Thread: Vernal area?

Vernal area?

I'm planning an overnighter in the Vernal area to hike Marsh Peak and also to see Fantasy Canyon, but I'm looking to add another night to the trip if I can find something worthwhile to do there. Does anyone here have any suggestions on what to do around Vernal that could burn up the better part of a day? I'm mostly looking for a hike with scenery, but I'm really up for anything interesting that I can't get at home. I'll be in a 4x4 truck and I'll have my dog with me.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: Vernal area?

Quote Originally Posted by Udink
    I'm planning an overnighter in the Vernal area to hike Marsh Peak and also to see Fantasy Canyon, but I'm looking to add another night to the trip if I can find something worthwhile to do there. Does anyone here have any suggestions on what to do around Vernal that could burn up the better part of a day? I'm mostly looking for a hike with scenery, but I'm really up for anything interesting that I can't get at home. I'll be in a 4x4 truck and I'll have my dog with me.
    Little Brush Creek Cave, Big Brush Creek Cave, Polecreek cave or Masseys Cave are all right up your alley.

With the dog it may be hard for you to spend as much time as youd like in the Brush Creek caves, so I would suggest Masseys and PoleCreek which is in Dry Fork.
    I dint say this outloud, but your dog could probably even do most of Masseys with you. Its a neat cave. Big passages, and a few formations.

If you go to pole creek be sure and swing by the sink as well. Its pretty neat.

Just think of me getting fried in the miserable heat of the west desert while you are enjoying the nice cool temperatures.
    I'm not lost... I'm just GeoCaching

It doesn't quite meet your criteria but the hike from Jones Hole Fish Hatchery down to the Green River is nice. Almost all through Dinosaur National Park. Jones Hole Creek is a trout stream. There are some archeological sites (I suppose Fremont) along ther way. I suspect your dog would not be welcome in the National Park though. Access is suitable for a regular car. The hike is pretty scenic. Of course this time of year it will almost certainly be hot making something higher in the Uintas more inviting. A little beyond Vernal but there are several nice relatively high altitude (as in cooler) trails out of Spirit Lake on the north side of the range.
    RP

have you also looked at http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...a-ccc55b6b414e

That cache has the oldest last log that in the state that I know of. If you can find another cache that has not been logged since before it I would be itnerested.
    I'm not lost... I'm just GeoCaching