Thread: TR - Provo River

TR - Provo River

I decided to start getting my kid getting used to white water and what a perfect place to do it, the Provo River. We went out today out there, rented a 4 man raft from the High Country (http://www.highcountryrafting.com/) outfitters ($60) and floated the river.

The river is a great start for any beginner and/or family trips. You get splashed, you get a couple of rapids which might qualify as class II, but you get to play with the current and navigational skills. My kid had a riot, once even almost fell in when we bumped a rock hard.

I think anyone can really do it, even if you have never been on a river before. If you don't feel confident, you can get guided tours, or just invite me

FYI, a "4 man raft" that they rent out, is actually a paddle boat and requires at a minimum 4 paddlers. I didn't know that, so I was a little surprised. They tried to talk me out of the trip (after I paid the cash), since I only had my wife and my kido. It was a little tricky to get my wife up to speed to paddling, but by the end we were an unstoppable family of 2.5 on a 4 man paddle raft. woot!

If you do get to go down this river they will tell you to stay away from a pillar bridge and carry the boat around. This part is not bad at all. If you have had any river experience, just hug the right side, line up and go on the 1st or 2nd opening from the river right. If you are doing an unguided float and never have been on the river, it might be best to walk around. This bridge is the only questionable spot and might qualify as a class 2 rapid because of the semi technical navigation and a squeeze.

It took us exactly 4 hours from the time we left our SLC house to the time we got back (we stopped for lunch as well). Bring lots of water and sunscreen. Booties help to keep the feet warm, the water is very cold.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

sweet. We also went out on 6/30/07, my birthday! We had a little 3 person raft and a little tube. My wife and my three daughters rode in the raft and I was in the tube. I hooked my tube to the raft and just steered everyone. Great fun.

Edit: I am pretty sure I saw you Kazak. We were getting out at Vivian park a little ways before the bridge. I was on the right(North side) deflating stuff when you guys went by. I don't remember you but I remember wishing I wore a shirt, I got my shoulders sunburned.

Did the crazy lady get mad at you for bringing your son? She yelled to us "Why do you bring such young kids our here" in a condescending voice. So I yelled back "The outdoors if for people of all ages to enjoy." She wasn't happy.
    The man thong is wrong.

I believe I paid attention to you too man! We need to wear signs "Uutah memeber" over our heads when we all go out

No, I didn't get yelled by the lady, but the High Country people gave me a hard time running a 4 men raft with only two of us and a little kid. The dude gave me a shpill about 2 couples flipping with little kids in the last week.

I love it how they generalize everyone, I guess majority of their customers are bunch of noobs.

I have to say I was very surprised to see 50% of the people on the river were with no PFDs and wetsuits (in tubes). The second you lose respect for the river, the second you drown.

Ya. I always wear and make everyone with me wear a life jacket. I have never worn a wetsuit though. I got used to the water after a little bit.
    The man thong is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx
    Ya. I always wear and make everyone with me wear a life jacket. I have never worn a wetsuit though. I got used to the water after a little bit.
    I passed a lot of teenagers trying to impress each other with their rock tits and blue lips. I don't know why kids do that, ending up with a cold or something doesn't impress anyone.

If you saw us on a river, you knew I am business when it comes to sun/water protection. I look like a dork on the river with my biggest flotation PFD and my gilligan hat, but hey, I don't get sunburn, and I float well too

And yes, I wear nylon pants instead of swimming trunks, I hate getting sunburn on my legs.

... you should have yelled something, we'd stop to say hi

I would have yelled to you but I didn't know it was you until I saw that picture of your wife and son in your TR.

I get too hot so I jump in every once in a while. My 6 year old did to, for a second. I think the lady was mad at us because we had our one year old in the raft, but she is also just a crazy old biotch.
    The man thong is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex

I love it how they generalize everyone, I guess majority of their customers are bunch of noobs.
    Are you kidding? They have to generalize everyone. Many people are just plain dumb as dirt, and selfish to boot. If they do not tell you to use a PDF, have a four man crew, or just use every safety precaution, there is all the greater possibility that they will be sued by you if something goes wrong, even if it is 100% your fault. We live in a very sue happy environment, where it seems like most people do not want to take any personal responsibility for their actions. I mean, why should they, it is much easier to do something stupid of your own fault, and sue somebody else for 10 mil. Because of litigation (and just how stupid most people are), if I were an outfitter, I would give everyone the same safety speech, and requirements, what they do after they leave my shop is up to them.

Sad thing is, I can TOTALLY see someone renting a raft with a young kid like yours, and something happening, and then suing the rafting/rental company for all they have and more because "they should not have rented us the raft with a young child." It doesn't matter how many disclaimers you sign, people still get a jury to award money in some cases. Do not take this post as an insult to you, I am just mad because of the way that nobody wants to take personal responsibility these days, many people want to sue somebody and have somebody pay them millions because of their own fault.

BTW, looks like a fun time! I'm gonna be rafting the Snake River in JacksonHole, WY in a couple of weeks. I reserved an 8 man raft, instead of the HUGE 14 man they have, where not everybody paddles, I want everybody earning their keep in my raft!!!
    ~Jason

Man who run behind car become exhausted...