Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What laptop should I get?

What laptop should I get?

I currently have a Sony Vaio and I hate it. I'm looking to get a new laptop and this is the laptop at which I am currently looking: This one

Does anyone else have a better suggestion? I'd be curious to know what laptop you recommend and why?

Thanks guys
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: What laptop should I get?

Quote Originally Posted by DiscGo
    I currently have a Sony Vaio and I hate it. I'm looking to get a new laptop and this is the laptop at which I am currently looking: This one

Does anyone else have a better suggestion? I'd be curious to know what laptop you recommend and why?

Thanks guys
    so, i think you should first describe what you dislike about the vaio and, subsequently, describe what you're looking for in a laptop. all of 'em are different, so knowing what you're focused on might help those with experience make more precise suggestions for ya.

It's all really comes down to your liking and need (like stefan said).

1. Are you a PC manly man or a Mac tree hugger? ( had to sneak that one in there)
    2. Do you use your laptop for gaming?
    3. Do you do heavy photoshop/video editing?
    4. Do you need it light and small, or don't care about weight size?
    5. Do you want a desktop replacement or on the go ?
    6. Do you need bunch of USB2, Firewire, DVD-R, BlueRay/HD-DVD?

There is a crazy sale in Dell, (today only, it's part of their 10 days of deals deal) M1210 looks very nice. Its light weight, big enough screen, plenty of RAM and has a decent card for occasional gaming.

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/s...=19&l=en&s=dhs

But reply to my questions above and I am sure everyone will throw in their own opinions and you can chose from.

If you are going with a PC brand, stick with Dell or HP. Those are the major players in laptop business. I heard good things about Utah based company PC Laptops, but I just don't trust the "little guys" anymore.

I have used a Dell laptop as my desktop at work for about 10 years now. My work is full HP and all but one (mine) are HP laptops. They are just as good as Dell really, all bells and whistles.

http://www.alienware.com/product_det...de=SKU-DEFAULT

MuhHAHHAHAHAHAHA

aww...too bad its the price of a used car. But we all SHOULD have one.

that laptop's 15 LBS

Quote Originally Posted by stefan
    that laptop's 15 LBS
    And your point is? It's a good exercise when you go home or drag it to the bathroom....err did I say that out loud?

One of my coworkers has an older AlienWare laptop, and he's not impressed. Sure, it looks sweet, but the sucker weighs about 560 lbs, has horrible battery life, and isn't all that fast.

I've also been less than impressed with Dell's laptops - especially the low end models. Cheap keyboards, so-so displays, bad battery life. I do like my HP laptop though.

Quote Originally Posted by donny h
    How is that Stealth? You could spot that sucker from a mile away.

Quote Originally Posted by kris247
    Quote Originally Posted by donny h
    Looking to drop 5K+?
    How is that Stealth? You could spot that sucker from a mile away.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    Quote Originally Posted by stefan
    that laptop's 15 LBS
    And your point is?

uhh ... that's like heavier than all but the heaviest bowling balls and stuff

Quote Originally Posted by kris247
    One of my coworkers has an older AlienWare laptop, and he's not impressed. Sure, it looks sweet, but the sucker weighs about 560 lbs, has horrible battery life, and isn't all that fast.
    Key word here is "older". But they are a bit over priced

AMD Turion

NERDZ!!!!!
    So, Kid, you think you got what it takes to be a Punch King?

Quote Originally Posted by PunchKing
    NERDZ!!!!!
    uh oh ... them's fighin' werdz

Quote Originally Posted by PunchKing
    NERDZ!!!!!
    ...and proud of it

I have a Dell Inspirion 9400. It's silver. It has a big flat screen with pretty colors. When I push the little round button it turns on. I can type real good. I can play a movie. I like it a lot. (That pretty well sums up my knowledge and contribution to this thread.)
    Life is Good

Unless you pay a fortune for them, laptops are likely to have more problems just because of travel bumps. I have been happy with both my HP laptops. The current one has a 17" screen (very bright, BTW), dual core, 2GB of RAM, NVIDIA graphics, large cache, 120GB of HD, lots of USB, etc, etc. It cost less last year than the ThinkPad you are looking at, despite having much more in features. When I was active and running computer centers, some others in my position always bought IBM. We had as good or better results with others and saved millions.
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

My Sony laptop has been horrible. It will tell me that I have an excellent signal and not allow me to access the internet (all the time). With or without a wireless card. The battery life is very poor, and is just all around poor. The laptop is fine when I plug it in, but the battery life and the wireless capability just suck.

So I am pretty much looking for the opposite in this purchase. I would love to spend less money, I just don't want to compromise quality. I would like to be able to surf the web, watch a movie, look at pictures and keep track of finances without worrying about my cord falling out or the battery life dying.

Thanks for the help guys. I hope you are all doing great!

P.S. Hopefully if I get this laptop soon, I'll start being on more again.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    There is a crazy sale in Dell, (today only, it's part of their 10 days of deals deal) M1210 looks very nice. Its light weight, big enough screen, plenty of RAM and has a decent card for occasional gaming.
    OK, Alex... I just ordered one of these suckers and I'm holding you responsible. I've been meaning to get a laptop for a while but never got around to it. I had been looking at Dell's and the price was good so I pulled the trigger.

Now I can spend even more time on the computer.

I pretty much wanted the computer to do my books on and so I can keep track of my Fantasy Football team while watching the games on the 50" plasma.

I am on RSS feeds for Dell deals and this is the first time I saw they do thise 10 days of Deals deal. That laptop is a great buy for the money.

One trick to these big names computers is to uninstall all the crappy adaware/shareware/trial software they put on them to keep the price of the hardware lower. Make sure to uninstall Norton or it will drive you insane. I really like AVG it's free and does the job right.

I am not big fan of Google Desktop either, takes a lot of resources to run and constantly grinds your harddrive.