Thread: TR: Redwoods mtn bike tour.

TR: Redwoods mtn bike tour.

Heather and I made our annual pilgrimage to the Redwoods last week, we took our mtn bikes and bob trailers and did some mtn bike touring under the big trees, hit up some amazing coastal single track double track downhills, mud, rain, bugs, pain and more... fun times! :D

The ride started out at our base camp in Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park, we quickly found ourself in a canopy of 200' tall redwood trees:

We carried our camping gear on Bob Ibex trailers, we each had about 30bls of gear in our trailer, the track amazing and at times I had to look behind me to make sure my trailer was still there. You really only noticed it when heading up hill or in the mud:

A small stream crossing led us to this 60' water fall, I assume this drys up when its not raining. But I cant imagine a week goes by without a shower or two.

Heather learning the joys of clipless pedals!

About 10 miles in on the first day we came across a herd of Roosevelt Elk, they had a dozen or so babies with them, so we gave them lots of room and rode by slowly.

Just before we ran into the Elk it started to rain... HARD. We put on our rain jackets and then ran into the toughest section of the coastal trail. We had to portage our bikes and trailers one at a time over half a dozen fallen trees. We also ran into a few tricky muddy sections and water crossings.

Sadly, our camera battery died the first night, so no pictures of the the 2nd days ride from the coast back into the redwoods. I'm not sure I would have had the energy to take any more pictures, the 2nd day included a 1.8 mile push up a very un forgiving muddy trail. I would guess we got 1 - 1.5" of rain that night, and there was no way in hell anyone could have ridden more then a third of climb back to base. The last few miles were on pavement and all downhill... :D

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Obviously I carried the camera on this ride... :D

Heather did take a few pics of me riding, here I am on the pacific coast trail, I think this was a minute or two before it really started to rain:

Nice pics, Looks like a great time. So where exactly were you guys riding?

I keep scrolling down but I cant seem to find the belly dancing vids from this trip.

Looks fun, all while I was at work.

I like shaded trails!
    Ouch my freaking ears....

Don't understand my avatar? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQzIg0CPW5Q

That looks like a very cool ride. Thanks for the pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit42
    Nice pics, Looks like a great time. So where exactly were you guys riding?
    Our base camp was Prairie Creek Redwoods state park, its in Northern Ca, just a few miles south of Crescent City.

A most amazing area! Id love to bike the north end along the coast. I havent been there for YEARS but I still remember camping there as a kid. Good Times!