Thread: All Fireworks Now Banned in Utah

All Fireworks Now Banned in Utah

Governor Asks for Statewide Ban on Personal Fireworks
    July 17th, 2007 @ 4:06pm
    (KSL News) Governor Huntsman is asking local government officials to ban personal fireworks in their jurisdictions.

The emergency declaration comes as the state has experienced massive wildfires.

Governor Huntsman says communities and the state must work together to protect life and property in the drought conditions this year that have created such a volatile wildfire danger.

The declaration, however, does not ask for a ban on commercial fireworks shows. The governor also has extended fire restrictions implemented by the state forester.

BOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! Who voted that buzzkill into office?!
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Ya! I can finally sleep at night without gunshots at midnight!!!

You too eh... I keep finding bottle rockets my back yard.
    The whitetra.... I mean, um.... the people across the street have been lighting of bottle rockets and all sorts of illegal fireworks every day for the past few weeks and its getting old.

Have you ever seen a raging fire start on somebody's front lawn in a neighborhood, and rip through the culdesac, bringing terror to everybody there? Me neither.

Mountains and dry fields are a different story, but neighborhoods? How many driveways are flammable?

It's the ones that get away

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    Have you ever seen a raging fire start on somebody's front lawn in a neighborhood, and rip through the culdesac, bringing terror to everybody there? Me neither.

Mountains and dry fields are a different story, but neighborhoods? How many driveways are flammable?

AMEN, BROTHER, AMEN!!!!

Good luck trying to enforce it though ~ I'll be lighting off fireworks regardless of their sanitized bureaucratic BS laws.

I started a fire in my garbage can by accident due to hot fireworks and a couple ragers in my back yard due to a rouge Chiminea...

I was at the Salt Lake City Council meeting last night, and they discussed the issue with a representative from the SLCFD, and he said they had no intentions of banning fireworks. But, as with everything in government, what they say doesn't always equate to with what they do.

Reading the article in the paper today, it is my understanding that the Gov is recommending a ban, and that it is up to individual communities to decide. Holladay and Draper have banned them, Taylorsville has not, for example. I do feel that communities that butt up against the foothills should ban fireworks. Personally, I appreciate the governor for taking a stand, this is not intended to be permanent, but this is an exceptional year. I dont understand why everyone would not be on board with this, instead of putting themselves above the greater good. It's DRY out there, man!
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

Quote Originally Posted by TreeHugger
    Reading the article in the paper today, it is my understanding that the Gov is recommending a ban, and that it is up to individual communities to decide. Holladay and Draper have banned them, Taylorsville has not, for example. I do feel that communities that butt up against the foothills should ban fireworks. Personally, I appreciate the governor for taking a stand, this is not intended to be permanent, but this is an exceptional year. I dont understand why everyone would not be on board with this, instead of putting themselves above the greater good. It's DRY out there, man!
    Instead of banning fireworks, lets ban people without common sense. fireworks in driveway or street of neighborhood = ok, fireworks near dry mountain grass = bad.
    The man thong is wrong.

I'd be interested in seeing some numbers on what causes the most fires...
    prescribed burns...fireworks...campfires...etc

Quote Originally Posted by jumar
    I'd be interested in seeing some numbers on what causes the most fires...
    prescribed burns...fireworks...campfires...etc
    http://www.utahfireinfo.gov/ytd+medi...yeartodate.htm

It only filters down into "Human", "Lightning" "RX" (which I assume to be prescribed burns) and "WFU" (I don't know what that means).

According to their data there have been 343 human caused fires this year, burning 44,309 acres across Utah. Compared to 104 lightning caused fires burning 283,434 acres.

I was talking with some friends the other night about the possible ban of fireworks. They were telling me about a time when they were at a firework show up in Bountiful and how one of the mortars landed in a grassy patch just adjacent to the show... it caught the grass on fire. They were laughing because no one was watching the fireworks... everyone was mesmerized with the fire in the grass. Good Job!
    "I know you better than anybody, Tony, even your friends. Which is probably why you hate me."

Quote Originally Posted by kris247
    According to their data there have been 343 human caused fires this year, burning 44,309 acres across Utah. Compared to 104 lightning caused fires burning 283,434 acres.

Why not ban lightning instead? Apparently humans aren't a huge problem

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    Why not ban lightning instead? Apparently humans aren't a huge problem
    It seems the Forest Service could install a few more lightning rods in hard hit areas.

But, it's less work to just ban fireworks.

It seems the Forest Service could install a few more lightning rods in hard hit areas.

But, it's less work to just ban fireworks.
    because lighting cause forest fires were caused by global warming?

Maybe they should protect structures and human lives and let the natural fires burn. Just like mother nature has been doing for millions of years. We prevent and stop fires year after year while the fuel just keeps building....

Quote Originally Posted by Summit42
    We prevent and stop fires year after year while the fuel just keeps building....

Ding Ding!!!! Exactly!! Hopefully the recent fires have reduced the fire inventory somewhat.

Are they going to ban smoking to? I don't know how many times I am following a person on the Hwy and they toss there butts out the window, I have never heard of anyone getting stopped for doing that; however look on the shoulder of the roads and they are littered with cigarettes, which were more than likely still burning when tossed out the window.

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.