Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Knotted Rope Death

Re: Canyon Rescue?

Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe

Hmmmm?! Lot seems to depend on the "gear" available?
    Usually folks descending Knotted Rope are carrying a minimum of gear. A short rope (60'), harness, belay device, a little webbing and a couple of biners are pretty much standard. I usually toss in a couple of hooks just for a situation like this.

Knotted Rope is not a canyon that requires much gear in normal conditions. Highly skilled canyoneers can even do the canyon without gear.....
    And folks have always wondered what I carry in my BIG pack! Well...I guess that with just a couple biners and webbing it'll be a bit more strain hauling on a simple 3:1
    Oops! I guess that with a couple biners you could get a 6:1 compound constructed..that'd make it a bit easier?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

And folks have always wondered what I carry in my BIG pack!
    When I go with you I always tell my wife I'm going with my private portable rescue unit.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Not sure here--but what if she had no harness and was using the rope as a safety only

seems the lack of a harness would compound this situation

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7
    Not sure here--but what if she had no harness and was using the rope as a safety only

seems the lack of a harness would compound this situation
    Not comfortable, but a "Horseshoe Sling" fashioned on a Bowline on a Coil. Have her slide into it and hoist away!

Rock i found this one in the post of Ice from last year knotted rope

Iceaxe wrote:
    FYI: Some of the pipes have been removed from Knotted Rope. The canyon is much better without the pipes. Solving the first big keeper is interesting

There are easy ways to solve the problem that are not obvious and hard ways that are obvious....

I used to be a fan of keeping the pipes, but after doing the canyon and not using them I now think they should be removed if possible. The canyon is more fun and a little more challenging without the pipes. Only real danger is the first big keeper, and if you can't figure it out you can always turn around, hike back out, and come back anther day after improving your skills.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    Who cleaned up the pipes? maybe she'd still be alive today if the pipes were still there.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    And folks have always wondered what I carry in my BIG pack!
    When I go with you I always tell my wife I'm going with my private portable rescue unit.
    I tell my wife I want to be a race car driver when I grow up. She thinks I'm nuts! I don't tell her I go with you!

Quote Originally Posted by hesse15
    Rock i found this one in the post of Ice from last year knotted rope
    Ah...thanks.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Not knowing the circumstances of the accident, it's tough to say what would be possible to ensure a rescue, but - Yeah, here are some options:

1 Every big wall climber knows how to rig a system for haul bags, either a 1:1 system, a 2:1 or even 3:1 mechanical advantage system to lift heavy loads - doesn't require much besides 2 simple ascenders and a pulley for a 2:1 system

2If you don't want to carry a drill, carry a 12V portable rechargeable screwdriver with a drill bit attachment - lightweight and reliable for anchors (if neccessary) - it's always amazed me that in a sport like climbing where most accidents and fatalities occur on rappel, that some people are squeamish about placing reliable anchors - I admire the environmental ethos, but if you have to place an anchor, place one! That enables the aforementioned option 1

3Always carry extra ropes, not a 50M 10.5 mil, but even a short section of 5-6 mm cord easily holds body weight. Even a poly rope will do for reversing moves or backing out of a difficult descent or in this case effecting a rescue.

4If you can't afford or don't want to carry ascenders, at least have Prusik slings

5Per first aid: secure the victime from further injury - I hate second guessing and only mean well, here. But in an accident such as this, her partner should've at least tried to get her out of the water to avoid hypothermia first, and then tried to effect a rescue.

Maybe these suggestions will help avoid more tragedies. Canyoneering's a great sport, but you have to be prepared for whatever could go wrong as well as for a good time.