Thread: Book recommendations

Book recommendations

Ok guys/gals summer has officially begun for me finally now that Spring semester is over and I'm taking summer semester off. So I need a good book or two...any suggestions?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

"Fool's Progress" by Edward Abbey.

"Frankenstein" by Mary Shelly.

"The Great Gatsby" by F. Scott Fitzgerald.

"Neither Wolf nor Dog" by Kent Nerburn.

"Family Linen" by Lee Smith.
    "The eagle never lost so much time as when he consented to learn of the crow."

-- Wm Blake

Have you read the Big Sky series? There are 5 or 6 in his series. Do you like western era novels?

My husband and his friend really liked them but they were too "guyish" for me.
    http://www.amazon.com/Big-Sky-B-Guth...2883391&sr=8-9

If you're looking for "desert rat" books I like:

I also have John Wesley Powell's diaries on my reading list for this summer. (As soon as I finish Abbey's Road).

If you want a good spy novel (and what's summer without a spy novel?) check out:
    • The Day After Tomorrow by Allan Folsom. (Note: this book has nothing to do with the crapfest movie that came out a few years ago. This book has also been known to ruin many vacations since the reader can't put it down and do other things)

If you just want a good read, check out these books:

Quote Originally Posted by kris247
    John Wesley Powell's diaries on my reading list for this summer. (As soon as I finish Abbey's Road).
    That book is AMAZING. You'll love it.

OK -- How did Lonesome Dove almost ruin your honeymoon? Share.
    "The eagle never lost so much time as when he consented to learn of the crow."

-- Wm Blake

Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Coyote
    OK -- How did Lonesome Dove almost ruin your honeymoon? Share.
    For our honeymoon Lissa and I went on a cruise down the east coast, starting in New York City, up to Halifax, and back down to NYC. I was reading Lonesome Dove at the time, and couldn't put it down. Every chance I got I was reading that book, and in the meantime my wife wanted to do, well, anything else. By about the third straight day of reading I think she was reconsidering the marriage.

"Stand On It - A Novel By Stoker Ace" is without a doubt the finest book on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by kris247
    Every chance I got I was reading that book, and in the meantime my wife wanted to do, well, anything else.
    Dang.... On my honeymoon we just had lots of sex.

Examples: The Making of 40 Photographs by Ansel Adams.

The Kite Runner

Three Cups of Tea

The Glass Castle

Water For Elephants

Reading Lolita in Tehran

Anything by Carl Hiaasen
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

Are you looking for Outdoor themed books, or just some good reading?

For outdoor books, I would suggest

One Man's Wilderness by Sam Keith
    Into the Wild by John Krakauer
    The Last Season by Eric Blehm
    Undaunted Courage by Stephen Ambrose

Just good books are
    Anything by Dean Koontz or Jeff Long. If you haven't read any Dan Brown, I would suggest that too.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnman1830

Just good books are
    Anything by Dean Koontz or Jeff Long. If you haven't read any Dan Brown, I would suggest that too.
    Definately echo the reccomendation for the Last Season, a very good read, i couldn't put it down. Also any of Joe Simpsons books.

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonccc

Just good books are

Definately echo the reccomendation for the Last Season, a very good read, i couldn't put it down. Also any of Joe Simpsons books.[/quote]

As for Joe Simpson, a must read is Touching the Void.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

If you haven't already...

Catcher in the Rye
    Beloved(intense)
    Heart of Darkness

All very good books that make you think
    Some days all you can do is smile and wait for some kind soul to come pull your ass out of the bind you've gotten yourself into

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm just looking for some light reading, not really outdoors themed stuff. I'll check out some of your suggestions and see what suits my interests.

On The Rez by Ian Frazier.

An excerpt:

Aurelia invited us in and gave us mugs of hot tea with honey. She stirred something in a pot on the stove, and Le told me to come look, that she was cooking bull snake. I peered into the pot and saw slices of canned luncheon meat. I said it was a convenient sort of snake, to slice up so nice that way. Aurelia moved boxes of cloth scraps from the couch so we could sit. Late season flies were buzzing at the windowpanes like wind-up toys running down, and Aurelia swatted vexedly at them with her hand. Then she went and got an aerosol can of hair spray, shook it, and sprayed it at the flies. They dropped in a heap on the sill. She said, "Not a lot of people know that hair spray kills insects almost as good as insect spray -- mmm-hmm, it's so."