Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Best of Wildlife

Quote Originally Posted by hallkc
    This one is almost straight out of the camera... just adjusted the levels a bit. Does anyone have a 70-200 nikon f2.8 they don't want anymore...? I think I'm in love

By the way, I learned that it takes a long time to sneak up on an owl... he flew away right after this shot
    Great Short-Eared Owl photo. Your vehicle is the best blind if you are on a road. Once the door opens and you step out most wildlife will flee. The RTH is also good but try to increase the depth of field or your focusing. The post where he stands is in focus but not his eye. In wildlife photography, regardless of the species the eye is the main focal point.

The beauty of digital is taking multiple photos and not going through a $5 roll of film to get one shot. B&H has good buys and I have used them for many years, both at work n home.

Keep shootin'!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I passed this handsome guy while working in Colorado this week.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    See you on the Trail

A few from tonight out at Rock Canyon.

Full gallery here: http://www.danransom.com/TripReports/?p=146

Really outstanding photos everyone! If I could make a suggestion, some would benefit from a bit more info on each image (species - if known - , location, what you were doing...) to help raise the level of enjoyment for those viewing.

Really eye-popping jaw-dropping photos!
    Scott Mikkelsen

A couple muleys from last night, on the foothills of Provo. 40D, 600f4, 1.4x. I was about 75 yards away.

Good hell Carpey. Your all over it!

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    So here are my few

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    This little guy came so close to being stepped on by accident

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoHound
    Really outstanding photos everyone! If I could make a suggestion, some would benefit from a bit more info on each image (species - if known - , location, what you were doing...) to help raise the level of enjoyment for those viewing.

Don't forget to tell us how you sharpened the image once you got home and put it on the computer. Everyone is a pro with digital, back with film one had to have talent and skills.

Quote Originally Posted by fireuseman
    Don't forget to tell us how you sharpened the image once you got home and put it on the computer. Everyone is a pro with digital, back with film one had to have talent and skills.

The PP capabilities are the beauty of digital....but don't think for one second talent and skills are not heavy in the equation. Sounds like someone has a little "photo envy".

You know what, you have a point here, ALTHOUGH there is always composition and lighting rules(cant fix everything and noise is more pragmatic). I was just playing around with photoshop fine tuning my layering/masking skills and was just thinking how nice it was I could just fire away at will in NEF(Nikon RAW) and with Capture NX(THEE digital darkroom) and tweak them, with an input to CS2 to do whatever. I have many shots that I took one and did countless black and whites, color takes and in plenty of filters. I can only imagine the curve on film learning the how to do an unsharp mask, pushing or pulling and the like. I suppose Im guilty as charged as I take a shot knowing what Ill have to do to fix it later....

Mule Deer in the Bear River Migratory Bird Refuge:

Sweet shots Kris:)

The second one almost looks like it should be in one of those ATT commercials.... you know, where everything has the 4 raising bars... if there were only one more deer in the shot.

There are actually four deer in the second shot - but the fourth is hiding behind the deer on the right edge of the frame. (Look for it's ear).

I think we counted fourteen deer in the herd. I've never seen so many mule deer together in one place.

wonderful shots kris

there is something very captivating about this one:

Cool stuff Kris

You've been getting out a ton lately. How'd you like the Bear River refuge? I haven't been out there in a couple years, need to go back.

It's still a little early in the season for the Bear River Refuge - most of the marsh is still iced over, there were only a small sampling of birds. Mostly Tundra Swans and Canada Geese. But, the long ice vistas stretching out the lake were beautiful.

I've been reading Refuge by Terry Tempest Williams, and she has such amazing descriptions of the birds that live in the delta. I HAVE to go back to get some pictures of Ibises and Pelicans. (I didn't even know we had Pelicans in Utah!

Apparently there are two photography blinds out there. Maybe I'll look into reserving one for a day.

Tough winter for the elk/deer. These elk are right in the middle of a bunch of houses. They are now being fed by the DWR.

It's easy to forgot how close nature really is to us in the valley. I can't imagine ever looking out my front door to a herd of elk, but there they are! (Well, for someone else, at least. I don't think I'll see to many elk in Sugar House...but maybe if it's stays cold much longer).