Thread: July 21st hike- GoodSpeed Road

July 21st hike- GoodSpeed Road

A few of us are going to be doing a hike to a very historic and one of the least accessible mines the Wasatch. Note we do not have plans to enter the mine.

We will be meeting in Little Cottonwood near Alta near the old Guards Station N40,35.418,W111,38.267. From there we are hiking up and over the saddle southwest of Flagstaff mountain and just East of peak 10277. Then down to about 9400'. From here the fun begins.
    The Goodspeed road is cut into the cliffs and we will follow it to the Reed and Benson mine. There will most likely be a bit of exposure.
    Along the way we will see some old mining shacks and the remains of what was the largest ever rail car trestle, at a whopping 800 ft tall.

We may choose to return via the old Goodspped trail which cuts through the cliffs to the Toledo Saddle. This will be an onsight decision, based on our energy levels, a visual survey of the land, and most important.. What our guts are saying about it. If anyone has any info on the old Goodspped trail I would be interested in that.

We are planning to meet at 7am in Little Cottonwood canyon near the old Guard Station. I will be in an old dark green '97 Honda Accord.
    My cell is 801-381-0839 and I will also check for replies a few times before I head to bed around 10 or 11pm.
    I'm not lost... I'm just GeoCaching

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

UPDATE: We are meeting at 6:40 am, at the West end of the Park N ride at the mouth of Little Cottonwood canyon.
    I'm not lost... I'm just GeoCaching