Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rowdy OHV crowd alleged

Quote Originally Posted by scoutabout
    Hikers who cut switchbacks, leave tp-bombs, toss trash, and have backcountry fires during restrictions are a public nuisance. Let's remove all human access from public land. Until you want to do that, you're just discriminating.
    Why is this always the rebuttal? It's the ultimate non-solution, and redirection of blame, and really just skirting the whole issue. It's like there is no better defense to be had, so let's blame hikers too!

While we're at it... People kill people with guns. We should remove all guns from the public too. Deal? Hate to be discriminatory.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by stefan
    New group seeks tougher off-road penalties
    By Lourdes Medrano
    Arizona Daily Star
    Same story...different newspaper.

It's amazing the milage one anti-OHV press release gets you with the news media these days.

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs
    Hikers who cut switchbacks, leave tp-bombs, toss trash, and have backcountry fires during restrictions are a public nuisance. Let's remove all human access from public land. Until you want to do that, you're just discriminating.
    Why is this always the rebuttal? It's the ultimate non-solution, and redirection of blame, and really just skirting the whole issue. It's like there is no better defense to be had, so let's blame hikers too!

While we're at it... People kill people with guns. We should remove all guns from the public too. Deal? Hate to be discriminatory.
    It's no excuse or solution, I'm pointing out how ridiculous the argument is. It is obviously ridiculous to you that we would close all hiking trails because of a few bad apples. It is equally ridiculous that we would close all motorized recreation trails because of a few bad apples.

I've never said that irresponsible OHV behavior is ok or that it doesn't exist. I've never said that no one cares about the problem. What I've said is that closing everything isn't a solution. Just as closing every freeway because of a minority of drivers who are DUI is not a solution.

Keep up.

The motorized recreation community is concerned about the few bad apples among us who give us all a bad name. The motorized recreation community is working on education, enforcement and maintenance projects to minimize the affects.

I've never said that irresponsible OHV behavior is ok or that it doesn't exist. I've never said that no one cares about the problem. What I've said is that closing everything isn't a solution.
    Since I've been here, your tune has been exactly that.

As far as fines, they have limits. Between a ticket and say a misdemeanor. Make the crimes a higher misdemeanor crime. If they already fit in that bracket, the next step would be increasing the crime say to a felony. That's a big step for a lawmaker to consider.

In any event there has to be law enforcement out there to enforce these laws, but this is one of those areas that are always cut from budgets. The County, State, City and or Town always asks for "X" amount of dollars, they never get what they want because it usually leads to cuts to stuff that already have been in place or raising of taxes. Every department (Highway, education, law enforcement, fire, EMS, etc) has to skim a little off the top, more manpower is usually tossed for better equipment, supplies, pay increases, etc.

I have been a multi user for years, I have owned Jeeps, ATV's, dirtbikes and just about every internal combustion giggle machine produced. My experience this last year makes me wish that ATV's never were invented. I know that there is responsible users in the majority but it sure seems that all of the jerkoffs found me this year. I have seen douchebacks tearing up meadows, driving recklessly (nearly running over my daughter), riding cross country into the middle of my campsite, you name it. There now seems to be a sense of entitlement permeating that I have never seen before.

The problem is, as commented earlier, not the responsible riders but the turds. The turds are causing damage and conflict much greater then their percentage because of the mechanical advantage of their ride. One ATVer bent on destruction or overall douchebaggery can really tear up the world. So the answer is enforcement, I agree lets do it. But the ATV access groups have fought enforcement regulations tooth and nail. A classic example is the bill a few years ago to have registration numbers posted on ATV's so that turds could be identified, every excuse in the world including "it screws up the beauty of my rig" was thrown out. The end result, no law and no accountability.

There is a big backlash coming from a lot of sources, not just SUWA, hunting groups, conservation groups, government agencies are all working together to regulate ATV action. If USA-ALL and Ranier Huck want to stop it then they need to self regulate the turds before it impacts everyone.

Agreed.

IMO. . .sometimes it seems like the majority are the problem, EVERYONE is buying ATV's. If the responsible riders are outweighed by the, "jerkoffs" then we have a real problem Houston.

I like his verbiage