.

Whichever peak I'm standing on becomes my favorite peak.

Ben Lomond and or Lewis Peak

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

Another vote for Timp. The scenery reminds me of Glacier-my favorite hiking park. So many great peaks in Utah but Timp is my number 1 until I find something I like better.
    RP

The Pfeifferhorn is my favorite. A perfect hike up to a lake and just enough elevation to get you huffin and puffin, a fun all around nice knife edge ridge and a great summit!

I have to agree Ibapah is fun, long but definetely not as hard as it may seem. Views of Notch Peak, Swasey and Wheeler Peak are awesome.

I would agree that Timp is awesome, I did three times one year, each with a different aspect and I love the last bit to the summit where it seems that it is waaaay up in the sky! I once climbed it on Labor Day, but left Aspen Grove at 1:00 Pm and summited around 5:30 to watch beautiful evening sunlight on the west face, and a hanglider so close you could talk with him. I once climbed it on July 4th and got buzzed by a fighter jet coming straight at the summit, heck ya! Third time, did it in October and the summit was freaking cold! I spent the previous night sleeping in the Emerald Lake shelter and couldn't actually sleep because the wind made the roof sound like a freight train. And the views.

I love climbing because each different summit has its own qualities. I love the pain, the relief and the views!

Jim
    Conquistare al mundo!!!

Oh Yeah, I forgot about Notch Peak. The cliff off the summit will make you soil yourself if you are scared of heights.

I can't pick a favorite!
    Conquistare al mundo!!!

Oh Yeah, I forgot about Notch Peak. The cliff off the summit will make you soil yourself if you are scared of heights.

Check it out: [url] http://www.summitpost.org/image/271194/Notch-Peak.html

I can't pick a favorite!
    Conquistare al mundo!!!

Pfeifferhorn

Well, Notch is on my hit list now.

i dunno ... little black, pfeiff, sunset, superior, twins(broads), lone, timp they're all pretty high up in my book [thinking favorite=around salt lake].

but i'm going to have to go with olympus

either the standard route from the west, or the route up the north face. also there just something about staying overnight up there and watching the sunset over the GSL with the twins behind.

Quote Originally Posted by kris247
    Well, Notch is on my hit list now.
    nice ... that's a wonderful hike. i found mid/late-september an enjoyable time to go

Quote Originally Posted by stefan
    but i'm going to have to go with olympus

either the standard route from the west, or the route up the north face. also there just something about staying overnight up there and watching the sunset over the GSL with the twins behind.
    Route up the North Face? Is that the climbing route up the slabs? I'd love to do that route, but first I'd have to learn how to...ummm...climb first.

Quote Originally Posted by kris247
    Quote Originally Posted by stefan
    or the route up the north face.
    Route up the North Face? Is that the climbing route up the slabs? I'd love to do that route, but first I'd have to learn how to...ummm...climb first.
    well, i thought we were talking about *hiking* here. there IS a hiking route that involves scrambling near the peak, which could be tricky to some (see vernath's book for description).

I will just echo what has already been said:

Ibapah

There are several routes. The only name that comes to mind right now is "Book of Saturday", ratings range from 5.8 to 5.12? I believe. Of course alot of the route is aided and from what I have read the rock is crappy. I think only a handful of people climb the North Face a year.

On the way up the last bit you can climb right by the anchors for one of the pitches, it gives a good idea of the climb.

Definetely go climb Notch Peak, it is remote and lots of fun.
    Conquistare al mundo!!!

From a TR here: Link

I must have a twisted sense of awesomeness, because everyone always lists Timp as their favorite mountain, but I still think it's overrated. Been to the top 3 or 4 times and am never as impressed as everyone else seems to be. My favorite is Lone Peak, but people usually tell me they think that first half is too much of a biz-natch with nothing to look at. I guess I'm just wierd. The miles of granite hiking, the knife edgle ridge, the cirque, the 700 foot cliffs, Lone kicks Timps trash in my book... no contest, but that's just me.

Eric.