Thread: Kamas Lake/Lofty Lake Loop

Kamas Lake/Lofty Lake Loop

In another topic I promised a trip report, and here it is. We had a fabulous overnighter to Kamas Lake on the Lofty Lake Loop, run clockwise. Executive summary:
    • Easy hike in
    • Reid's Meadow is beautiful
    • We had Kamas Lake all to ourselves, negating the need to head to Cutthroat Lake or Teal Lake to find solitude
    • Fishing was decent in Kamas Lake, with a cutthroat trout dinner earned
    • Mosquitoes and deer flies were omnipresent, but Ben's 100% kept them at bay
    • The brilliant full moon rising over the ridgeline was stunning
    • Saturday night was darned chilly after 3 am or so
    • The hike out today via the remainder of Lofty Lake Loop affords incredible views. The trail was rather busy from Lofty Lake down to Scout Lake and back to the Pass Lake trailhead parking.

Photos:
    Attached Images Attached Images                      

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

And the Newb pull out a sweet first TR...

nice work

what'd ya land the cutt's on?

Thanks, Marc. The DEET went straight to skin...now it's time to hop in the shower to wash it off. My priorities must be screwed up when I post the trip report before getting rid of the eau de dried sweat and DEET.

Quote Originally Posted by marc olivares
    I'm a moron. I'm tired. I can't believe I misread this quote.

The answer: a Panther Martin gold spinner with a tail.

Quote Originally Posted by FirstTracks
    Quote Originally Posted by marc olivares
    I'm a moron. I'm tired. I can't believe I misread this quote.

The answer: a Panther Martin gold spinner with a tail.
    yeah i can see how that could seem like a strange question

Great TR man, thanks for sharing, looks like the weather was looking your way!

So, how is the mosquito situation? Did DEET really help?

How long was the total hike and what was the elevation gain/drop?

Alex, the DEET really did work wonders. Either side of sunrise and sunset the mosquitoes were everywhere. In between the problem was annoying deer flies. I'm someone who's reluctant to put anything on until it really becomes a problem, and I applied it liberally. With the DEET they were only annoying because they'd swarm in front of your face, but they wouldn't bite anything that had been treated. I came away with only one bite between two fingers that was received before I applied the DEET - that's it.

I haven't pulled the GPS track from the handheld, but based on the route drawn on the map above the total distance was 3.76 miles with a total of 1,250 feet of elevation gain.

Thanks for putting up the TR FirstTracks....was a great trip...many spectacular views as the photos clearly show. Mellow hiking all around, GREAT trout dinner (nothing like earning your dinner ), and good company all around.

DEET did really work wonders...

Can't wait to hit the trail again.
    Woof Woof!

Looks like a great trip. I've never been to Kamas Lake before. Looks like it might be a good place to take the wife. What's the hike in like?

Quote Originally Posted by kris247
    Looks like a great trip. I've never been to Kamas Lake before. Looks like it might be a good place to take the wife. What's the hike in like?
    Easy hike in ...Easy hike out....little harder 2nd day as the majority of the uphill is that day....I was actually thinking of taking my wife on this hike after having done it. If she's not a complainer and has basic hiking skills it should be super easy...and its a super great location.

M
    Woof Woof!

If you want to keep it easier, just do an out-and-back via Reid's Meadow. That's a total 502' of elevation gain.

Looks like a blast and I love your use of bullets.

you see many people up there? I'm wondering if I'd get away with packing into Kamas lake with my 3 dogs, or if there are going to be plenty of people for them to annoy.
    Tear down Dams, Build up Dreams!

Four, the Kamas Lake area was empty, but I think we were lucky. After we arrived at the campsite we saw one guy hike through with his dog, then we never saw another soul until around 10am the next day when a group of 4 day hikers arrived to fish.

Our plan if there were others camping at Kamas Lake was to continue north to the height of land a quarter mile north of the lake, where the trail turns east to continue ascending the ridge to Lofty Lake, and drop north into the trailless area to camp at Cutthroat Lake, Teal Lake, or one of the other lakes in that area. There's a photo of Cutthroat Lake above.

It was clear that the busiest part of the Lofty Lake Loop is run counter-clockwise from the Pass Lake trailhead lot to Lofty Lake, up past Picturesque Lake and Scout Lake. This is the most direct route to Lofty Lake for day hikers, and descending via that route on Sunday morning we passed numerous parties heading up that way.

I'm thinking about heading up there this weekend. How were the bugs?

Edit: Duh. Nevermind.

Nice TR. Scout to Lofty to Kamas is one of my favorite hikes and Kamas is some fun fishing.
    Life is Good

what a beautiful area! Ive camped in every regular 'site' along that highway over the years but not much hiking with the wife...she's not a hiker

looks awesome. thanks.