Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Things to do in SLC

Things to do in SLC

Hey all,

I need some ideas for some things to do in SLC over July 25th-26th timeline. I am rolling the 5.0 back from Yellowstone/Jacksonhole and passing thru Utah with some time to kill, and I realized I have never explored SLC or the Valley it is in. I've been to Moab, Zion, Bryce, Escalante, Lake Powell, but nothing around SLC.

I need tips for things to do, places to see, hikes, stripbars to hit, or whatnot. Can anybody help me out?
    ~Jason

Man who run behind car become exhausted...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

shootin' fireworks off outside shlingdawg's house ... 'round about midnight or so?

Temple Square!
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

Take a drive up big or little cottonwood canyon.

Quote Originally Posted by stefan
    shootin' fireworks off outside shlingdawg's house ... 'round about midnight or so?
    Hell, I almost forgot about that option sefan! Thanks! I am all loaded up with Mexican fireworks and tequila, and ready to party down with the neighbors till the wee hours of the mornin'!

What is your address again slingdawg??
    ~Jason

Quote Originally Posted by mrabe1979
    Take a drive up big or little cottonwood canyon.
    Can this be driven in a passenger car (gf's '05 Mustang)? Is it paved?
    ~Jason

Yes it's a great ride and of course it's paved

Other options would be:

Kennecott Mine (20 mins drive west of I-15)
    Temple Square (even if you are not a mormon, it's something to see)
    City Park (downtown and Capital)
    hike Grandeur and/or Olympus Peaks to see SL Valley
    There is a very famous little hike up Big Cottonwood canyon called donuts fall. It will take about an hour to drive up, hike and return to SL Valley
    We are kind of short on strip bars, but Southern Exposure has nice girls

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    Yes it's a great ride and of course it's paved

Other options would be:

Kennecott Mine (20 mins drive west of I-15)
    Temple Square (even if you are not a mormon, it's something to see)
    City Park (downtown and Capital)
    hike Grandeur and/or Olympus Peaks to see SL Valley
    There is a very famous little hike up Big Cottonwood canyon called donuts fall. It will take about an hour to drive up, hike and return to SL Valley
    We are kind of short on strip bars, but Southern Exposure has nice girls
    Hey Alex,

I am lazy, can you give me directions to Cottonwood Canyon from the 15?

Also, how far can you go in Kennecott Mine? Do they charge a fee, or do I need a pass?

Thanks a lot for your help bud!

Anybody else have any places cool to see they can think of?
    ~Jason

Yes they charge 5 bucks to get in, but I think it's totally worth it.

http://www.kennecott.com/SD_visitors_center.html
    http://www.kennecott.com/location_map.html

With no traffic, I think it's about 20 mins west from I-15. I used to work in the mine a while back, so I saw the pit from the bottom up and I have never seen anything like that before man. Seeing those huge trucks and the manpower to dig such a hole is unbelievable.

When you go there, you just come to the Visitor Center, you can watch a 15 mins movie (which I think is worth it) and look into the mine from the top of the rail guard.

To go to Big Cottonwood canyon is quite easy, here is a map:

http://www.skisolitude.com/downloads/location.pdf

Just take Exit 6 on I-215 and go towards the mountains, there are sign posts all over the place for the ski areas. There are two ski resorts up in Big C, Solitude and Brighton, both are nice hikes. At the top of the canyon there is a Guardsman pass (right before Brighton ski resort) which is a nice paved drive over to Park City (I'd recommend driving that) and then coming back home on I-80 from Park City.

If you do end up going to Little Cottonwood canyon (parallel to Big C), go to Snowbird and take the gondola ride to the top and enjoy the fresh air and the views. You can ride it back down as well. It's perfect gateway from smoggy SLC during the heat of the day.

With no traffic, I think it's about 20 mins west from I-15. I used to work in the mine a while back, so I saw the pit from the bottom up and I have never seen anything like that before man. Seeing those huge trucks and the manpower to dig such a hole is unbelievable.

When you go there, you just come to the Visitor Center, you can watch a 15 mins movie (which I think is worth it) and look into the mine from the top of the rail guard.

Just take Exit 6 on I-215 and go towards the mountains, there are sign posts all over the place for the ski areas. There are two ski resorts up in Big C, Solitude and Brighton, both are nice hikes. At the top of the canyon there is a Guardsman pass (right before Brighton ski resort) which is a nice paved drive over to Park City (I'd recommend driving that) and then coming back home on I-80 from Park City.

If you do end up going to Little Cottonwood canyon (parallel to Big C), go to Snowbird and take the gondola ride to the top and enjoy the fresh air and the views. You can ride it back down as well. It's perfect gateway from smoggy SLC during the heat of the day.

Thanks a bunch! You da man!!! Sounds like some cool things to see!
    ~Jason

Hey Alex,

On the Map, it shows the big mine near the visitor being called "Bingham Canyon" mine, is the one? There is also Barney's Canyon mine, is that worth seeing?
    ~Jason

Hey, we should try to have a uutah lunch at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by derstuka
    On the Map, it shows the big mine near the visitor being called "Bingham Canyon" mine, is the one? There is also Barney's Canyon mine, is that worth seeing?
    Yeah, Bingham Canyon is the same. Barney's? Not sure. You can't miss Kennecott though. They've taken a whole mountain, inverted it, and then left monstrous unsightly terraces that can be seen from 45 miles away. Just look to the west, find the ugliest stretch of mountain, and drive straight to it. The mine itself is kinda lame, just this huge ass hole in the ground. But if you get there when they are doing explosions... Then it is really cool. You can stand on the rim and watch, and they blast HUGE sections of earth out of the terraces. Shakes the ground, lotsa noise, etc... Kinda fun.

Big Cottonwood Canyon:
    From anywhere in the Salt lake Valley take I-215 East until you reach the 6200 South Exit (Exit 6). Signs are marked for the ski areas, you will be heading towards Brighton and Solitude Ski Resorts. Drive east on 6200 south and the road will become Wasatch Boulevard. Follow Wasatch Boulevard south to an intersection with Fort Union Boulevard (7200 South). The intersection is located 1.7 miles after exiting I-215. Turn east at this intersection and enjoy the canyon.

Re: Things to do in SLC

Quote Originally Posted by derstuka
    I need tips for things to do, places to see, hikes, stripbars to hit, or whatnot. Can anybody help me out?
    Haven't been, but, the laser show at Hansen Planetarium is supposed to be cool.

I'd suggest a tour of the Temple grounds. Go there first, look closely at the rock walls, then hit Little Cottonwood for where all that rock came from. Heck, you might even score a free book (ha!).

Drive to Alta, hike the Catherine's Pass trail (and beyond to Sunset Peak if you want some more workout, then come down past Point Supreme on the road through the cabins, usually a large moose in there). I think, visually, for out of town folks, LCC is kinda more stunning than BCC.

Ride the tram at Snowbird, hike down. Eat a garlic cheese burger at the Cotton Bottom (classic dive).

Rent a mountain bike and do the Wasatch Crest trail.

If its not too hot, you could hike up George's Hollow to the flintstones living room. Neat views of the city especially at sunset. Behind the U near Red Butte.

-Brian in SLC

Too bad I won't be in SLC that weekend -- I would've liked to give you a personalized tour of Kennecott, including an explanation of what every piece of machinery is doing and why. Barney's Mine is just to the North of Bingham Canyon mine, but it is mined out, and closed to public access.

Park City has a bunch of cool stuff -- the Alpine slide comes to mind.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

They have all kinds of shiz up at Snowbird these days.

Including:

. alpine slide

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    Too bad I won't be in SLC that weekend -- I would've liked to give you a personalized tour of Kennecott, including an explanation of what every piece of machinery is doing and why. Barney's Mine is just to the North of Bingham Canyon mine, but it is mined out, and closed to public access.

Park City has a bunch of cool stuff -- the Alpine slide comes to mind.

Yeah Rock, I was hoping we could load up some Dynamite and blow some shizzle up!

Seriously though, a tour would have been great, not sure if the gf would dig it, but I would.
    ~Jason

[quote=accadacca]They have all kinds of shiz up at Snowbird these days.

Including:

. alpine slide
    ~Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    Hey, we should try to have a uutah lunch at that time.
    Try some of dem der garlic burgers, eh?
    ~Jason