Thread: bags n' boots

bags n' boots

nuantak alpinist, medium, 20deg., pertex shell - $50
    north face superlight endurance, regular, -5deg, pertex shell - $50 SOLD
    scarpa m3 hiking boots, 41 1/2 - $30

paring down the least used items out of my inventory.

both bags in great shape, perform great, seen some cool shit, but been usurped by other gear.

boots just too small. a little scuffed up cosmetically. got 'em on clearance a few years ago and wore them a few times befeore realizing they are just too small. less than a 100 miles on 'em.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    signature

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I notice that this is advertised as a shell. Is there another inner sack that's supposed to go inside of this? I am so illiterate when it comes to sleeping bags.

Which one of these two is better?
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Are the sleeping bags sized for women ?

Quote Originally Posted by REDFOX
    Are the sleeping bags sized for women ?
    no. sorry !
    signature

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    I notice that this is advertised as a shell. Is there another inner sack that's supposed to go inside of this? I am so illiterate when it comes to sleeping bags.

Which one of these two is better?
    sorry rg, i didn't notice your post for some reason. i think i saw the pic and just skimmed by it thinking it was my ad.

but no, it has no separate inner liner. the inner liner, teh part next to your skin, is plain ol' microfiber. the shell is merely the material the outer portion of the bag is made w/. in this case, pertex, a type of microfiber.

which one is better ? well, the tnf bag is rated to -5, so if you are a really cold sleeper or winter camp it wouldl be an option. the nunatak i used in summer mountain trips when i know the temp likely won't dip much below 30. i sleep kinda cold so i take a colder bag. the nunatak also packs light and small. more here - http://www.nunatakusa.com/Sleeping_Bag_Alpinist..htm

i have an older bag which does not have the canter ziper they now build in. so you just skooch into it thru the head and then cinch up the hood.
    signature

Is the tnf bag filled with down? I really need a warm bag. I have a good ole fashioned cotton open ended bag, and I freeze to death in that thing if the temps get around 30 degrees at night. I am very cold-blooded and need a good cold weather bag.

Will the tnf fit the bill?

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    Is the tnf bag filled with down? I really need a warm bag. I have a good ole fashioned cotton open ended bag, and I freeze to death in that thing if the temps get around 30 degrees at night. I am very cold-blooded and need a good cold weather bag.

Will the tnf fit the bill?
    yeah, if you do any amount of sleeping out in colder weather you should get a good bag. if you camp from a car in the cold you could use a nice comfy air mattress and a couple down quilts and warm undies, but that is a lot of space in a car compared to one bag. although i have done that because the confines of a mummy bag can get oppressive to me.

i sold my north face bag already, but yes, anything down filled will keep you cozy. there are plenty of synthetic fill - permaloft, primaloft - that are used in bags as well and are cheaper, but they do not retian their loft in my experience and you replace them frequently. don't know if never compressing them helps extend life, but down will retain its loft for many many years. those synthetics are also billed as retaining heat even when wet. but i would rather plan on, and aggresively pursue, staying dry in the first place. the vast majority of down bags are mummy style and have a hood you can cinch to varying degrees, also colder rated bags have a zipper baffle anb draft collar at the neck of the bag to eliminate drafts coming in and retain more body heat. and don't forget ground insulation. no pad under you can really rob your body heat. i use a cheap ass wal mart closed cell foam. my thermarests never seemed to take backpacking well.

so if you are a really cold sleeper get a bag rated 10 degress or more colder than what you plan to sleep out in. can always wear some good undies and/or a down sweater/pant combo to add to your insulation in the bag.

hope that is helpful for you. a cold nights sleep relying upon your built in heater, aka shivering, makes for a miserable night !

maybe try sierratradingpost.com for a bag. if you don't like it they will take it back no problem.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/sea...down&N=9000319
    signature

thanks for the info man!!