Thread: Great Basin Nat'l Park to ban cameras on cave tours

Great Basin Nat'l Park to ban cameras on cave tours

From the Ely Times, July 25, 2007:

Great Basin National Park Superintendent Cindy Nielsen announced a ban on cameras and photography on regularly scheduled tours of Lehman Caves. This will take effect Saturday, Aug. 18, and continue through Sunday, Sept. 30. The photography policy will be re-evaluated at the end of the trial period.

This moratorium on permitting camera use on scheduled tours is intended to prevent resource damage, eliminate visitor safety concerns, and improve tour group dynamics. The growth of digital cameras and flash photography in the dark and confined environment of the cave has resulted in a number of visitor complaints. Rangers have also reported that increased photography results in resource damage as visitors leave the established trail to obtain photos, and sometimes use fragile cave formations as substitute tripods.

The park will continue its After-hours Cave Photography of Lehman Caves program during this trial period. Those wishing to apply for a Special Use Permit and schedule After-hours Cave Photography of Lehman Caves are asked to contact the Special Uses Coordinator at (775) 234-7331 extension 213, or by fax to (775) 234-7269.

Application forms may be downloaded from the park website at http://www.nps.gov/grba.

Those wishing to comment on the use of cameras on tours of Lehman Caves are invited to write to: Great Basin National Park, Attention: Superintendent, 100 Great Basin National Park, Baker, NV 89311.

Glad I went last weekend and got some pics.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

See I feel the opposite I think this is a great idea - I went this last weekend and the flashes were driving me crazy. Most folks were pretty good about taking pictures without pointing the flashes directly in people's eyes but there were three or four that didn't care who they had in the pictures and I was constantly losing what night vision I had. Would have had a much better time if either flashes were banned or if people were considerate (I used to think this was a possibility but I've worked in the parks for too many years now to believe that fairy tale!) or maybe even if the tours were smaller so you could get away from the inconsiderate people. Guess this is the solution the Park Service chose for now.