Thread: Burro Wash Update

Burro Wash Update

For those who plan on doing Burro Wash in Capitol Reef, BLM has closed the wash to travel. According to the NPS ranger, the Notom road as a whole is now being managed, and travel up washes restricted. Burro was well signed it was off limits. Effective last spring.

Driving up the wash used to cut a bit of the sand slog off the hike, and make it more accessible to the casual hiker.

An alternate approach is described in the burro write-up on outdoorzen -

http://www.outdoorzen.org/site/

It is unfortunate they have chosen to close the wash. Last time I drove it several years ago, I didn't see much damage, but perhaps it has seen much more use in the last couple of years.

deserthiker

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I wouldn't drive that stretch of road again, even if I was dying of thirst, and a cooler of Gatorade was waiting for me at the end! Utterly awful stretch of road to drive.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Damn.... Now I know of at least one good reason not to supply Park officials with canyoneering route guides.

so were you down there recently then ? if so, how were water levels ?

i'm banking on good heavy rains up to my departure, then a week of mild temps w/ partly/mostly sunny skys for a week sans downpours, then whatever it wants to do i could care less. im' selfish like that.
    signature

Quote Originally Posted by goofball
    so were you down there recently then ? if so, how were water levels ?

i'm banking on good heavy rains up to my departure, then a week of mild temps w/ partly/mostly sunny skys for a week sans downpours, then whatever it wants to do i could care less. im' selfish like that.
    Everything was pretty much bone dry. BUT, we saw some wicked flooding in the Moab area just before we came home. I'm talking some of the biggest falls off the cliffs I have ever seen, and water over the bumper ON THE ROAD. Boulders washing down, the whole 9 yards.

The waterfalls were only visible by the light of lightening flashes... eerily cool... like a suspenseful scary movie... No pictures, because it was after dark, but it was amazing.

Anywhere that saw the storm will likely be tippy-top full. I would guess most things are pretty full with all these storms. Be careful of the afternoon monsoons.

Quote Originally Posted by deserthiker
    Everything was pretty much bone dry. BUT, we saw some wicked flooding in the Moab area just before we came home. I'm talking some of the biggest falls off the cliffs I have ever seen, and water over the bumper ON THE ROAD. Boulders washing down, the whole 9 yards.

The waterfalls were only visible by the light of lightening flashes... eerily cool... like a suspenseful scary movie... No pictures, because it was after dark, but it was amazing.

Anywhere that saw the storm will likely be tippy-top full. I would guess most things are pretty full with all these storms. Be careful of the afternoon monsoons.

rub it in !

i really miss watching teh bluffettes flash when it rains. and especially teh annual uber flood. something mystic about rain in the desert....
    signature

A little update on Burro Wash......

According to Scott Brown, the Chief Ranger at Capitol Reef NP, the closure of Burro Wash was done by the BLM and not the Park.

I was told the decision to close the washes to vehicle traffic was part of an EA that the BLM (Richfield) completed when they constructed the paved parking areas along side the Notom Road.

It was also mentioned by the ranger that if you park on the Notom Bench Road (first road north of Burro and open to traffic) it makes the hike out about as short as if you had driven up Burro. I have not checked this option out yet but looking at a map it appears correct.

Also thought I'd mention the rangers at CRNP have been friendly and easy to work with to date. Hope the canyoneering community can maintain this relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    It was also mentioned by the ranger that if you park on the Notom Bench Road (first road north of Burro and open to traffic) it makes the hike out about as short as if you had driven up Burro. I have not checked this option out yet but looking at a map it appears correct.
    Directions described here-

http://www.outdoorzen.org/site/beta/...burrowash.html

And yes, about 15 minutes from the car to the bottom of Burro, and 5-10 minutes more to where Burro starts getting narrow and more interesting than the open wash. Even if Burro was open to vehicles, this is now my preferred entrance, it is a very nice approach.

If doing Burro as a loop I'm thinking up Pleasent and down Burro might be the hot ticket. Two canyons for the price of one.