Thread: Zion trip June 28-Jul 1

Zion trip June 28-Jul 1

Mtrekker, wasatch, and I headed to Zion this past weekend for a little fun. We ended up with permits for Behunin, and keyhole. They ended up being great caynons. We also ventured out to Red Hollow and then Yankee Doodle on the way home. These were very enjoyable also. It was a great trip and lots of fun. We must have had a little bad luck because we stuck our rope twice and had to ascend the rope to get it unstuck. Luckily Mtrekker won the paper, rock, scissors. I will be adding pictures when I get a little bit of free time. I think I took 172 total, the canyons were just so pretty. Check back for pictures and more details.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Bogley BigShot
    Which canyon did you get your rope stuck?

Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    Which canyon did you get your rope stuck?
    Behunin on the second to last rap, and then again in Red Hollow. In behunin the ropes got tangled down in a groove right on the edge of the platform. In red hollow I am not sure exactly what happened. All I know is that I was glad someone had gear to acsend

Not to mention, the ride back to MC, where we saw about 4 Mountain Goat's crossing the road and scaling the wall/rock in Zion. I believe no pics or video was taken, but what an awesome event.

Thanks for letting me tag along down red hollow, you guys were a lot of fun! Here are my pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images           

Hey Matt,

It was great having you along on Red Hollow. We need to do this again soon. If we do Red Hollow again, we need to do the big 300 ft. rap. Cheers!

John

Re: Zion trip June 28-Jul 1

Quote Originally Posted by shagster
    We also ventured out to Red Hollow and then Yankee Doodle on the way home. These were very enjoyable also.
    After having lived here for so long, I finally hiked Yankee Doodle last weekend. What a pleasant little slot canyon. We hung a 200' rope from the tree and used it to get down the first rappels. We didn't take another rope, so downclimbed the rest of the dryfalls and rock jams.

What a great hike for a quick intro to canyoning.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck
    Quote Originally Posted by shagster
    We also ventured out to Red Hollow and then Yankee Doodle on the way home. These were very enjoyable also.
    After having lived here for so long, I finally hiked Yankee Doodle last weekend. What a pleasant little slot canyon. We hung a 200' rope from the tree and used it to get down the first rappels. We didn't take another rope, so downclimbed the rest of the dryfalls and rock jams.

very nice short canyon,did ya need to use the new bolts
    amazing misuse.

[/quote]

very nice short canyon,did ya need to use the new bolts
    amazing misuse.[/quote]

Just to pop the bottle cap!
    No..we didn't take rope with us...sort of played the game "See who can spot the most bolts!" I think at final count it was somewhere around 9?????

We only saw one bolt, but then again, we were not looking for any, LOL

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Hey Bo

We have a canyon up here between Parowan and Brianhead if your interested some day. Or maybe you've already done it.

Kurt

Here is a few of my photos.
    Attached Images Attached Images          
    "Mountain climbers rope themselves together, probably to prevent the sensible ones from
    going home." Unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7
    We have a canyon up here between Parowan and Brianhead if your interested some day. Or maybe you've already done it.
    Which canyon is that? And I'd be interested

There is also anther little slot just down the road from Yankee Doodle known as Boltergiest. I'll see what I can do about getting a route description up for it in the very near future.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Quote Originally Posted by oldno7
    Which canyon is that? And I'd be interested

There is also anther little slot just down the road from Yankee Doodle known as Boltergiest. I'll see what I can do about getting a route description up for it in the very near future.

Shane,

I have some beta on Boltergiest, but it is very sketchy, from Neil back around 04. Would appreciate a newer/more reliable version. Talked to a couple of guy's that just finished Yankee Doodle before us, the one guy perfers YD over Boltergeist, but the beta I have, it has more rappels, water, but have not done it yet. It does sound more interesting than YD.