Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My dad died Sunday

My dad died Sunday

My dad died of a heart attack Sunday, and I'm mad at him. I wanted to do a lot of things still with the guy, after both my missionaries got home and I had some extra money. I will miss the guy. Here's his obit: http://www.legacy.com/saltlaketribun...sonId=89694969

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I am so sorry Jim. He sounded like a great guy.

Resident Southern Belle savanna3313's Avatar
    Southern transplant......again.....this time to Southern Utah!
    My condolences to you and your family. My Dad was killed 20 years ago and I still miss him! He was one of a kind as I'm sure most people's Dads are.
    Never regret anything that made you smile!

I am so sorry, I almost lost my own dad last October and it was the scariest time of my life. I am grateful for everyday I have with him. My condolences.
    "You Sombitch's couldn't close an umbrella"
    Sheriff Beuford T Justice

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Your dad sounds like he lived a solid, honest life. May the enternal hunting and fishing grounds be as plentiful as ever.

Sorry man, best wishes

Sorry Jim, my ole man is pushing 81 and I don't even want to think about him being gone. I've become pretty tight with my Dad over the last year, my thoughts go out to your family.

Sorry to hear that man. I lost my dad over 30 yrs ago and i know what you mean by being mad, i'm still mad not a day goes by that i wish he was still here. I still talk to him, just not the same...Jim

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I cant imagine how hard that must be.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

Sorry to hear, our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family

My condolences Jim.

Our Prayers are with you. My dad passed on over 8 years ago at 83 and I never really had a relationship with him. Your dad sounded like a great person, cherish the memories. My mom passed on at the age of 81 last year and I wish I had been able to spend more time with her. I guest that is why I am doing everything I can to help my wife spend as much time with her mom. Live and cherish life.
    Live Life, Don't Watch Life!

Thanks for all your great thoughts. It's much appreciated at this time.

Now, here's a related story: So we're all just kind of hanging out at my parents house, you know, off and on since dad's death, doing the planning for the services and keeping each other company. Anyway, late Monday night all of us have gone home except my brother who is planning on spending the night, and his wife and kids, who have just gone out and gotten in the car to go home. Anyway, my sister-in-law is outside in the car and this drug-crazed gangster comes up and begins threatening her big time through the window. Seems this guy's house down the street got broken into and he's accusing her. She gets on her cell and calls into the house for my brother (a former cop) to come out. He does, gets the guy into some kind of hold and has his wife call 911. About that time, three of the gang members friends arrive carrying golf clubs. My youngest brother who is witnessing this runs into the house and gets one of my dad's loaded guns and brings it to my other ex-cop brother. By now the guy in the hold is getting really beligerent and the others are threatening with the golf clubs. My brother puts the gun up against this guys head and says, "I'll kill you if you don't back off." The guy still doesn't stop and the friends are advancing. Feeling that not only his own life was in imminent danger, but that of his wife and kids, my brother pulls the trigger. Click. (I'm not sure if this actually happened, or if he was explaining what would've happened if he would've had to pull the trigger) The safety was still on. As a cop he'd had to carry a gun without the safety on, so that was still instilled in him. Thank God, because it looked bad for all of them, the gansters dead, my brother probably hurt bad. But about that time the cops got there and handles the situation---well, as the cops drove up the three hoods with golf clubs started walking away, but turned back and said something like, "this ain't over. You messed with the wrong guys." After that, my other brother, who still is a cop came over and the two of them stayed the night with Mom and my youngest brother. Anyway, that's a heckuva way to spend the funeral planning week.

Quote Originally Posted by jimflint1
    Thanks for all your great thoughts. It's much appreciated at this time.

Now, here's a related story: So we're all just kind of hanging out at my parents house, you know, off and on since dad's death, doing the planning for the services and keeping each other company. Anyway, late Monday night all of us have gone home except my brother who is planning on spending the night, and his wife and kids, who have just gone out and gotten in the car to go home. Anyway, my sister-in-law is outside in the car and this drug-crazed gangster comes up and begins threatening her big time through the window. Seems this guy's house down the street got broken into and he's accusing her. She gets on her cell and calls into the house for my brother (a former cop) to come out. He does, gets the guy into some kind of hold and has his wife call 911. About that time, three of the gang members friends arrive carrying golf clubs. My youngest brother who is witnessing this runs into the house and gets one of my dad's loaded guns and brings it to my other ex-cop brother. By now the guy in the hold is getting really beligerent and the others are threatening with the golf clubs. My brother puts the gun up against this guys head and says, "I'll kill you if you don't back off." The guy still doesn't stop and the friends are advancing. Feeling that not only his own life was in imminent danger, but that of his wife and kids, my brother pulls the trigger. Click. (I'm not sure if this actually happened, or if he was explaining what would've happened if he would've had to pull the trigger) The safety was still on. As a cop he'd had to carry a gun without the safety on, so that was still instilled in him. Thank God, because it looked bad for all of them, the gansters dead, my brother probably hurt bad. But about that time the cops got there and handles the situation---well, as the cops drove up the three hoods with golf clubs started walking away, but turned back and said something like, "this ain't over. You messed with the wrong guys." After that, my other brother, who still is a cop came over and the two of them stayed the night with Mom and my youngest brother. Anyway, that's a heckuva way to spend the funeral planning week.
    Sorry to hear about your dad. I also don't want to think about the day I have to face this. My dad is 81. And.... Holy Crap with the funeral planning week. Glad no one was hurt or killed. Lucky your brothers were former or present cops or I have a feeling they may have been arrested.
    Life is Good

Hey, thanks all of you for your kind words.

Lucky your brothers were former or present cops or I have a feeling they may have been arrested.
    Actually, I had the facts wrong. My brother didn't point the gun and try to shoot, until one of the friends of the gang member came running toward him with the golf club in attack position. He still had the first guy in the hold, and it looked like the other guy meant him great harm. So he pointed at the running attackers chest and fired. When the gun didn't go off, my brother screamed "I'll kill you." And I think the guy backed away then, giving the cops time to arrive. The cops at the end of the 911 call heard the entire altercation and it would have been a clear case of self-defense. Still, not something you want to deal with during the week of a funeral.

Anyway the funeral, or rather graveside service was today, and everything went well. I mean as far as that kind of thing goes. A lot of nice things were said, some humorous memories were shared, and some tears were shed as well. Now we need to go on with life, but I appreciate having some compassionate folks here to vent to. Thanks again.

My sympathies, Jim, to you and your family.
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

Quote Originally Posted by jimflint1
    but I appreciate having some compassionate folks here to vent to. Thanks again.
    Hey bud, sooner or later all of us will be going through the same thing, just a fact of life. Life goes on, and we go with it. At least your dad is done putting up with all this chaotic bull crap and he is in a much better Woodtick place now

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    Hey bud, sooner or later all of us will be going through the same thing, just a fact of life. Life goes on, and we go with it. At least your dad is done putting up with all this chaotic bull crap and he is in a much better Woodtick place now
    You got that right!!

Sorry to hear of your loss, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.