Thread: Jumping Tips....

Jumping Tips....

Ok, so if you've read my intro post in the newbies forum you'll see that I'm a new rider. I usually pick things up pretty quickly, but the other day had a bit of a mishap trying out some jumps. Nothing big, just some little rolling jumps, but I kept finding myself getting a little crooked in the air. Not like turning one way or another, but more like my body and bike leaning left a bit. Enough so that it toppled me once. I imagine I just have bad form since I'm a bit new on the bike. Any tips are welcome, and here are some pics if they help any...

The jump, and liftoff (I crashed on this actual attempt). Bad form or anything noticeable? Besides my silly facial expression of course...

The ending...me spitting out some dirt

The damages, luckily they were minor so the rest of the ride was still fun.

Some of you may know this jump? It's a little branch off the Shoreline trail in Ogden, near the Rainbow Loop or Rainbow something.

If someone could give a little step by step of their approach to jumps and what they do, that would be cool.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

http://www.declinemagazine.com/visua...vol2_jumps.htm

Besides the volumes of good stuff in this vid (and it's sequel):
    - lower seat.
    - don't jump clipped-in!...put on a pair of BMX-style flat pedals and wear appropriate shoes.
    - wear pads!
    - remove bar ends...or they'll eventually remove your spleen, liver, and/or family jewels in a crash.

Have fun! :D

Yeah, I think I'm going to take my bar ends off too.

Quote Originally Posted by SprungShoulders
    http://www.declinemagazine.com/visua...vol2_jumps.htm

Besides the volumes of good stuff in this vid (and it's sequel):
    - lower seat.
    - don't jump clipped-in!...put on a pair of BMX-style flat pedals and wear appropriate shoes.
    - wear pads!
    - remove bar ends...or they'll eventually remove your spleen, liver, and/or family jewels in a crash.

Have fun! :D
    Thanks...I guess the problem with some of that anyway is that I pretty much only jump on these side trails etc...so my seat is just at comfortable riding height, and I'm clipped all ready from the ride. I'll check out that video though and see what I can do. Oh and pads have since been purchased :)

just don't jump
    lol

I havent been on my bike for a month now, from busting my ribs.....cuz I was an idiot and was doing jumps on the bottom end of Lower Green Pond.
    Just stay on the friggin ground. Horse ruts are still safer than air.
    I used to be concerned about my apathy, but now I don't care anymore.

I had a buddy that nearly castrated himself on his bar ends towards the end of the Porqupine Rim trail.

Bar ends do nothing for me except grab branches and other debris on the way down a trail.

I've found that it is a lot easier to jump on a hard tail bike than a fully suspended one. The last time I attempted a big jump on my Enduro, the rear shock recoiled way too fast and kicked my ass end up as I left the end of the jump. It's a natural endo in the making. I've since reduced the recoil rate.

Another perspective

After my endo, my wife shot these clips of B & D jumping in Bomber Alley.

Observation.
    Speed.
    Balance.
    Proper Gear - IE full Face Helmets.
    Being 20 and fearless helps
    Live Life, Don't Watch Life!