Thread: TR: Box Elder

TR: Box Elder

After getting turned away two weeks ago, I went back to Box Elder to take care of some unfinished business. This is a great little trail, and I am surprised it gets so little attention. I guess that's the Timpanogos effect?

Full TR here: http://www.danransom.com/TripReports/?p=103

Enjoy.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I do wish you would get out more, as I always thoroughly enjoy your TR's and pics. This one is no exception, great job.
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

Awesome trip report. Box Elder was my first peak in Utah back in 02. your pics brought great memories
    See you on the trail
    Scout Master
    See you on the Trail

Bogley BigShot
    Very nice

Awesome!

Funny you should mention this peak. For some reason the last several days that peak has been jumping out at me on the way to and from work. you can see it well along redwood between Camp Willaims and Saratoga Sprinigs. There it sits all nice and tucked away in the Shadow of Lone Peak and Timp. A peak I have been near while hiking up the Dry Fork creek area but never been to. But now its calling me.. then you have to go and post this great trip report..

We will have to see how long its takes me to put my quest for county highpoints on hold and I give in and run up there instead.

Thanks for the TR
    I'm not lost... I'm just GeoCaching

Carrpy, did you start at Silver Lake Flat?
    ethical pursuit ethical kache

So, when you said, yup, you meant nope it starts from granite flats? Thanks though, I am glad you put up the map, I am so tired of bushwacking to get to trails I am hoping to hardley ever do that again.

Is there a trail from Silver Lake Flats that takes out a bit of elevation? (Not that I am trying to cheat or anything, if you don't start you hike at sea level can you still count it?)

Oh, I gotcha. I figured you meant the main trailhead, and just figured it was the same.

I took the "Deer Creek" trail. Continue up the road above tibble fork reservoir where it enters the campground. Right after the ranger booth, there is parking and the trail starts on the right. About 20 minutes into the hike, take a RIGHT for the easier trail. Don't take the signed "box elder" trail. It is longer and tougher.

As for Silver Flats, I imagine there is a trail from there, but I would rather you didn't use it, simply because there are TONS of ATV tracks from the lake connecting to the trail, and it looks like most are intentionally blocked off by the Forest Service. There were at least 2 or 3 trails that came from that direction, but had been blocked.

The "real" way to do it though, is from Dry Creek out of Alpine. It is 1500 feet or so lower, but probably more wooded and shaded. The Deer Cr. trail is in the full force of the sun.

EDIT: The last .5 mile from the saddle to the ridge is hard to follow. When in doubt, stay to the east side of the ridge, and hug that ridge as tight as you can. There are lots of game trails going every direction.

I hit it this weekend, great hike, neat summit.

Me on top of 5 out of 6.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Part of the trip
    Attached Images Attached Images