Thread: TR: Yellowstone / Grand Teton's

TR: Yellowstone / Grand Teton's

Well, as some might have known, I got back last week from a little excursion. The gf and I drove almost 18 hours straight (well, stopping to use the bathroom, gas and eat once). Yeah, I know people have done more probably, however, I had gotten up at 5am that morning, and we left San Diego at 7pm ish, and got into the Old Faithful lodge at 1pm mountain time. I did not go to bed till 10pm that night. I was delirious. 41 hours of being awake and 13 hours of me driving. Anyways, after a night's sleep I was ok.

Yellowstone was beautiful, and the geysers were neat to see, plenty of elk, bison, and other critters. It was not that crowded if you left in the morning to go around. However, old faithful near eruption time might as well have been disneyland...it was a zoo to say the least. The grand canyon of Yellowstone was very pretty. Had a bison walked less than 5 feet from our lodge door. that was freaky. I will have to say that yellowstone was pretty, however, the grand teton's were much more pretty to me. Reminds me of the sierras. We did the Jenny Lake hike to hidden falls (very pretty) then up Cascade canyon to Cascade canyon fork for a 13+ mile hike. We saw two moose (cow and her calf). It is RIDICULOUS how close people come to them. We watched them from a a ways away on the trail and when the moose walked closer, the people did not move (we did) and the moose was now less than 10 feet from this lady and her baby laying down, her husband, and some other kids, and two other guys. I said a warning to move back before this point, however, my message fell on deaf ears. We moved down the trail, then about 30 seconds later the cow moose charged the people for being near her calf, and they all went running leaving their backpacks and such behind. We just missed seeing a grizzly as well.

We were staying in jackson hole, and went white water rafting on the snake river. A 3 hour float trip with the gf's parents, and then class 3 whitewater section all on the snake river. Lots of fun. Here is some pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images                                                         
    ~Jason

Man who run behind car become exhausted...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Awesome pics. You got lucky. Weekend before last was really hazy. I could hardly see The Grand from across the valley.

We drove up there for a day trip (Friday night, Saturday, Sunday morning). We rode our road bikes around the lower loop (Madison, Old Faithful, West Thumb, Fishing Bridge, Canyon, Norris & back to Madison). It was a fun day.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Remember kids, don't try this at home. Try it at someone else's home.

Looks like you had fun, I can't believe how stupid some people are. I think they forget that these animals ARE WILD.

Great photo tour. What are the names of the arches you visited and where are they located?
    The gostak distims the doshes.

Looks like you had a fun trip. We were just there ourselves, a week at Yellowstone and 4 days at Grand Tetons. Your elk looks like the same one we saw.
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

Quote Originally Posted by davis_b_1
    Looks like you had fun, I can't believe how stupid some people are. I think they forget that these animals ARE WILD.
    The bison behind Amber (in the picture) locked eyes with me and headed straight for me. I think they don't like spandex or something . I promptly scooted behind a mini van. As I was hiding some Asian tourist was jogging after the bison. He was about 10 yards from it snapping pictures. He just gave me a "You're an idiot" look when I warned him not to get too close.

A girl I knew in high school told me the funniest story about a bison encounter. She said a huge bison was resting in a field (in Yellowstone). A tourist walked out there to take its picture. His wife asked him, "Is it dead?"

"I dunno."

"Well poke it."

So the guy hauled off and kicked it, hard.

Next thing he knew the bison was very much not dead and was chasing him down. Luckily it was happy to just chase him and didn't want to play the ever popular "toss the tourist."
    Remember kids, don't try this at home. Try it at someone else's home.

Nice pictures, thanks. I really need to get back there. This was to be the year but I've got a lot of visitors coming this Fall and can't swing it.

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

AWESOME PHOTO TOUR!!

Thanks!

A lot of those pics sure look familiar! I really need to get back up there someday soon.
    Fire By Day,
    Fire By Night;
    Everywhere I Go,
    Fire Is My Light!

