Thread: Ropeman II - Anyone carry these?

Ropeman II - Anyone carry these?

I am looking for lightweight ascenders to carry on climbing and canyoneering adventures. My old prussic cords have finally been retired due to wear, so I am looking for a more modern solution.

I've heard a lot of negative about Tiblocs, but not a lot of comments on Ropeman II's. Anyone use these?

I would be sold on the ropeman, however they are technically not rated for 8mm ropes (8.5mm is their min.). Anyone use these on 8mm static? Safe?

Thoughts? Comments? My blue and golds are sweet, but to heavy and bulky to bring along on most adventures if I don't plan on ascending....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: Ropeman II - Anyone carry these?

Quote Originally Posted by deserthiker
    I've heard a lot of negative about Tiblocs, but not a lot of comments on Ropeman II's. Anyone use these?
    I think the II is the one with the teeth? I like the one without the teeth (has ridges instead). Have used on an 8mm rope, seems to work ok.

For times when I'm not planning on some jugging, Prusiks (actually, I carry a single Prusik cord, then a cord with a biner sized loop on each end sort of rabbit runner style, along with a double shoulder length loop of that skinny Mammut sling).

The USHBA basic is lightweight and seems to work very well. Runs up a rope super smooth (great for TRin' solo, for instance). Very lightweight if you can find the Ti one.

Cheers!

-Brian in SLC

I've heard a lot of negative about Tiblocs
    FWIW: I carry Tiblocs for emergencies and have never experienced any of the negatives you hear about. I think you just have to be aware to set the Tibloc, I also rig it in what I believe Hank calls "The German Method", which is not the way Petzel shows in their instructions. The German Method forces the Tribloc to seat so it doesn't slide and ruin the sheath.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    FWIW: I carry Tiblocs for emergencies and have never experienced any of the negatives you hear about. I think you just have to be aware to set the Tibloc, I also rig it in what I believe Hank calls "The German Method", which is not the way Petzel shows in their instructions. The German Method forces the Tribloc to seat so it doesn't slide and ruin the sheath.
    Can you describe said method?

Any thing with teeth seems to want to shred my ropes. Was using a mini traxion this weekend for a haul, and, unsticking the haul bag a couple times I could see the little pointy teeth popping the nylon fibers on my rope.

Wish someone would make a wall hauler that had the ability to release the load. I have an USHBA hauler that does, but, the thing is pretty clunky. Like a gri gri with a pulley wheel would be perfecto.

If you're just jugging a fixed rope, and, its straightforward up, then a mini traxion on your waist in combo with any ascender above (redirect with a biner or pulley) is awesome. I can jug a steep wall (not free hanging for any distance probably) without a foot stirrup with this set up...

Anyhoo...

-Brian in SLC

TJ Hooker sez (Yahoo 'CANYONS' Group post 36097:

WC Ropeman: I carried these for a while, but I found they got 'used'
    by the fine sand found in the desert, and then the spring failed to
    have enough force for them to work. The little wires tend to wear
    and have 'stingers' hanging off them.

But I believe this comment refers to the "Ropeman I", not the II.

Here's a nifty one found on a similar search:

http://www.uralalp.ru/catalog/zaj/1021.htm

My prob with the Tibloc is not rope damage - that's easily avoided with correct technique. No, just that it's a bit too fiddly for me to love. I wish there were something nearly as small and light but w/o the probs i've heard attributed to the metal alternatives.

Thinking about making up some of these:

http://tinyurl.com/2ro34a

as they are no longer available. Any interest out there?

After more research and discussion, I find myself leaning back towards either prussics, or the RBS Knot. Low tech solutions, but effective, cheap, and light.

Besides, generally whoever I am with is carrying something mechanical, but doesn't like to ascend, so is willing to loan them to me for any unplanned ascents.....

I'll have to fiddle a bit and see how well RBS works on an 8mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC
    Can you describe said method?
    Here ya go.... The red line is the rigging I use. I'd be curious to know why this is not the standard method as it makes much more sense to me. When rigging this why the Tibloc is forced into the rope when a load is applied. It really helps when climbing 8mm ropes.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    german method is also necesary for setting up haul systems.

works equally well for ascending.