Thread: Feinstein might push for fairness doctrine

Feinstein might push for fairness doctrine

http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Top_New...doctrine/9684/

[quote]NewsTrack - Top News

Published: June 24, 2007 at 8:25 PM E-mail Story | Print Preview | License

Feinstein might push for fairness doctrine
    WASHINGTON, June 24 (UPI) -- U.S. Sen. Diane Feinstein, D-Calif., said Sunday she is "looking at" the possibility of reviving the fairness doctrine for U.S. broadcasters.
    Feinstein, speaking on "Fox News Sunday" with Sen. Trent Lott, R-Miss., said talk radio in particular has presented a one-sided view of immigration reform legislation being considered by the Senate.

U.S. talk radio is dominated by conservative voices.

"This is a very complicated bill," said Feinstein. "Most people don't know what's in this bill. Therefore, to just have one or two things dramatized and taken out of context, such as the word amnesty -- we have a silent amnesty right now, but nobody goes into that. Nobody goes into the flaws of our broken system."

Feinstein said the measure before the Senate "fixes those flaws" but that doesn't get presented on talk radio, which she said "pushes people to ... extreme views without a lot of information."

Asked if she would revive the fairness doctrine, which used to require broadcasters to present competing sides of controversial issues, Feinstein said she was "looking at it."

"I remember when there was a fairness doctrine," she said, "and I think there was much more serious correct reporting to people."

Del.icio.us | Digg it | RSS

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

isn't this what free speech + capitalism is all about? If you want to flap your gums and people will pay to listen to you or promote you, regardless of particular political party, go for it. if that means there are more of one persuasion or the other, so be it.

however, I would rather dig my eyes out with a screwdriver than listen to sean hannity. geez.

"I don't agree with this war"

"you are a terrorist. we should all kill you! someone please get me another tank of hot air, I can't continue to produce my own"
    Tear down Dams, Build up Dreams!

Yeah it's a scary proposition when the government starts to dictate what the public hears. If the public wanted left wing radio, then air america and other left wing shows would be doing better. They can't win on their own, so they have to force it on us under the guise of 'fairness'.

Quote Originally Posted by jumar
    Yeah it's a scary proposition when the government starts to dictate what the public hears. If the public wanted left wing radio, then air america and other left wing shows would be doing better. They can't win on their own, so they have to force it on us under the guise of 'fairness'.
    this is precisely the response to her comment i would expect to hear on right wing radio.

I think the Fairness Doctrine's time may be over given all the new media. The law made some sense when we had just a few TV and radio stations that were broadcast through the air, but now I'm not sure if it's relevant.

And you know, coming from me, that's not a right-wing comment. I'm first in line to give Sean Hannity or Rush Limbaugh the ass-whipping of a lifetime if I ever meet one of those little chubby boys in public.

In a way, having people like Hannity or that psychotic gash Ann Coulter in the public spotlight allows us to see how insane the "right" really is. It's like allowing the Klan to march the streets. If you hide these people they become more dangerous. Let 'em rant.
    "The eagle never lost so much time as when he consented to learn of the crow."

-- Wm Blake

this is precisely the response to her comment i would expect to hear on right wing radio.

I feel the same way about people like Rosie or Moore. I don't expect the government to try to try to silence them. Let the market take care of itself. If people want to pay to listen to that sort of thing, let them.

Quote Originally Posted by jumar
    Kerry's Comments on fairness doctrine
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=6pwU0FygLlY

Kerry couldn't have beeen a lamer choice to run against Bush. Lewis Black said running Kerry was like finding a "normal" person who couldn't win in the Special Olympics.
    "The eagle never lost so much time as when he consented to learn of the crow."

-- Wm Blake

The great state of Mass. Its voters continue to grace the United States Senate wtih a confessed war criminal and a drunken killer. It's OK to be liberal, but not scrupleless and retarded.

Quote Originally Posted by nefarious
    The great state of Mass. Its voters continue to grace the United States Senate wtih a confessed war criminal and a drunken killer. It's OK to be liberal, but not scrupleless and retarded.