Thread: Church group narrowly escapes Zion flooding

Church group narrowly escapes Zion flooding

Church group narrowly escapes Zion flooding
    BY KEN PETERSON
    kpeterson@thespectrum.com

ST. GEORGE - A church group of about 30 people in the lower part of The Narrows at Zion National Park had to escape to higher ground Friday when the North Fork of the Virgin River flash-flooded from heavy rains.

Park superintendent Jock Whit-worth said the group had hiked about three miles up the canyon and was making its way back when the water came up on them. He said they climbed atop some boulders to escape the flood.

A few people got off the boulders before the water subsided. One woman lost her footing and was washed down the river for about a quarter of a mile before she was able to work her way out.

Whitworth said a visitor waded across the river to give her a towel to dry off and she waited there until park rangers came to help her back across the river.
    Whitworth said another group was still camping in The Narrows Saturday, but is not expected to come out until late in the evening. Park officials are waiting to see if they make it out safely.

Whitworth cautions people to watch weather forecasts and if rain comes and the water starts to rise, move to higher ground and stay there until the water subsides.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

OK, I'm gonna ask the question:

So, why were we all planning a slot canyon trip during the peak of flash flood season? Just wondering....
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

IMHO: The Zion canyons are in their prime during the monsoon season. Everything is filled with deep warm water.

But.... A little caution and commonsense goes a long ways this time of year. An early start is also a good idea as the storms usually build in the afternoon.

Most thunderstorms roll through around 3-5pm, if we are out of the slots by noon, there should be plenty of time to get to high ground. Unless a morning thunderstorm is in a broadcast. I say we go and play by ear.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    IMHO: The Zion canyons are in their prime during the monsoon season. Everything is filled with deep warm water.
    So does this mean I don't need a wetsuit?

All you need is a Speedo!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    All you need is a Speedo!
    That could be arranged. But seriously, will I be fine w/ no wetsuit?

Das Boot and Pine Creek and Keyhole, w/o a wetsuit? Yeah, I think it is doable. Cold, but doable. I'm taking a suit though. Word is the water in PC is NASTY right now. Unless it flushes some more this week.

Also, both the canyons we have scheduled are easy enough to get to high ground in case of floods. We should be ok in that regard.

Dan

<big sigh> <grumble>

OK. I guess I'll look at renting in Zion then.

I'm leaning more towards camping out. Where exactly are you crashing Dan?

You haven't joined "Team Stearns" yet? I can check the 50 dollars specials at Sportsman's for you, see if they have any. That's all I'm taking.

I'm bringing a 3/2 full. You will want it Sunday for sure.

Saturday depends on what permits we end up with and what canyon we decide upon.

There is a large gap between you will probably survive and having an enjoyable romp.

From a proud member of team Sterns

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    <big> <grumble>

OK. I guess I'll look at renting in Zion then.

I'm leaning more towards camping out. Where exactly are you crashing Dan?
    Assuming we get the Boot permits, Jason and I will crash at Lava Point Friday night, nice and cool. You're all welcome to join us. I'm planning on leaving vegas around 5:00 so I should be picking up Jason around 8:00 your time. Will you guys be down by then? Could save on the amount of vehicles heading up Saturday morning.

Nelson, check your email.

SLC crew will be heading out around 5ish, so about 4 hours to get there. But we are hoteling it like the proud old folks