Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cedar Breaks - Ramparts Trail

I think that tree is dead. I can't remember if it's at Spectra or Rampart in Cedar Breaks.

Ha, my wife hates the hike out to Rampart so the forest it will be!

By the way, Duck Creek Days on Fri and Sat. I'm thinking I'll need to go for some chili! Of course, hiking first.

A little critter from last year, we did not feed him/her:

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Bogley BigShot
    Duck Creek Days!!!! I should try and take the kids if I can get away from work.

Fantastic photo! Love it!

Bogley BigShot
    From Win's List.... on my hit list. (and sort of posting them here so I can find them again.)

1. NAME: Singing Pine, #3202

LENGTH: 0.5 Miles

DIFFICULTY: Easy

HIKING TIME: 30 Minutes

TRAILHEAD LOCATION:

Trail located 1/4 mile east of Duck Creek administrative site. Duck Creek administrative site located 32 miles east of Cedar City on Highway U-14.

DESCRIPTION:

Short interpretive trail with markers. Handout interpretive script available at registration box at Duck Creek Visitor Center

PERTINENT USGS MAP(S):

---------------------------

2. NAME: Old Ranger, #3203

LENGTH: 0.5 Miles

DIFFICULTY: Easy

HIKING TIME: 30 Minutes

TRAILHEAD LOCATION:

Amphitheater parking lot in the Duck Creek Campground, located 32 miles east of Cedar City on Highway U-14.

DESCRIPTION:

Short interpretive trail with markers and benches. Handout interpretive script available at registration box, or at Duck Creek Visitor Center. Trail primarily through aspen with scattered Douglas fir and ponderosa pine.

----------------------------

3. NAME: Twisted Forest, #3208

LENGTH: 1/2 Miles

DIFFICULTY: Easy to moderate

HIKING TIME: 10 minutes

TRAILHEAD LOCATION:

From Cedar City travel north on 1- 15 to Parowan; then take U- 143 to Brian Head. Just past Brian Head (approximately 35 miles NE of Cedar) take Forest Service Road #204 (Sugar Loaf Road) about 2 miles until it connects with #265, go left about 1/2 mile then follow signs and road #964 to trailhead.

DESCRIPTION:

A short trail which provides access to nature's oldest living thing, the Bristlecone Pine. Although these rugged trees have existed hundreds of years, it is only recently that their great age and natural beauty have awakened a new interest in scientist and nature-lovers alike. Sculptured by time and weather into dramatic shapes, it is located in the Twisted Forest for all to enjoy.

-----------------------------

3. Done this but not with this name or this direction

NAME - Long Hollow, #3207

LENGTH: 2.0 Miles

DIFFICULTY: Moderate

HIKING TIME: 2 hours

TRAILHEAD LOCATION:

Trailhead is located by traveling east from Cedar City on U-14 approximately 12 miles to what is commonly called the S-turn. Proceed beyond the S-turn about one half mile to Forest Road # 10 15. Travel north on # 10 15 one mile to trailhead sign for Potato Hollow. Continue on the Potato Hollow trail some 200 feet to where trail forks. Long Hollow is the left fork. -

DESCRIPTION:

The trail is heavily used by sheep during the summer months. It generally follows the Long Hollow drainage and the boundary of the Ashdown Gorge Wilderness Area. Vegetation along the trail consists of conifer stands interspersed with aspen stands and small meadows. The trail gradually descends from 8,900 feet above sea level at the top of the trail to approximately 7,700 feet above sea level at the bottom. Wildlife in the area consists of mule deer, elk, bear, turkey, Blue grouse, and small birds and animals. A small stream runs parallel to the trail most of the way. At the bottom of trail is access to Ashdown Gorge and Flanigan Arch.

------------------------------

4. Maybe this one? Or is this more of a bikers trail?

NAME: Blowhard, #3047

LENGTH: 2.0 Miles

HIKING TIME: 2 Hours

TRAILHEAD LOCATION:

From Cedar City travel east U- 14 to junction of State Road # 148, (Cedar Breaks Road). Follow #148 north 1.5 miles to FR #277, (Blowhard Station Road). Follow the road to powerline radar stations. Follow powerline west to trailhead. Trailhead is at 10,620 feet.

DESCRIPTION:

The trail follows powerline west, to a rim overlooking a beautiful view of Cedar Canyon The trail follows powerline and ridge spine through a mixed conifer stand, then drops sharply eventually entering a stand of Bristlecone Pine and a red ridge looking into Cedar Breaks and Ashdown Wilderness Area. View includes a spectacular look at red rock of the Wasatch Formation. The Bristlecone Forest offers a unique sight of grotesque shapes formed by these ancient trees. The trail continues downhill and under powerline on Ashdown Gorge Wilderness Boundary to rim of Ashdown Gorge. Trail follows close to the rim edge and offers many beautiful sites. Trail continues downhill through mature stands of spruce, fir, ponderosa and eventually into aspen before it ends at the junction of Potato Hollow, Trail #050, in Long Hollow.

