Thread: Pfeifferhorn TR

Pfeifferhorn TR

What an AMAZING hike! Wow. Rich (my husband), Ian (Mtnbkr) and Tammy (Ian's wife) went up on Friday to Red Pine lake, camped for the night (had a blast, I'm reserving those pics! haha! Thanks to Tams for hauling up 4 lbs of wine! heehee) and then headed up to Pfeifferhorn the next morning after a gross breakfast of oatmeal and coffee (I hate oatmeal!!). We left camp around 9:00 am. Fortunately we came across a couple of guys on their way down at the upper lake because we really had no idea what the best way to get up to the ridge line was, and our thinking was all wrong, based on what we read in some trail books. The route up was still pretty steep and loose. The knife's edge was not scary, as it looked, but one spot made us nervous. Looking across on this side of the knife's edge to the route to the summit looked impossible, although, it wasnt bad at all. The views from the top: astounding.
    Attached Images Attached Images               
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

i love that hike

thanks for sharing T

I've yet to do this one, but I hear it's outstanding. Now I'm envious... Congrats on gettin' er done. Thanks for the TR.

<---- This is me, green with envy.

Great TR.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

Thanks, all. It was seriously a ton of fun and really really beautiful up there. I derfinately recommend this hike.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

Nice T, looks like a riot. Was it cold up there at night?

Naw, about 50, I'd say. We had a jacket on and 35/40 degree bags and were very comfortable.

This looks like a great hike from the AF side. I did a quick jont to Silver Lake Glance and loved that hike.
    ethical pursuit ethical kache

Thats the hotness. . .

This is by far my favorite hike in the Wasatch. The lake is perfect for an overnight camp with a summit in the morning. Awesome pics, looks like you survived the knife edge. I like the picture of the group heading up to the ridge, this is a picture of the glissade down that exact same spot in January:
    Conquistare al mundo!!!

heehee - the knife's edge was not as bad as it was perceived, (usually nothing is) except one spot was a little sketchy to us.

Hey, I read in one of the guide books, and looking at your picture, that many people do this as a spring snow hike... that seems like it would be very difficult getting over the Knife's edge and up the face to the summit in snow, have you done it? How is that?

This is the part that seems really hard/scary/sketchy in slippery snow: