Thread: American Fork Twin Peaks TR

American Fork Twin Peaks TR

A week ago the guy I usually hike with and I headed up to Hidden Peak planning to summit the Twins. The crossing from Hidden Peak to the Twins was tougher than I wanted to try although he summited. We decided to try coming up from the west and Saturday climbed up the ridge just west of the Gad II lift at Snowbird. Still a lot of scrambling but not quite as intimidating for me. We came out on Red Top and climbed on up to the West Twin then over to the East Twin. We made a loop out of it by heading east a bit toward Hidden Peak before dropping off the Snowbird side and back to the parking area. A great day but a very demanding hike. I would also mention that while climbing the ridge west of the Gad II lift some rockfall occurred several hundred feet south of me. No apparent cause and some of the rocks were large enough to so serious damage if one struck you. I am (hopefully) attaching some photos. By the way, if anyone disagrees with my identification you are probably right since I am mostly guessing from reading the map.
    RP
    Attached Images Attached Images      

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Hope the persistence was worth the payoff. Definitely some beautiful territory up there.

Definitely worth the effort to get there. I won't be in a hurry to do it again but probably will try next year, too many other hikes left for this year. Not much sign of people up there. I am not sure why since it is really a shorter hike than Pfeifferhorn and is also a county highpoint. We left the trailhead early and only saw one other hiker about a quarter mile away who appeared to be heading to Hidden Peak. How hard is that to do on a nice Saturday in the Wasatch?

This will go on my "to do" list! I love the flowers, I was wondering what those were.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

Provo, UT (Washington D.C. for the summer)

Good climb

AF Twins are a great short hike (about 3 hours) if you take the tram up. Look for Snowbirds free tram day in the fall. All you have to do is donate some canned goods. The ridge from Hidden Peak to the Twins is more "knife-edge" than the so called knife edge ridge of the Pfeifferhorn!