Thread: TR: Timpanogos

TR: Timpanogos

Decided to take a night and do some photography up in Timpanogos Basin. The light wasn't spectacular, but it's always nice to spend time up there. Had the place to myself last night, but this morning it turned into a circus, including some zoobie playing his TRUMPET on the summit this morning. WTF? I know it's pioneer day, but c'mon!

Also saw some moose sparring, and thought I might lose my life when one decided to come give me a closer look...

Full TR and pics here:

http://www.danransom.com/TripReports/?p=114

Enjoy.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nice shots. I'm hoping to head up there on Thursday. I need to get out of my office.

I'll try to avoid being chased down by a moose though.

way nice pic . love the way it flows thru the frame.
    signature

daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang!!!

As always, Dan, great shots. Love the moose, but surprised where you found them. Tell me, where is the trailhead, how long to hike to the basin, and how much climb?
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

CarpeyBiggs, you put the l33t in l33t sauce

I think instead of buying a D5 or something in that caliber, I will just rent CarpeyBiggs for a weekend

Awesome job Dan, you give us inspiration to go out and shoot, dude, thanks for sharing.

Those are awesome pics. I love the one you spelled "timp" with light.
    The man thong is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by sparker1
    As always, Dan, great shots. Love the moose, but surprised where you found them. Tell me, where is the trailhead, how long to hike to the basin, and how much climb?
    Sparker,

Lots of moose to be found on the Alpine Loop behind Timpanogos. The actual hike is steep. I think 2500 vertical in 4.5 miles to the basin. But you can drive the alpine lood (paved) then head to Cascade Springs, then take a dirt road back to Midway. Pretty good chance you'll see some big game. As for wildflowers, they are all past their prime down low. I was surprised to see such good flowers in the basin, as everywhere else I've been they have already died... YMMV.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs
    Pretty good chance you'll see some big game. As for wildflowers, they are all past their prime down low.

3 of the last 6 times I have hiked the aspen grove trail I have seen a Moose before the first waterfall.
    Its about 1 mile on a easy going gravel/paved trail to the first falls and about 1/4 of a mile to the second waterfall.

Great report, Dan, pictures are terrific. My wife loved the Moose pics and wants to know when we're going.

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com