Thread: upper chute canyon q's

upper chute canyon q's

for those who have done this - where did you put in, did you thru hike or loop, and how long did it take you ?
    signature

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Goofball,

I've been in there several times. The last time I went from the road near Tan Seep down to fault canyon, exited out the east to the main road, then mtn biked back to the car in about 4-5 hours I think. Another time I went in from the east across from the fault exit, and out the bottom to a waiting car shuttle in around 6 or 7 hours.

Other times I have entered via Baptist.

If you want what I consider the "Best" loop to see it all, I'd recommend going in Baptist, leave your packs and go up Chute to where it opens (Kelsey's short loop exit), then head back down Chute. Getting out at the Fault canyon would work, or continue down for a little bit more goods, then exit on the right when possible and cross country back to the car. It would require some navigation skills for the cross country, but would be do-able in a day without a car shuttle. If you have a car shuttle do the same thing, but go all the way down to where the road crosses Chute. Long car shuttle, fun canyon.

Much above Baptist it opens and is not very interesting.

Pretty dry, so could be hot in August. If you go, let me know how it goes. I'm busy in August, or would try and join you.

deserthiker

hey ryan,

thanks for info. we did teh baptist/upper chute loop last year and were thoroughly unimpreseed over all. seemed like a lot of buck for the bang. chute was way pretty though and we vowed to go back for it alone, full meal deal.

from tan seep what was that like ? seems like a long hike in the upper part where it si relatively uninteresting (?).
    signature

If you were unimpressed by the Baptist/Upper Chute loop, you will likely be deeply unimpressed with the full meal Chute. I did it because I am obsessive compulsive..... Took me 3 or 4 trips to see the entire canyon... $#%! OCD.... I ran out of partners after a couple of trips, so did the last sections I had not seen solo.

The really good section is pretty short, with a lot of walking before and after. You saw what most would likely consider the "best" section of Chute.

Cable, the Squeeze, or the Black Boxes would all be ones I would recommend before full Chute.

Good luck! August might be a better time to be in Zion if this heat continues!

deserthiker

Quote Originally Posted by goofball
    hey ryan,

thanks for info. we did teh baptist/upper chute loop last year and were thoroughly unimpreseed over all. seemed like a lot of buck for the bang. chute was way pretty though and we vowed to go back for it alone, full meal deal.

from tan seep what was that like ? seems like a long hike in the upper part where it si relatively uninteresting (?).

we did teh baptist/upper chute loop last year and were thoroughly unimpreseed over all. seemed like a lot of buck for the bang.
    When you hit Chute did you go up or down?

I really liked the down Baptist, down Chute and out the Fault Line Canyons route. But then again.... I like hiking around in the Swell.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    we did teh baptist/upper chute loop last year and were thoroughly unimpreseed over all. seemed like a lot of buck for the bang.
    When you hit Chute did you go up or down?

I really liked the down Baptist, down Chute and out the Fault Line Canyons route. But then again.... I like hiking around in the Swell.

yeah, we did the down baptist/down chute/up fl. the canyons were way scenic, we just felt bummed about the amount of goodies and time to complete. also, it got overcast and began to thunder after a clear & cloudless start to teh day so we boogied on out.

Quote Originally Posted by deserthiker
    If you were unimpressed by the Baptist/Upper Chute loop, you will likely be deeply unimpressed with the full meal Chute. I did it because I am obsessive compulsive..... Took me 3 or 4 trips to see the entire canyon... $#%! OCD.... I ran out of partners after a couple of trips, so did the last sections I had not seen solo.
    oh yeah... ocd. haven't you have met me enough times to know i am all OVER ocd ? except my version has a limited attention span as well, then it fixates on a different target, same ball park.

Quote Originally Posted by deserthiker
    Good luck! August might be a better time to be in Zion if this heat continues!
    oh *wah* you heat sissies i swear...

and yeah, cable, high on the list that the ocd continually rearranges. missedd it last year, in JULY, when it was HOT. segers was brim full though. niiiiiice !
    signature