Thread: Pics From Sunset Peak

Pics From Sunset Peak

On Sunday my Dad I did the traverse from Brighton Ski Resort to Alta, crossing from Big Cottonwood Canyon to Little Cottonwood Canyon. We started early in the morning when the temperature was a refreshing 58 degrees, made our way past Lakes Mary, Martha and Catherine, up to Sunset Peak, then down into Alta. Unfortunately, we took a wrong turn once we hit Catherine's Pass and ended up descending down a maintenance access road, but it was still a beautiful hike.

Here's a few pics:

Reflections in Lake Martha

Lake Catherine Wildflowers

Tilting Trees

Mount Superior shrouded in smoke. When will these fires ever end?

The view from Sunset Peak. Lake Mary in the distance, Lake Martha in the middle, and Lake Catherine in the foreground.

Wildflowers at the top of Alta's Supreme lift. Devils Castle is in the background.

More wildflowers at the top of Supreme

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Good pics, Kris. Love the one with the three lakes.
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

I have to agree on the lake image, great composition Krys. I also liked the angle of the fallen tree, I would have liked to see the root in the pic, maybe a bit sharper angle?

Thanks for the TR earlier in the summer. Because of your trip report I hiked from Brighton to Sunset Peak and back yesterday. Nice hike. By the way, Lake Mary is much much lower than in your pictures.
    RP

Hey RP, glad you were inspired. I hope you had a nice hike. Did you see any wildlife up there? I saw a few deer on my hike, but wasn't quick enough with the camera.

I saw 4 deer in total. Two were bucks on the switchback between Twin Lakes and Lake Mary (I went the long way). The week before when I hadn't done a good job of consulting the map and didn't find the trail beyond Lake Mary I saw a couple of pika in the same general area as the bucks. I have never read that pika are cyclic but for whatever reason I have seen very few pika this year in spite of doing quite a bit of hiking where I have seen many in past years! Good hiking to you. I am trying to decide on a Saturday hike in the Tetons for the weekend.
    RP