Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows Vista & NT

Windows Vista & NT

I'm trying to get my Windows Vista Home Premium PC to log onto an NT Server which are located on the same network. Vista sees the NT Server, but adds the name of the Vista workstation to the front of the logon script. The NT server does not allow the login and returns an unknown user message. Please Help!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Summit42
    I know jack about vista... trying to avoid it.
    I wish I had of, I ordered anther new computer for work today and ordered it with XP Pro. The computer store told me that lots of folks are ordering XP because Vista sucks.

I also watched a guy bench mark two identical computers, one running vista and one running XP Pro. The xp box blew the doors off vista. Thats why I order my new computer with XP.....

....anyhoo.... I'm still stuck with my new laptop running crappy vista and can't connect to my network.... it sees the network but will not connect.

Never use any MS product until after the first SP at least!

Trying entering the user name as:

<NT>\<Username>

Where <NT> is the name of the server and <Username> is a valid username on that server.

I think I found my problem. It appears that MS has made it so the home editions of Vista can not connect to a domain. You have to spend $200 to upgrade to Premium.

They can do simple networking on a home system but a real domain is a no-no.....

But you will be happy to know the premium edition is apparenty shipped on your setup disk. It just cost $200 to upgrade (unlock) it.

XP Pro was similar to this but it was $50 to upgrade....

I know there was a work around for the XP home edition... hope I can find one for Vistepieceofshit...

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    You have to spend $200 to upgrade to Premium.

I think I found my problem. It appears that MS has made it so the home editions of Vista can not connect to a domain. You have to spend $200 to upgrade to Premium.
    if true, i guess this is when you need to give one of these to mr. gates

Quote Originally Posted by scoutabout
    Never use any MS product until after the first SP at least!
    No joke, I waited until xp was on SP2 before I installed it on my home machines. Window 2k all the way!

I know there was a work around for the XP home edition... hope I can find one for Vistepieceofshit....
    So why not format it and go with Xp or 2k? Or did dell say it would void the warranty?

Sorry Shane, I have no idea about Vista. The driver support is just not there for me to even bother with it. Plus, like the above mentioned, don't install MS products until at least SP1.

Go back to XP

Quote Originally Posted by stefan
    if true, i guess this is when you need to give one of these to mr. gates
    So, how do you think Mr Gates acquired his $82 billion? He obviously doesn't care what we think as long as we buy.
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

I have Vista on my laptop and plan to slug it out. I mange a network and I need to learn this crap sooner or later.

As I said, the two new computers I just odered have XP Pro installed.

FWIW: Your Vista license also gives you the rights to downgrade. So I could do XP, but as I said, i need to learn this crap anyways....

With Vista always purchase an upgrade rather than the full version. There is a way around having to have an upgradable OS installed prior to installing Vista. It requires installing it twice, but is much better than paying full price. So, it should only cost $99 to upgrade to the business edition.
    I wish my lawn was EMO so it would cut itself.

Vista SP1 Beta Around The Corner?

Earlier this week there were rumors that SP1 would be available imminently, but during their quarterly earnings conference call with analysts, Redmond said that there will be an SP1 "this year", trying to quell that rumor. What will probably happen is that a few hundred selected organizations will get their hands on an early version, and that a large beta will follow in a few months. Microsoft is under pressure to release SP1 from two sides. First, many system admins do not touch Vista until they see SP1, so there is a strong economic incentive for Redmond to get it out. Second, they agreed with the DoJ that SP1 will include changes to Vista's search tools, prompted by complaints from Google.

From
    Live Life, Don't Watch Life!

From
    WServer News

If Interested the site to subscribe to their newsletter is below

http://www.wservernews.com/subscribe.cfm
    Live Life, Don't Watch Life!

Vista has a hard time networking with any other OS, even XP. I know everybody says that Vista sucks, but what most people fail to realize is that no amount of beta testing will ever catch the issues that will come up when the software comes out on the market initially. The first service pack is due out at the end of the year, which is like the close of the first SERIOUS beta test. If you folks remember, everybody had the same issues w/ XP when it first came out. Nobody liked XP because of all the bugs and such. Vista is just in that same spot. Come SP1, I'll be getting my hands on an OEM version.

Also, something else to keep in mind that Vista is a whole new beast that they started working on when XP first came out. From my own standpoint, I see it as the best, most secure GUI OS the market has seen and I'm thoroughly impressed with its potential. Right now, many companies haven't developed drivers or software patches to compensate for the major differences in Vista. Come January, though, I think things will be quite different.

By the way, since the architecture of Vista is so vastly different from NT, I don't know if they will be compatible anytime soon. Networking is not my specialty though so I'll ask my network guru here at work and see what he has to add.

Two words. Dual-Boot!

I installed Vista when I built a new computer, at the same time I ordered my wife a new notebook. Hers came with Vista and I was intrigued. It was a retail copy so I installed it. Vista is not all that bad for your average home computing needs, but I discovered that it did not play well with CounterStrike and Ghost Recon. So I did a dual boot. It works out well...but that's for me. Something to consider however, depending on what your needs are.

Here is what I've discovered to date. Vista will network with older windows server domains.... but.... you must have the Premium edition or the Business edition... and you must relax the security... to do that...

"Run as administrator" secpol.msc

Under Local Policies > Security Options

Change the value of "Network Security: LAN Manager authentication level" from "NTVLM2 responses only" to "LM and NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated"

There might be other options, this is just what I have uncoverd to date.

Quote Originally Posted by KillEmAll
    With Vista always purchase an upgrade rather than the full version. There is a way around having to have an upgradable OS installed prior to installing Vista. It requires installing it twice, but is much better than paying full price. So, it should only cost $99 to upgrade to the business edition.
    If you install the upgrade cd after a format... it will just ask for previous version during the install.
    Ouch my freaking ears....

Don't understand my avatar? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQzIg0CPW5Q

Quote Originally Posted by ericchile
    Quote Originally Posted by KillEmAll
    If you install the upgrade cd after a format... it will just ask for previous version during the install.
    Microsoft walked me through doing an upgrade without an OS on it. I initially was going from XP but the upgrade documentation said that if I wanted to clean my drive to go through the formatting/partitioning step and I blindly did 'cuz it said to. Well, when it said I didn't have a OS to upgrade from I got pissed and called Vista install support to tell them how f^%ing stupid they were to put that in the instructions. Instead, the tech showed me how to bypass having the OS on it. All we did was install the full version (which comes on the DVD as well) and then reinstall the upgrade over top of that. It worked like a charm. I started out with a formatted drive and never had to install XP on it.
    I wish my lawn was EMO so it would cut itself.