Thread: new US quarters & dollars

new US quarters & dollars

well, i am having a hard time realizing we're coming to the end of 50 states. it shows how fast time has flown. when i realized back in 99 that utah's wouldn't come out until 07 i thought, dang that's a long time ... hard to believe it's already here

anyway, i just thought i'd post the images of the final few quarters, as many of them are from nearby in the west including our very own ...

for the govsite see: http://www.usmint.gov/mint_programs/...arters_program

2007 Release Quarters

in circulation:

in circulation later this year:

in circulation 2008:
    Oklahoma
    New Mexico
    Arizona
    Alaska
    Hawaii

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Idaho's quarters should read: "Those damn surveyors screwed us!"
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Stupid golden spike. I voted for the snowboarding chick.

I picked up an Idaho one yesterday. Pretty neat looking artwork.

nice, I want 4 million

WTF? no potatoes?
    It's my job to call the BS around here. Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by price1869
    WTF? no potatoes?
    I think "Esto Perpetua" is Latin for "Always Potatoes."

I for one am glad they chose the Spike for Utah... about the only non-divisive part of this state's history. ;-) Plus, I'm just a big train fan, so...

two presidential dollar coins have already been released, jefferson in aug and madison in november.
    after the series completion, they will revert back to issuing the sacagawea coin

reverse side

edge design is interesting

who will be included? series likely will end somewhere circa 2016-17

According to the new law, a president must be deceased a minimum of two years before being honored on a presidential dollar coin.

The issuance dates for the first 38 presidential dollar coins are certain, carrying us until the year 2016. How many new presidential coins are minted beyond that is dependent on the number of living former presidents who die prior to 2014. Jimmy Carter and George H.W. both turn 90 that year. Bill Clinton and George W. Bush, both born in 1946, would be 68 in 2014, so the odds are good they won't qualify for their presidential coins by then. And what of the person elected president in 2008, 2012, and 2016? New legislation will probably be written to address this touchy issue.

this is just cool! i love duke ellington.

Duke Ellington becomes first African-American on U.S. coin

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Jazz legend Duke Ellington is the first African-American to appear on an American coin, the U.S. Mint says in introducing the latest in its line of state-themed quarters.
    The District of Columbia coin honoring Duke Ellington will be introduced Tuesday at the Smithsonian.

The District of Columbia commemorative quarter showing Ellington playing the piano will be introduced by U.S. Mint Director Ed Moy at a news conference Tuesday at the Smithsonian's National Museum of American History.

Ellington won the honor by a vote of D.C. residents, beating out abolitionist Frederick Douglass and astronomer Benjamin Banneker.

Also on the coin is the phrase "justice for all." The mint rejected the first inscription choice of D.C. voters, which was "taxation without representation," in protest of the District's lack of voting representation in Congress.

Edward Kennedy "Duke" Ellington received 13 Grammy Awards and was a pioneer in jazz, according to his official Web site.

Ellington was born in the District and composed more than 3,000 songs, including the notable "It Don't Mean a Thing If It Ain't Got That Swing," a song that helped usher in the swing era of jazz.

Ellington performed with other famous artists, including John Coltrane, Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald, and he traveled around the world with his orchestras.

Dont forget the new penny design, coming to your couch cusions in 2009

Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

My wife had a passenger when she was a tour guide who really liked her and still sends her a two dollar bill a couple of times a year. It was my son's first birthday last week and this random woman who road my wife's bus a couple of years ago sent my son to packages of every coin minted last year (from Denver and Philly). I have never been into coin collecting, but I thought the new dollar coins were really neat. It is kind of weird that the best gift my son received was from some random woman we who only knew a week.

I like this thread, thanks Stefan for staring it. It's pretty neat seeing the new currency

Quote Originally Posted by DiscGo
    My wife had a passenger when she was a tour guide who really liked her and still sends her a two dollar bill a couple of times a year. It was my son's first birthday last week and this random woman who road my wife's bus a couple of years ago sent my son to packages of every coin minted last year (from Denver and Philly). I have never been into coin collecting, but I thought the new dollar coins were really neat. It is kind of weird that the best gift my son received was from some random woman we who only knew a week.
    unfortunately,your wife didn't tell you, but once this strange woman makes her final payment she will be by to pick your son up.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.