Thread: Zion Conditions

Zion Conditions

A group of us were in Zion all last week. Did Spry, Full Imlay (PH), Full Heaps (PV), Full Left Fork, Keyhole, and Orderville.

Most of them were my first time through; so I don't have a lot of comparisons; but here it goes.

Spry: Not a lot of water. None of us brought a wetsuit, and none of us wishes we had. Hot approach, start early.

Full Imlay: Awesome canyon. Did hook out of three potholes, heard other teams hooked out of 7. We could have hooked out of less, but we were running low on time (we were trying to do it in a day for our first pass through.) Did use some other methods, pack tosses, etc. Water was definitely lower than normal. First pothole escape was the most challenging, as the lip was a little overhung. Not too big of an issue though, if you've done hooking before. Lots of cold water. Two in drysuits, mine leaked. Was a little chilled. One in a 5mm full wetsuit, other in a 2/3 full with 2/3 farmer john and paddle jacket. Both of them got chilled at times, but were able to warm up easily as we found plenty of sun in the canyon.

Full Heaps: My new favorite canyon in the states. Awesome stuff. No hooking, but lots of creativity. Especially in the final two sections that most people go around. Again, lots of cold water. Brought thicker fleece under my drysuit; found the leak, but the duct tape didn't hold. Still leaked. Wasn't cold though with the thicker fleece. Two others had same wetsuits as above, both were chilled, but again not bad. Got through it in a day. Thanks Tom for the extra gear!

Full Left Fork: Hammerhead, Wildcat, Upper Left, Das Boot and Subway. WAY less water than last year. Brought my Heaps setup, as I was anticipating flowing water like last year. Wrong. Very few swims, mostly dry rock hopping. One pothole swim in Upper Left, swim at bottom of Das Boot. Others just wading. Can likely do comfortably in 3mm full or possibly 3mm farmer john. Less would likely be cold. Your mileage may vary.

Keyhole: Ran it at night (thanks again Bruce!) First time through, so no comparison, but had one unavoidable chest deep pool, just before the second rap. We all had 3/2 type suits; full, shorty, etc. I had a no sleeve with short legs shorty; and was fine, but I run hot. You could likely go without during the day. Wasn't bad at night either. Fun little canyon.

Orderville: Beautiful canyon; although it's a decent day's hike. Drops can be downclimbed, but are a little glazed so be careful. Graffiti in the upper section is a total bummer. Lower section is beautiful, but gets lots of Narrows traffic. Springs and flowing water about half way through.

It was very hot there last week; temps over 100 every day; with the nights cooling down to 60's or 70's. Water is getting skanky in some canyons. (Some in Imlay, Heaps, and Left. Keyhole definitely skanky.)

Roads are fine for 2wd high-clearance vehicles; including West Rim road, upper parking lot for Orderville, and Mosquito Cove. Could likely do a passenger car 2wd on all, but would have to be careful and slow on them. Subarus made it just fine.

Mosquito cove was hot, but bugs weren't bad. Bugs weren't bad in most of the park. Good springs at Emerald, Subway, Orderville. Found some decent pothole water in Heaps and Imlay.

Hope it helps!
    A.J.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: Zion Conditions

A.J.
    wow
    you keep yourself busy!!!
    glad you were ok and have a lot of fun

Quote Originally Posted by AJ
    A group of us were in Zion all last week. Did Spry, Full Imlay (PH), Full Heaps (PV), Full Left Fork, Keyhole, and Orderville.

Most of them were my first time through; so I don't have a lot of comparisons; but here it goes.

Spry: Not a lot of water. None of us brought a wetsuit, and none of us wishes we had. Hot approach, start early.

Full Imlay: Awesome canyon. Did hook out of three potholes, heard other teams hooked out of 7. We could have hooked out of less, but we were running low on time (we were trying to do it in a day for our first pass through.) Did use some other methods, pack tosses, etc. Water was definitely lower than normal. First pothole escape was the most challenging, as the lip was a little overhung. Not too big of an issue though, if you've done hooking before. Lots of cold water. Two in drysuits, mine leaked. Was a little chilled. One in a 5mm full wetsuit, other in a 2/3 full with 2/3 farmer john and paddle jacket. Both of them got chilled at times, but were able to warm up easily as we found plenty of sun in the canyon.

Full Heaps: My new favorite canyon in the states. Awesome stuff. No hooking, but lots of creativity. Especially in the final two sections that most people go around. Again, lots of cold water. Brought thicker fleece under my drysuit; found the leak, but the duct tape didn't hold. Still leaked. Wasn't cold though with the thicker fleece. Two others had same wetsuits as above, both were chilled, but again not bad. Got through it in a day. Thanks Tom for the extra gear!

Full Left Fork: Hammerhead, Wildcat, Upper Left, Das Boot and Subway. WAY less water than last year. Brought my Heaps setup, as I was anticipating flowing water like last year. Wrong. Very few swims, mostly dry rock hopping. One pothole swim in Upper Left, swim at bottom of Das Boot. Others just wading. Can likely do comfortably in 3mm full or possibly 3mm farmer john. Less would likely be cold. Your mileage may vary.

Keyhole: Ran it at night (thanks again Bruce!) First time through, so no comparison, but had one unavoidable chest deep pool, just before the second rap. We all had 3/2 type suits; full, shorty, etc. I had a no sleeve with short legs shorty; and was fine, but I run hot. You could likely go without during the day. Wasn't bad at night either. Fun little canyon.

Orderville: Beautiful canyon; although it's a decent day's hike. Drops can be downclimbed, but are a little glazed so be careful. Graffiti in the upper section is a total bummer. Lower section is beautiful, but gets lots of Narrows traffic. Springs and flowing water about half way through.

It was very hot there last week; temps over 100 every day; with the nights cooling down to 60's or 70's. Water is getting skanky in some canyons. (Some in Imlay, Heaps, and Left. Keyhole definitely skanky.)

Roads are fine for 2wd high-clearance vehicles; including West Rim road, upper parking lot for Orderville, and Mosquito Cove. Could likely do a passenger car 2wd on all, but would have to be careful and slow on them. Subarus made it just fine.

Mosquito cove was hot, but bugs weren't bad. Bugs weren't bad in most of the park. Good springs at Emerald, Subway, Orderville. Found some decent pothole water in Heaps and Imlay.

Hope it helps!
    A.J.

Yeah.. your ticking through the canyons pretty fast. Thanks for keeping us current on conditions.

Re: Zion Conditions

Quote Originally Posted by AJ

Full Heaps: My new favorite canyon in the states. .
    Amen brother! Great canyon. That is why I did it twice in 8 months. It is just a good time from start to finish, particularly the finish.
    Life is Good