Thread: Coffee Maker

Coffee Maker

Perhaps this belongs in the backpacking thread, but maybe more people will see it here.

I was thinking about buying a lexan french press. Anybody tried one before?
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: Coffee Maker

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnman1830
    Perhaps this belongs in the backpacking thread, but maybe more people will see it here.

ewwww. lexan. make mine glass!

ok, for backpacking. best i've found is the sportsman's whse insulated "plastic" version. not lexan, but nice and good price.

at home : bodum chambord (ahhh, some tully's italian roast in a few min...)

hank

http://tinyurl.com/yntc7u ?

I like the French presses for car camping, but for backpacking we use just the strainer that goes over each individual mug (specifically marketed as a backpacking coffee thing). You put grounds in it, pour hot water slowly through it as it seeps into the cup. Then it's easy to dump the grounds in a zippie.

I have one, it works okay, I find it a pain to to clean it, same with the mini expresso makers, so after years of farting around with those, and gourmet bags, and doing it John Wayne style, I now use the laziest method of them all:

Instant coffee, instant milk with fat (Klim), and white sugar.

All in the same zip lock bag. KISS.

But if you're bringing the expresso maker I'll just bum them off of you.

[quote="donny h"]
    and doing it John Wayne style, I now use the laziest method of them all:

Instant coffee, instant milk with fat (Klim), and white sugar.

All in the same zip lock bag.
    How dare you blaspheme the name of John Wayne. He would have never used instant milk or a Ziplock bag. He drank it black period. He probably just chewed on the coffee grounds during the day. How do you think he got "True Grit"

sorry... that was bad, couldn't help myself. Oh ya, I know nothing about coffee or what John Wayne style is so I am probably full of crap.
    Life is Good

I think John Wayne style would mean you put grounds in a pot of boiling water then strain it with a bandanna! That's cowboy coffee!

Critical gear for long mountaineering objectives to cold, remote locations.

Yeah, I've had three of them. Old ones (green) worked great until the screen blew out, but, the gasket was better. New ones (with the plastic "fingers") work ok, but, don't keep the grounds at bay near as well. Some careful tactile manipulation of the fingers prior to brewage seems to enhance their function, though. Can be a pain if you don't want to spend the time dinkin' with them though.

The big sky bistro model works ok, but, volume is too low for me, and, brewing in the same mug is too funky for me. Ditto the MSR model (or whichever smaller rig), way too small to get my caffiene on. Also, if your grind is anywhere near fine, you'll get grounds in.

Have a stainless steel heavy duty rig for car camping. I'll have to say, I really like a French, er, Freedom Press for fresh brewed coffee. The stainless model insulates pretty well, so, stays hot awhile longer. You can get a cozy for the lexan model, but, usually gets drained in a mug and drank pretty fast anyhow.

Have used moleta filters too, but, that's more of a pain especially waiting and refilling, and more tippy too. Nice thing about a French Press (besides they're pretty optimal for coffee flavor) is they brew, aren't tippy, then you ram it home and its ready to roll. I think they're semi easy to clean, usually not bad if you have some spare hot water especially.

Another trick I've done is to just dump the grounds right in the water pot. Then filter back into a cup with whatever's handy (TP, paper towel, napkin). Or, toss in an egg shell and sink the grounds to the bottom. Cowboy coffee up.

Those faux espresso rigs are nice, too. The ones with the screw apart filter where you fill with coffee (or espresso) and set on a hot flame or plate then the liquid steams out of the little spout. With Peets Italian Roast, its rocket fuel and mighty tasty. They don't weigh a ton, but, more than a 1 liter lexan french press.

My day always starts with coffee...just picked up 4 cans at Trader Joes in L.A....whoo hooo.

-Brian in SLC

Quote Originally Posted by Shan
    I think John Wayne style would mean you put grounds in a pot of boiling water then strain it with a bandanna! That's cowboy coffee!
    That's the recipe, except straining is optional, that's what front teeth are for.

Yeehaw.