Quote Originally Posted by Brewhaha
    Great photo tour. What are the names of the arches you visited and where are they located?
    Thanks. That is the same arch in both pics. It is called "Natural Bridge" and it is just a easy cheesy hike from Marina Village/Bay Bridge right near Yellowstone Lake. About 3+ miles round trip.
    ~Jason

Quote Originally Posted by moabfool
    The bison behind Amber (in the picture) locked eyes with me and headed straight for me. I think they don't like spandex or something . I promptly scooted behind a mini van. As I was hiding some Asian tourist was jogging after the bison. He was about 10 yards from it snapping pictures. He just gave me a "You're an idiot" look when I warned him not to get too close.
    I would get the same thing when I warned somebody. They would either give me a weird look, or a quick blank stare and chase after the elk/bison.

Funny story, I like to mess with people. So we are near old faithful, and I had told me gf before we got there to ask me out loud how the geyser is works and is so predictable. Well, I said, "they actually have a water pipe which runs from the ranger office, and this and the geyser is controlled by an electronic switch, which is activated by remote, or directly by a ranger." These people next to me said, "really, is that why it is so predictable?" I nodded my head, and tried to hold back my laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by moabfool
    A girl I knew in high school told me the funniest story about a bison encounter. She said a huge bison was resting in a field (in Yellowstone). A tourist walked out there to take its picture. His wife asked him, "Is it dead?"

"I dunno."

"Well poke it."

So the guy hauled off and kicked it, hard.

Next thing he knew the bison was very much not dead and was chasing him down. Luckily it was happy to just chase him and didn't want to play the ever popular "toss the tourist."
    That is some FUNNY shit! hahaha!!! I think you left out "unfortunately" it did not play toss the tourist.
    ~Jason

Quote Originally Posted by sparker1
    Looks like you had a fun trip. We were just there ourselves, a week at Yellowstone and 4 days at Grand Tetons. Your elk looks like the same one we saw.
    Yeah, I was wondering if I would run into you in the maze of 4 million other tourists! What did you do in the teton's for 4 days? Were you near the craze at jenny lake? It actually was not bad as you hiked aways up Cascade canyon, and if you started early. Not that many people at all.
    ~Jason

Quote Originally Posted by davis_b_1
    Yeah, and when you try and warn they, they either just ignore you, or look at you like you are stupid. Hell, I am done warning people, I am just interfering with the process of natural selection/cleansing of the gene pool!
    ~Jason

Quote Originally Posted by derstuka
    That is some FUNNY shit! hahaha!!! I think you left out "unfortunately" it did not play toss the tourist.
    I saw something similar about 15 years ago up there! We called it "Dumbass got the S**T stomped out of him!"

Guy was warned by many not to get to close to a HUGE Bison! He kept creepin' closer for a better shot with his little cheap 35mm.

All of the sudden, "BAM!", that Bison stomped over him in a FLASH!

We were busting a gut over his stupidity! Had to feel bad for the guy, 'cuz I know that had to break some of his S**T inside, but it served his ass right. And it really did make me laugh 'til I hurt!
    Fire By Day,
    Fire By Night;
    Everywhere I Go,
    Fire Is My Light!

I'm shaking my head over this picture.... someone needs to tell these folks moose can be mean. I've been charged before.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    I'm shaking my head over this picture.... someone needs to tell these folks moose can be mean. I've been charged before.
    Ice,

Before I took this picture I was saying to them loudly "you folks might want to please move away from the moose". However, they just ignored me, and we walked away, and then the moose charged them about 30 seconds later. Almost ran over that lady laying with her baby on the rocks. Smart people I tell ya. Too bad nobody got hit to really give them a lesson.

BTW, I picked me up two six-packs of "Polygamy Porter" from Smith's when I was in SLC. Gave one to my boss, he got a kick out of it.
    ~Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    That's a pretty moosey spot. Trail bangs right into Cascade Creek, and, its lush and the creek comes out of a pond right there.

As a climber, when you hit that spot in the trail, you take a 90 degree turn and start heading up. Guides Wall on Storm Point is straight above (to the north). Climbed a variation on it back in late June (Vieux Guide). Fun stuff. To the south is the amazing view of Mount Owen's NE Snowfields.

Almost rare to not see a moose around there. Earlier this year, was a pretty big bull hangin' out there.

Great pics!

-Brian in SLC

I'm embarrassed to say I got within 30 feet of a big ass bull moose last Friday. Fortunately, he didn't seem to interested in me, and walked away after I took a few pics. But, I was ready to drop my camera and run if I had to.

Looks like an epic trip. Thanks for sharin'