Thread: Hiking Around Albion Basin

Hiking Around Albion Basin

Went to Albion Basin on the advice of forum members. Primary purpose was to see wildflowers and secondary purpose was to show my visiting BIL some of the local scenery.

The wildflowers were pretty good, although everyone kept apologizing for the weak showing this year. I'd love to see it on a good year. We started on the trail to Cecret Lake but got delayed when we found a young bull moose grazing a meadow about 1/8 mile from the TH. A guy across the meadow, also taking pictures, started pointing in my direction so I turned around and saw a larger bull moose walking directly toward me...10 feet away. I stepped behind the handy tree and he brushed the tree as he passed.

Later, some folks on another trail seemed to be on to something, so I called out and asked what they saw. It was a very large bull moose just below our location. He was lying in the wildflowers, hidden from us by large rocks. Once we moved, we saw his rack clearly, but the rest of him was hidden by the wildflowers.

Farther along, we took a wrong turn because the real trail was puddled up and didn't look like a trail. The mountain bike trail that forked left did look like a trail, so we took it. soon we had to climb a steep hill and continued around the mountain. By the time we realized there was no lake in the area, a biker came along and explained our mistake. we backtracked and continued a short distance toward the lake. Because of time (hours late for lunch) and my bad knee (thrown out on the bike trail), we never finished the hike. Next time.
    Attached Images Attached Images          
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Awesome moose shots! You're lucky they're not in rutting season yet.

Cool Pics - did they let you drive up to the camp ground to park? A few weeks ago when we when the made us park at the bottem just past the little shack since they were working on the gravel road.

Thanks. We were able to park outside the campground, saved some walking for sure.
    Stan

Terrific shots ,Stan, especially love the Moose.

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

Quote Originally Posted by Win
    Terrific shots ,Stan, especially love the Moose.

Win
    Thanks, Win. I was getting a little nervous, the moose kept staring at me and seemed to be getting aroused.
    Stan