Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TR: Oak, Holy Sh@t!, Mystery

TR: Oak, Holy Sh@t!, Mystery

We had a good weekend in Zion. I hooked up with the Ram Clan and Team Spidey for S.F. Oak on Friday. Then Bruce Newman and Kip joined us on Saturday. Sunday I tagged along on the last day of the Bakefest to do the huge rappel at the end of Hidden, which ended with a core shot that was two inches long. Topped it off Monday with Aaron Ramras in Mystery. All were excellent canyons.

Here are the TRs and pics -

Eye of the Needle - http://www.danransom.com/TripReports/?p=91

Holy Sh@t - http://www.danransom.com/TripReports/?p=97

Mystery - http://www.danransom.com/TripReports/?p=101

Enjoy.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Great TR and pics as always. Did you guys run into any water between the last 2 raps in Mystery? all the beta I read there was supposed to be a pool at the bottom of a small cliff/rock jam thing. It was filled with sand when we went through.

That rope on the 400 ft rap is SCARY! how much does that weaken the rope? I'm glad we didn't hear about you guys on the news.
    The man thong is wrong.

Yep, the pool is still filled in. We got knee deep at the springs, and that was it.

Not sure the details on the rope, as it happened after I left. I'll wait for Tom to post some details on that. Pretty wild, as it wasn't even there when I went down.

So I guess now might be a good time to mention that Eye of the Needle (Oak Creek) is closed and you were trespassing....

I attempted to point this out on the Yahoo Group to those who should know better but it appears I have been banned/moderated/muzzled for pointing out that shared access is a reasonable solution..... or maybe it was because I called a moderator a dumbass..... the reasoning is kinda lost on me either way.....

Anyhoo... probably not a good idea to do the route until the problems have been straighten out.

Whoops!!
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Fantastic photos. Nice to see by buddies in the Eye of the Needle. That is a fun, cold canyon. That shot of Mav is priceless. The night time photo is cool. Great stuff as always.
    Life is Good

Bogley BigShot
    Excellent photos! Loved the report.

Shane, what is the reason for the closure of Oak? Will this be for long...do you think?

All reasonable access is currently across private property that is posted No Trespassing.

I'm not exactly sure which parts of Oak Creek are on BLM land and which are on private land, but I'm not sure it matters because it appears all of the reasonable access crosses private property.

I believe Zion Adventure Company currently has permission to cross the private property and guide Eye of the Needle. I believe several others (Tom Jones and the ZCC) have attempted to get land owner permission to cross the private property. I know at least one fella has looked into getting access through some type of historic right-a-way.

I really don't have a clue what will happen with this canyon...... its a sweet canyon and I hope something can be worked out. My current thoughts are respecting the land owners current wishes will yield the best future results. Its not like there is a shortage of canyons to do until this gets worked out.

Bogley BigShot
    Just a wild guess.... but guides sometimes try to work with private land owners - who offer to pay the landowner and thus no one besides that guide is allowed to visit the canyon. A guide tried that here with Red Cave, but luckily they could go around and use the Thunderbird property instead. The land owner on that claims that he still owns some property, but I cannot imagine how?

I like the slipping in under the cover of darkness... Good work.
    I'm out of bed and dressed, what more could you want?

www.sinuhexavier.com

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    So I guess now might be a good time to mention that Eye of the Needle (Oak Creek) is closed and you were trespassing....
    Huh, that's funny, 'cause this doesn't say anything about it being closed...

http://www.climb-utah.com/Zion/oc-sf1.htm

-Brian in SLC

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC

-Brian in SLC
    That might be true, but if you were a member, you would see that there is a warning that the canyon is considered close.

All things considered, a buddy and I did it back on 15 Jul 05, we talked to the owner I believe, just when we were leaving the truck at the water tank. He said we were welcomed to go thru the camp at anytime, no problem, as long as we were polite and curtousy to people within the camp area. What happened after that, I have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Wasatch
    That might be true, but if you were a member, you would see that there is a warning that the canyon is considered close.
    If I had some ham, I could have ham and eggs, if I had some eggs.

He said we were welcomed to go thru the camp at anytime, no problem, as long as we were polite and curtousy to people within the camp area. What happened after that, I have no idea.
    Kinda one of those things... Out of sight, out of mind. But, when folks get pushy and ask in the wrong way...

Kinda like making a deal out of this in the first place. What purpose did that serve?

Bad enough when folks piss in their own cheerios....

Great pictures, though. Great canyon and a fun gig.

-Brian in SLC

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC

-Brian in SLC

Quote Originally Posted by tanya

Tanya - As a member of the smiley face police, I'm going to have to issue you a citation for exceeding your quota for the day!

Bogley BigShot

Oh no Joe! I am innocent! Really

PS.... we yahoo users like Quotes, but Summit will say you are worse than just about anything if you use them! I still intend to use quotes since I like them and feel like I am neglecting people when I do not and they can get sort of artsy even.

Most of the people here are nice though and let you be you. I am glad you are posting here so there is another friendly face.

For those that don't know Joe! Here he is.... with Bo and I on Lady Mountain oh... actually think this is when we did Bridge Mountain?

Oh no Joe! I am innocent! Really

PS.... we yahoo users like Quotes, but Summit will say you are worse than just about anything if you use them! I still intend to use quotes since I like them and feel like I am neglecting people when I do not and they can get sort of artsy even.

Most of the people here are nice though and let you be you. I am glad you are posting here so there is another friendly face.

For those that don't know Joe! Here he is.... with Bo and I on Lady Mountain oh... actually think this is when we did Bridge Mountain?

No, you were right the first time! Lady Mountain

:

Most of the people here are nice though and let you be you.
    Bah, how come no one has told me that! Here I am trying to be not me to please everyone....

*takes off his trousers, puts on a robe, plunges onto a couch and scratches his crouch*

Ahhh, that's better, thanks tanya!

Dan-

How did the new water housing work out?

The shots look great...
    I'm out of bed and dressed, what more could you want?

www.sinuhexavier.com