Thread: Logging in to access a forum topic/category??

Logging in to access a forum topic/category??

I have a question. Who keeps putting a restriction and making you log-in to be able to access a category on the forum index? What does this prevent? Any spammer can get an account of any age. I noticed it awhile ago, and it bothered me, however, after noticing all of the activity in the canyoneering forum, when I try and click on that link, it now makes me log in first. Someone just did this....frustrating it is.

Sooo, who is doing this? Was it an admin decision, or are the mods doing this? Why is this only limited to a few catagories/threads? I mean, why not make you have to log-in to access anything on the website?

I think this is as silly as the whole "no writing the word God" policy a year or two ago. The deleting of the thread was uncalled for as well...I can see locking something that gets out of control, but not deleting it unless is was a very ugly circumstance. Hell, I have had it out with many old timers on this forum (like my old buddy James B Wads) and those threads still stand. Self-regulation is best, and then I think that stepping in, to ask people to calm down is a better approach. Then, if all else fails, lock it up. Not to mention, I think that some deleting may be personally or emotionally driven.
    ~Jason

Man who run behind car become exhausted...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I don't see the behavior you're describing. Are you blocking cookies by any chance?

Re: Logging in to access a forum topic/category??

Quote Originally Posted by derstuka
    I have a question. Who keeps putting a restriction and making you log-in to be able to access a category on the forum index? What does this prevent? Any spammer can get an account of any age. I noticed it awhile ago, and it bothered me, however, after noticing all of the activity in the canyoneering forum, when I try and click on that link, it now makes me log in first. Someone just did this....frustrating it is.

Sooo, who is doing this? Was it an admin decision, or are the mods doing this? Why is this only limited to a few catagories/threads? I mean, why not make you have to log-in to access anything on the website?
    well partly me and partly the admin.

it has been discussed a number of times to make the political/enviromental sections as "basement threads" which are accessible my forum members only. although when the polical arena started, it was open to public access, some time ago it was changed to uutah member-access only.

political/social/enviro threads which are of a contentious nature are moved to this location. this is modus operandi for uutah.

it was appropriate to move that thread to the enviro section

Re: Logging in to access a forum topic/category??

Quote Originally Posted by stefan

well partly me and partly the admin.

it has been discussed a number of times to make the political/enviromental sections as "basement threads" which are accessible my forum members only. although when the polical arena started, it was open to public access, some time ago it was changed to uutah member-access only.

political/social/enviro threads which are of a contentious nature are moved to this location. this is modus operandi for uutah.

it was appropriate to move that thread to the enviro section
    If this was a pay forum, I could see the point, however, anyone of any age with 20 seconds can create an account free of charge...then login, and have a look see. So I do not see the point. Heated arguments/language can occur in any forum, and under any topic. I am beginning to see signs of big brother over-moderating, and I don't like it. Yes, you will say, "take it up with the admin if you do not like it." I was speaking to them as well.

ALL FOR SELF-REGULATION/LESS MODERATION! FREE UUTAH ONCE AGAIN, THE WAY IT ONCE WAS!

There, I am done for the day....good night, and be sure to tip your waitress on your way out!
    ~Jason

We were thinking we'd scare off some outdoor enthusiasts if they were lurking around in the political forum, and would decide not to join because of the garbage that goes on there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    We were thinking we'd scare off some outdoor enthusiasts if they were lurking around in the political forum, and would decide not to join because of the garbage that goes on there.
    Last time I looked, you were at something like several thousand members...half of which probably are spammers. I highly doubt conversations as such in those two forums are scaring anybody away. Some people have said they will leave, however, they end up coming back quietly a couple of weeks later.

FREE UUTAH ONCE AGAIN!!! Less moderating, more open discussion. Lets not let Uutah become like a government regulated industry! I think that Sefan (and others maybe) is taking this moderating business too literally. I mean, most people speed a tad over the limit each day, however, most cops don't cite you for it, unless they are on a mission for a quota, or looking to take full use of their authority, or just are just plain being mean.

FREE UUTAH ONCE AGAIN!!!
    FREE UUTAH ONCE AGAIN!!!
    FREE UUTAH ONCE AGAIN!!!
    FREE UUTAH ONCE AGAIN!!!
    FREE UUTAH ONCE AGAIN!!!
    ~Jason

Some people have said they will leave, however, they end up coming back quietly a couple of weeks later.

Yeah, I know. But I think we're getting greedy.

I log in and forget about it. Every few weeks I clean all my cookies and have to log in again. whats the big deal? Logging in has its advantages , namely the "post since you last visit" link at the top right. I cant live without that.

Though there was an issue today with a thread deleted, so what. Whoever owns the site cane do with the board as they choose and I can't complain. They assigned moderators and if they don't like the way they act they can replace them or not.

Rob

What? There's a political section?
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    Some people have said they will leave, however, they end up coming back quietly a couple of weeks later.

Yeah, I know. But I think we're getting greedy.
    I think you are still upset about losing "Superterrific" awhile back....hahahaha...I think Dirk got rid of her if I remember correctly! Funny how some people can dish it out but not take it back.
    ~Jason