Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking to convert to a Mac

Looking to convert to a Mac

I've used PC's for about 20 years and recently been looking at going the MAC route. I've started doing alot more photo editing and, soon, video editing. I play minimal games, most Civ, Chess, Go, AOE, etc. What advice can you offer? What should I be looking at? I think I want a desktop rather than a notebook.
    The gostak distims the doshes.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

if you want a desktop over a notebook, i'd wait till august/september and get expected update to the iMac. you'll have a choice of 20 or 24 inch display. as usual, the computer and display are one in the same, and it's expected to come in brushed aluminum and be sleaker than before. i have one at work, very happy with it. in many ways towers (mac pro) are better, but they're gonna cost ya.

20 years ago, Macs were much better than PC's for design, graphics, photo editing, etc. That's not true anymore. I know a lot of artists who've switched to PC's because they are cheaper.

If you want a Mac, then get one. If you just want something to use that will work and can be supported by a kid on every street corner, stick to a PC.

Quote Originally Posted by scoutabout
    20 years ago, Macs were much better than PC's for design, graphics, photo editing, etc. That's not true anymore. I know a lot of artists who've switched to PC's because they are cheaper.

If you want a Mac, then get one. If you just want something to use that will work and can be supported by a kid on every street corner, stick to a PC.
    Really depends on what you want to do. I am actually looking at switching to a Mac Pro Power book - 1 main reason - Final Cut Pro - but still a lot of good video sw on pc. I will run XP or Vista on the Mac for Outlook and Corp VPN stuff. I have CS3 for window and will run it under the windows OS. Remember the $ cost of playing on the Mac side is much Higher. If it wasn't for the video I would stay with PC and probably a Dell Latitude or Precision laptop since they have North American Support. If you do go MAC and are not going to run boot camp, make sure everything you need to do is compatible.
    Live Life, Don't Watch Life!

I have a 2005-era 20-inch flat-panel iMac at home that I use every day, and I think it's the best computer I have ever used. I have a G5 and a 20-inch flat-panel monitor at work, but for its cost, we could have had three iMacs that were just as capable.

I have never regretted being Mac. Good machines.

-R

once you go mac you never go back.

Quote Originally Posted by marc olivares
    Once you see your bill for a out of warranty repair you will go back to a PC.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit42
    LOL, that's funny, i have an Emac that's older than my kids, and i've been running Mac's since the 90's, haven't had an issue thus far...

oh and summit, Jesse wants her hat back

LOL, that's funny, i have an Emac that's older than my kids, and i've been running Mac's since the 90's, haven't had an issue thus far...
    I am not saying the things don't run like champs because they do.. But they do break down (just like every other electronic device out there). But IF you have a problem macs are a HUGE pain in the ass to repair compared to a PC.

oh and summit, Jesse wants her hat back

depends on the type of repair and how much you're willin to do on your own

ifixit.com baby ...

but hey, summit, i actually enjoy your apple bashing, it's amusing

I have been looking for a new machine.... I don't game much anymore so I may consider a Mac. Any suggestions stefan?

I will admit... i don't like apple much. There was an apple rep in my life for a few years and that pushed me over the edge. I love to tinker, upgrade and Game on my machines so i guess i don't fit into Iworld. sorry.....

I have been looking for a new machine.... I don't game much anymore so I may consider a Mac. Any suggestions stefan?
    yeah sure! why do you get one of these ... 'sgot evrthang you need ... only $2000

I will admit... i don't like apple much. There was an apple rep in my life for a few years and that pushed me over the edge. I love to tinker, upgrade and Game on my machines so i guess i don't fit into Iworld. sorry.....
    i could really care less ... but i was serious, i do find it amusing, as in quite entertaining. [no sarcasm intended]

whoa..wtf is that?

Crazy little thing ..
    "Vista Business" that scares the crap out or me, that thing just meets the Vista system requirements

Vista is reason enough to go Mac, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Barron
    Vista is reason enough to go Mac, IMHO.
    HA! Vista is mac, already. Where do you think Bill and Co. got the idea?

Actually, I use Vista, very happy with it. No issues yet, been about 4 months. I do alot of video editing and photo editing, no issues. But I must confess, I am not a big Mac fan. There is something about being able to build your own computer I find fun....

I run both. . .seamlessly. Although I have to admit I only have winders for testing.

Better a sister in the whore house then a brother on a MAC!

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    I run both. . .seamlessly. Although I have to admit I only have winders for testing.

Accadacca - Question - are you running XP under just Parallels or do you also have it running under Boot Camp. I was told I could load XP or Vista under bootcamp and Parallels would also hook into the same Windows OS if I didn't want to reboot? Still haven't made the jump back to a Mac but am probably within a week or so. Just trying to get some final questions I have answered. Also does any body out there have any experience with Personal Network share servers like the Seagate Mirra Sync. I am looking for a network shareable solution that I can store huge amounts of Video data on and access it from a PC or Mac. Any feed back on personal experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanxs in advance.
    Live Life, Don't Watch Life!

I have a MacBook Pro and I am running XP within OSX. As I understand it, with boot camp you can only boot with one or the other. However, with parallels you can run both at the same time. They are alive and function together. Really cool! Go to www.parallels.com and watch a demo or search it on YouTube.

I run parallels and it works seamlessly with XPsp2 and Vista. I use to run Virtual PC before Microsoft bought it and F Ked it up... I use a parallels virtualized machine to run virtualized routing and switching gear. One day we're all going be part of the same process