------------------------------

5. Think we have done this one to Cedar Breaks Bottoms?

NAME: Potato Hollow, #3050

LENGTH: 2.5 Miles

HIKING TIME: 1-2 Hours to junction with Rattlesnake Trail #050

TRAILHEAD LOCATION:

From Cedar City, travel east on U-14 beyond Cedar Canyon Campground past the "S" turn to FR #301, Crystal Spring Road. Follow #301 north to where it-ends. Trailhead is at 8,920 feet.

DESCRIPTION:

This trail drops from a meadow edge through a small conifer filled drainage. It then works up as aspen sidehill to a ridge where it turns west working its way downhill through a north facing mixed conifer and aspen slope. It continues downhill until it inter-sects with Blowhard Trail #047, in Long Hollow. The trail goes downhill along the grassy bottom of Long Hollow before climbing through a fairly open scrub oak sidehill. The trail crosses a netwire fence then tops out a hill. From the hilltop, the trail starts a steady descent with some steep stretches through fir, aspen, and open side hills. Some scenic views of Ashdown Gorge and High Mountain can be seen along this stretch. The trail goes through private property and eventually ends on dirt road in Ashdown and meets Rattlesnake Trail #051.

------------------------
    6. Not sure what this one is? Maybe part of the Virgin River Rim Trail?

NAME: Navajo, #3.054

LENGTH: 1 .0 Miles

DIFFICULTY: Moderate to more difficult. Trail gains 700 feet in elevation

HIKING TIME: 30 - 45 minutes one way

TRAILREAD LOCATION:

From Cedar City travel east 26 miles and turn right on the Navajo Lake Road (053). Follow road #053 approximately 3-1/4 miles to the Navajo Lake Campground. Go into south side parking lot which is located by the restrooms. Trail leaves east end of parking area.

DESCRIPTION:

Trail is fairly steep and follows a small drainage part way up and the switch back up on to the top of the ridge. The end of the trail overlooks the north fork of the Virgin River with a view of Zion National Park. The trail is primarily through an old growth Engelmann spruce and Douglas fir stand. Trail is useable usually from June I thru October 30 depending upon snow.

Great list Win! Most are too far toward Panguitch or Parowan --- areas I don't want to cover, but some hit the spot!

Whole list
    http://www.alongtheway.org/hike/list.html

Bogley BigShot
    Thanks

Sometimes it shocked me that you looked at something that is not a moving picture.

Terrific write up and pictures! Thanks

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Bogley BigShot
    Win... Have you done those trails I listed from the url you posted?

Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    We have done most of the trails you have listed Tanya, or at least sections therof. Haven't done the Long Hollow, or Duck Creek though. The #6 is part of Virgin River Rim Trail

http://www.zionnational-park.com/virgin-river-rim.htm

Potato Hollow;

http://www.zionnational-park.com/ced...ks-bottoms.htm

Bo

The only one I've done from that list is the Twisted Forest. It's really easy and I loved it. The views are really great. I want to do this late Sept/ early Oct when the Aspens are turning.

I'm going to do a loop going from Crystal Spring to Potato Hollow to Blowhard. I think it might be 5 miles.

Now i have to go check Bo's links.

Win

Nice report, Tanya, and great photos (as always).
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck
    Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    We have done most of the trails you have listed Tanya, or at least sections therof. Haven't done the Long Hollow, or Duck Creek though. The #6 is part of Virgin River Rim Trail

http://www.zionnational-park.com/virgin-river-rim.htm

Potato Hollow;

http://www.zionnational-park.com/ced...ks-bottoms.htm

Bo

I really enjoyed the Cedar Breaks Bottoms trail... getting to the bottom of those Cedar Breaks hoodoos was something I always wanted to do!

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Win
    The only one I've done from that list is the Twisted Forest. It's really easy and I loved it. The views are really great. I want to do this late Sept/ early Oct when the Aspens are turning.

I'm going to do a loop going from Crystal Spring to Potato Hollow to Blowhard. I think it might be 5 miles.

Now i have to go check Bo's links.

Win
    I remember seeing the sign for Blowhard... we did Crystal Spring to Potato Hollow... but took an alternate path. Let us know how you like it!

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by sparker1
    Nice report, Tanya, and great photos (as always).

Thanks Stan!