Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: August canyons?

You never know about Subway permits. I've picked them up Saturday morning for a Saturday descent. Just need to make sure you have a good fall back plan if the permits are gone.

Sunday we are doing Pine and Keyhole because Alex and Adam have never done them. I think we have 10 permits reserved for this. This will also allow us to get home at a descent hour on Sunday.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Yeah, I'm in on the Sunday plans, and I'm guessing Kyrell is too.

As far as Saturday goes, Boundary is still lookin like a viable option, but if Das Boot (or something else wet and cool) becomes available, I'm all over it.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

FWIW: The monsoon season should hit Southern Utah in the next week or so.... I expect the Zion canyons to have at least one good storm before our trip. Our trip is planned right in the middle of the traditional monsoon season so back up plans are also a good idea.

OK, I'm trying to get a count so we can do some real planning....

Ice
    Alex
    Adam
    Rockgremlin
    Kyrell
    nelsonccc
    Friend of nelsonccc
    CarpeyBiggs

Is this correct? Did I miss anyone so far? Anyone on the list who should not be?

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs
    Das Boot sounds nice, but we'd have to be down there pretty damn early to get a permit for a weekend, methinks. I won't be down that early... Perhaps we could get one for the Sunday, but we'd have to be in line early Saturday.

Rock, I'm down with Boundary on Saturday. Really, the MIA isn't THAT bad.
    My friend lives in Hurricane and will go up early Friday morning to get permits for us. Let's just decide on a canyon, figure out how many permits we need, reserve what we can, and then send Jason up for the rest. Works every time we do a canyon.

Looks like Keyhole/Pine is locked in for Sunday. I vote no for anything going up MIA. We were out on the west rim a couple weekends ago on our way to Heaps and it was way fu**ing hot. I'd consider Eye/Boundary/Goose!!! with a hike out the bottom. It would be a long day but doable.

I'm okay with Das Boot but perhaps we should look at an entry farther upstream to prolong the day so we exit in the late evening? How many hookers do you want me to bring up from vegas? Any body want some real beer?

I have zero desire to do Keyhole again. There has got to be another Sunday option.

Kyrell, what about Spry?

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonccc
    My friend lives in Hurricane and will go up early Friday morning to get permits for us. Let's just decide on a canyon, figure out how many permits we need, reserve what we can, and then send Jason up for the rest. Works every time we do a canyon.
    Dang man, that is some kinda friend. This is worth considering, but I think Shane has something up his sleeve. If the group gets bigger though, I think two groups might be a good idea. In which case I'd be happy to do a left fork variation. Also, if some people don't want to do Pine, I'd be happy to try something else, maybe an early morning run through spry, and spend some time in the swimming holes before heading for home?

I think Shane has something up his sleeve.
    I'm kinda working on something a little special for Saturday. I'm just to busy to get all the details together today. I'm 95% positive we can get permits but we would need them Friday evening.

The Saturday group is locked at the members listed 3 or 4 posts ago unless you clear things with me. If anyone wants to bail on the Saturday surprise you need to also let me know.

I'll try and get all the details together in the next couple of days.

Soooooo....my revised plan is:

Saturday: Iceaxe surprise

Sunday: I agree with Kyrell in that Keyhole is probably 37th on my top ten list for that weekend. I would be down with Pine Creek though, and maybe something else.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Is keyhole that bad? You guys seem to want to avoid it like a pile of puke.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    No, Keyhole is good. It's just been done a thousand times by most... And it is super short.

I don't mind an early start Sunday and Spry sounds like it'd be a cool option. Haven't done Pine yet either so I'm still good with that.

No, Keyhole is good. It's just been done a thousand times by most... And it is super short.
    Guess it shows how much of a noob I still am

Oh well, the only way to catch up is to go out and play

keyhole is nice ,
    but as soon you are getting all excited you are at the exit
    the whole think take less than 1 h including approach.

and you still need a permit.
    but is worthed doing and you can take friends and they will have fun.

Guess it shows how much of a noob I still am

Oh well, the only way to catch up is to go out and play

FWIW: There is actually an upper section to Keyhole that is seldom done that is nice and adds length of the route. I'm guessing the upper section is seldom done because it is not mentioned in any of the guides.

Heck, at one time folks would take the short cut and eliminate everything between the hoodoo and first rappel.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    FWIW: There is actually an upper section to Keyhole that is seldom done that is nice and adds length of the route. I'm guessing the upper section is seldom done because it is not mentioned in any of the guides.
    When we were down there a few weeks ago, the upper part was bone dry, and because the canyon walls are fairly shallow it was very hot...

I enjoy Key Hole as a nice warmup after being stuck in the car for 6 hours. A good way to get ready for the next day's canyon on the agenda.

It looks like everything will be filled with water for our trip.